Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Default Advice on 4-53 Detroit Diesel

Does anyone know of a good forum to post questions on these 2-stroke diesels? I don't have much experience with these engines and I'd like to figure out why it was torn down. The present owner has the cylinder head, pistons, sleeves, and oil pan. I have yet to pick them up. I have never seen deposits like this, in the air box. Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-53-02.JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	39815   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-53-00.JPG
Views:	2158
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	39817  

Last edited by VW cat; 01-05-2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Removed text.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
That HURT!

Looks like it was run pretty low on oil, got really hot, and sucked the seals on the blower. Providing the head or block didn't crack, they are (or were) pretty cheap to rebuild. Last time I did one it was about $225/hole for a liner, piston, rings, rod, and bearings but that was a while ago and I'm sure it's more but there are plenty of aftermarket parts.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Project Phoenix

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/m...95/12495.shtml

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I can dig it

Are these the two strokes that can kick back, and run in reverse? I seem to recall a Detroit that could do that....and when it happened, there was someway that it could start sucking the engine oil in to run off of.......not sure of all the details though.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM

You could also try thedieselgarage.com
Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Are these the two strokes that can kick back, and run in reverse? I seem to recall a Detroit that could do that....and when it happened, there was someway that it could start sucking the engine oil in to run off of.......not sure of all the details though.
I accidently got a 6-71 running in reverse about 30 years ago. The truck was a Eculid R20 dumptruck.

I was going up the hill in a quarry and did not quite make it up the hill, too high a gear at the time, it stalled out, rolled a bit backwards and started running in reverse. Did not get the clutch pushed in time.

Exhaust smoke out the air cleaner. Hit the brakes hard and pushed in the clutch together. Pulled the diesel pedal back and killed it. Then hit the starter button and it started runnning like it was supposed to.

Went up the hill in compound. Wide screaming open.

Did not seem to be any damage done.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Elite Member

VW, It looks like the engine was shut down with the emergency stop, instead of the fuel rack. That will damage the blower seals and the lube oil will start to leak in around the rotors in the blower. Detroit still has rebuild kits for the blower and piston and sleeve kits. Have the head checked and do the valves, you have it this far down. If the head and block aren't cracked this engine can be rebuilt better than new. Norm

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

The two cycle diesel is truly a filthy engine at the best of times. In my experience with the 6-71 engines, the condition shown, as well as running out of engine oil can be caused by low idle. Low idle allows the engine to run cool and with low air pressure the piston will slobber oil into the airbox. There are airbox drains to remove this, that always blow a little charge air, and when they plug the fun starts. Idle at 12-1400 and don't make a habit of it. These things are happiest howling their lungs out under maximum load.
Rebuilding is simple and they are a torquey little devel when running right. No bottom end power, as any 2 cycle, but they have a place in industry.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvuskong View Post
I accidently got a 6-71 running in reverse
Like Harvuskong, I have had this happen to me.

The first time was with a early 1960's Parsons wheel ditcher with a 6 cylinder mechanically injected,non-turbo, Detroit diesel.The wheel hit something at the bottom of the ditch,I hit the clutch, and my foot popped off the pedal almost immediately after. The engine made a funny sound, and started running backwards,smoking out the air cleaner and sucking air through the exhaust. I got it stopped by pulling the emergency air shut off closed .

The second time was with a 1977 Brigadier semi with a 6-71?? and 15 speed transmission (10 road gears,five deep reduction-great for stringing pipe).Something similar happened-foot popped off side of clutch at a very low forward speed, and this too started running backwards. Fifteen speeds in rewind, and two forward--not very practical, but it did run

In both cases,there was no damage done to the engines.

Dave
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate every post. No need to post the question anywhere else, lots of knowledge on these engines here. Can't imagine one of these running backwards.

There are huge chunks of carbon coming out of the block cavities. No doubt the result of heat and oil. Possibly a complete rebuild needed, once I find out if the block and head are not cracked. When it says emergency stop, I guess that it what it means, when tripping the blower air flap.

No grindings in the oil filter. The owner has a 4-53T spare so I'm not sure which way it will go. Machine pic below, isn't she lovely. Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clark 1.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	39838