Curmudgeon

Looks like a good choice.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Let me clue you in on something, the name of the forum is ShopFloorTalk.
We are an honestly blunt group. SFT got started by a bunch of us getting
tossed off other "overly moderated" forums.

We scream and yell at one another, cuss, etc. But I and the other admins will
not moderate discussion. Occasionally as a thread changes direction we may
move it but we do not delete or edit posts. BTW, I cannot count the number
of time Jack and Scott have 'disagreed'. They both have strong opinions.
Fweew, that's good to know, and honestly I'd rather have brutal honesty than sugar coating any day. But when people get butt hurt they get knowledge greedy. I work construction and shops my whole life and as a greenhorn I'd rather not have people shut me off of some knowledge ( though I've been in the field/shop since I was 18, only 23 now).
I don't mind how SFT is run, I spose it was a bit of a shocker for my first thread on this site, especially considering the super mellow sites I was on before here. I spose also this is the first constructiony place I've been to where you assume I'm a guy so there's no censuring what you say. I really don't care care but most guys watch their language around me so I don't get this side of conversation much. Very interesting.

Now all I have to by is an air filter
Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Gold Star Dad

Seems that some go with the Motorguard filters. They may still have a kit that includes 2 or 3 filters that was priced below a kit with just one (???) back in the day.

"The filters are available individually (M-30 or M-60) or in kits: M-45 contains an M-30 with two spare M-723 elements, M-100 contains an M-60 with two spare M-723 elements"

http://motorguard.com/air_2.html

There's not much cussing here, though we are all fluent.

Last edited by USMCPOP; 09-12-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Seems that some go with the Motorguard filters. They may still have a kit that includes 2 or 3 filters that was priced below a kit with just one (???) back in the day.

"The filters are available individually (M-30 or M-60) or in kits: M-45 contains an M-30 with two spare M-723 elements, M-100 contains an M-60 with two spare M-723 elements"

http://motorguard.com/air_2.html

There's not much cussing here, though we are all fluent.
Dick,

you seems to have good luck with yours, mine never seem to make any difference, I ended having to go to a desiccant filter, to get adequate supply of clean, dry air.

I use the large wall mounted one in the shop and the disposable ones, at the jobsites.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Gold Star Dad

I don't have a plasma or a Motorguard filter. I do note that Motorguard has some 3-stage filter setup for painting that seems to include the filter I mentioned as one stage. Another stage is a desiccant filter.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 PM

Miller makes a nice little inline air filter, it is not a replacement for a good filter dryer, but it is inexpensive and will add a decent level of protection until you get a better setup, I have one between my heavy truck air dryer and my Hypermax 65, (wish I bought an 85) the element is still spotless after about 4 years and miles of cutting/ gouging. the heavy truck air dryer was used when I put it on because it was what I had handy, if I rig up another cutter I will go with another AD9 dryer.

if you can get a vertical tank compressor and keep the tank drained that will help.

you will find the members here very helpful, and arguments are fairly rare in the fab section.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Curmudgeon

Grizz, what kind of humidity do you have to deal with in Alberta?
FeSpark is Jawja; in some parts of that state they have scrape moss off the windshields every morning.

The humidity is here usually famously low, often in the teens - except when it's high, like right now at 53%. It has bounced between 33% & 100% today.
Though I rarely detect any moisture in either system I have one Motorguard on my blast cabinet & another on the almost-orphaned plasma cutter.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM

There is always a lot of concern regarding moisture in compressed air....and how it affects consumable parts life. In reality, the newer Hypertherm torches (last 10 years or so) are designed to have minimal effect with relatively normal amounts of water. These units all have a built in particulate filter as well as a coalescing moisture / oil trap with an auto drain. If there is mopisture getting to the Hypertherm system....you will see a small puddle under the plasma power supply!

In many regions of the US the humidity levels are reasonable....and for light duty, home shop use all I recommend doing (if you have a Hypertherm plasma) is to drain the air compressor tank daily....better yet, install an auto drain (all of your air tools will work better for it).

If you are in areas with high humidity, add some sort of inline filter or moisture trap if you have seen that puddle of moisture under your system, however if you do add an inline filter I strongly recommend that an air pressure gauge be installed (hard plumbed) right at the inlet to the plasma , after any filters. This gauge will indicate low inlet pressure as the filter saturates. Hypertherm also has an add on line filter, the Motorguard canister filters are also well liked by many.

I have a Powermax45 in my home shop....have had it for over 8 years. It has been used without any external filters since new. Condumable life is awesome....and during the high humidity months here in NH (July, August) I have seen a few puddles under the power supply....still no issues.

To recap: 1. Not all plasma torch consumables are as susceptible to rapid wear caused by moisture in the air. 2. Be sure to add a pressure gauge if you add filters. 3. Drain air compressor tank daily.

I work for Hypertherm, and speak from 39 years of plasma cutting experience. Jim Colt

FeSpark....let us know how that Powermax30XP works for you! If you have any questions feel free to contact me. jim.colt@hypertherm.com
Old 09-13-2016, 08:55 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Miller makes a nice little inline air filter, it is not a replacement for a good filter dryer, but it is inexpensive and will add a decent level of protection until you get a better setup, I have one between my heavy truck air dryer and my Hypermax 65, (wish I bought an 85) the element is still spotless after about 4 years and miles of cutting/ gouging. the heavy truck air dryer was used when I put it on because it was what I had handy, if I rig up another cutter I will go with another AD9 dryer.

if you can get a vertical tank compressor and keep the tank drained that will help.

you will find the members here very helpful, and arguments are fairly rare in the fab section.
A truck filter is a desiccant type and is very good choice if you don't have to buy one new. I use a Princess Auto desiccant $30 dryer on my Hyper but it became apparent that the cheap price was recovered by charging almost 28 bucks for the desiccant. I ended up using silica gel desiccant because after it turns blue you can heat it in an oven to drive off the water and make it pink again.
I also use the Motorguard filter but instead of buying their cellulose filters I use a roll of toilet paper. When the TP gets wet it swells and shuts off the air, and then you need to change the TP and desiccant.
Been cutting on my CNC table for 10 years now and I can't say I have ever blown a tip from water with this protection on it. I have the dryer setup on the wall, and if I have to paint, I can draw my paint gun air through it as well.

In my area of Alberta humidity will be as high as 93% in summer but usually much less. In winter you could run without any protection, as the cold squeezes all the water out of the air and it is dry. A properly plumbed shop air system will also do wonders to remove water rather than hoses laying on the floor. They seem to hoard water, and will wash out air tools and shorten their life as well.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackit View Post
I don't have a repair shop so I put these filters on all my air powered equipment, I have never experienced a moisture problem since using them.

http://www.usaweld.com/Super-Dry-for...p/superdry.htm
The orange replaceable one, the link says it turns clear when it's needing replacement. Can you wait for it to dry out and keep using it?

Are their any decent prices filtration systems that don't have consumable parts that you know of?

Last edited by FeSpark; 09-13-2016 at 09:17 AM.