Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
took a first, 2nd and 3rd look at this machine, read a few reviews found and ordered one. Price was right with a gift and discount cards to lessen the impact.

I love Christmas time.
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I really enjoy my Vulcan machines
so now I can say I have only one well two welding machines that are not orange... and those two are engine driven.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Boiler God

Norm and I, after the Chinese Buffet, went to HF, where Norm was ogling the small Vulcan stick welder, seemed interested, but not enough to complete the deal.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
where Norm was ogling the small Vulcan stick welder
Jack, do you know of anyone that has one or has used one?

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
How did you get away with a discount card on vulcan
Not bought in store. I'm thinking it pays to participate in the HF CEO's(?????) emails sent after making a large dollar purchase and short simple poll etc on past purchases, possibly.

There are discounts that I receive by email that seem to be over and beyond what the local stores will honor. Perfectly ok with me ether way.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Lord of the Minions

Ok, out of the boxes, both somewhat off the floor for use. The Vulcan has it's very own rolling stand and container for consumables and the Lincoln now has wheels and a higher off the floor footprint.

As well I added a s/s screen mesh for all openings into and out of the machines while they breathe to keep the little 4 legged critters from nesting and/or munching on innards. This is something I do for most all equipment motorized for the same reasons. I do annual cleaning of these screens as dust and grim do tend to attach to the screens.

I ran beads for a few hours with each with every known rod I have in house of adequate sizings for the machines and even pressed both with those rods known to be too big for their abilities. While dicey, I was still able to make a bead of known worth after destructive testing of the coupons.

FWIW, the Vulcan, while data tells it's of higher amperage, performed as well as my Econotig does in stick in both AC and DC, in fact a little better due to it's higher settings.

If I was asked to give a rating on the Vulcan Commander, I'd have to say thumbs up for ability, price and user friendliness.

Of course, the Lincoln tombstones in either AC or AC/DC are found to be both able and useful around a shop, hobby shop, garage or farm use. Hard to beat unless you have one of vintage production.

Now, what do I do about the original intentions for the Girl? I'm afraid she'll be getting the Lincoln full time, but will allow her to borrow the Vulcan if she wants.

I invited her over yesterday to let her have a go at welding on all of my machines, but did not have time for a TIG or Al wire lesson on the 350P, but there will be more time for that down the road.

At the end of the day I had her help me pick up the new Lincoln with it hanging off the lift on the SA, gave her a few rod tubes to keep the rods in and have her follow me to her house.

She was more than surprised to hear me tell her to open her garage/shop and me back into and place it in a suitable corner next to the 220 outlet where the old AC machine used to sit and told her "Happy Merry Xmas".

Gave her the rules of ownership and she happily agreed to "not" let her Dad screw with it and that it was for her use only. Well, her boyfriend was told he could use it as well. He's currently in the Coast Guard and a good kid as well. He was amazed at what I was doing for her.

I guess "a girls tears" are/is adequate proof of appreciation in a big way. She is a good kid and I love her in an honest family way. I have few cousins worth a shit, she being the only exception.

She mentioned wanting a coal forge like the one I'm currently putting together with a tank cap. I told her as soon as my overtime ended, she would be welcomed into my shop with help and my tools to make that happen.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:28 PM

LW... Sounds like it all worked out for you.
it is good to do for those who are worthy.

Mary Christmas....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-16-2017, 10:41 PM
I can dig it

LW, I'd say that deserves an "attaboy".
Old 12-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Elite Member

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Lord of the Minions

There are times I've asked for her assistance with some of the things I do around the place that allows her to increase her skill set with the work she has undertaken on her place.

I had plans to purchase a nice round bailer but that fell through, but I do still have use of a nice sq bailer that I maintain for a friend who's able to run it but not service it. With that bit of good luck, I have the ability to cut my grass and bail it with her and the boyfriend to pick it up with her covering the cost of fuel and maintenance as it crops up.

It's all a win win for her and myself if you look hard at the situation.

Like I've said before, she's a great and willing learn farm work kid. I can do for her when her dad won't much less afford to do.

It ensures my spot as Family Asshole just that much more.