Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Anyone that needs a rules list is already persona non grata.
100% on that one. :-)
...lew...
Old 12-18-2016, 01:08 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
........... All too often I get told how 'great' I am, or how 'wonderful' I do a job. If I choose to teach someone else how to do it, the mystery dissolves. If I show a customer how easily I accomplish their task, they tend to get pissy and decide I'm overcharging.
That's a common fact in most of the skilled trades. Tradespeople don't spend 4-5 years learning because it's easy, but after that, we can often make some things look very easy.

As I said to a guy one time, I don't have to make it perfect, I have to make "you" think it's perfect. Often what the average person thinks is an amazing job, we can still critique and find things that could have been better.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Old 12-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Gold Star Dad

If I had a list, it'd be buried in the garage shop with all the other stuff I can't find. The only people who have access are those slender enough to navigate the rat maze.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Director of Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
That's a common fact in most of the skilled trades. Tradespeople don't spend 4-5 years learning because it's easy, but after that, we can often make some things look very easy.

As I said to a guy one time, I don't have to make it perfect, I have to make "you" think it's perfect. Often what the average person thinks is an amazing job, we can still critique and find things that could have been better.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Loving that second paragraph!

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 12-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Post Fiend

Back to OP and agreeing with the others: If someone needs a "list" to remind them how to behave in a shop, they haven't been trained properly.

When I hire someone, the first thing I show them is the "Workman's Comp Shovel". If they get injured on the job, the shovel is used to beat them to death, then to bury them with afterwards...

If I were to have a sign it would be "A dead or injured employee is a non-productive employee and will be terminated"

There is a very small group of people that I will let borrow a hand tool. Those are usually the ones I know who will return them in a timely manner. The problem I have is that I'll forget they borrowed the tool and I'll never see it again. I recently needed a band clamp tool and I tore both shops apart looking for it but it was non-existent...

I do not loan or allow use of power tools. If someone needs a hole drilled in a piece of metal (for example), I'll take it, pop a hole in, deburr and sand and a couple minutes later "here you go". This will be done for free for a favor to be later specified. Favors unpaid compound interest the next time...

Something welded, on the other hand, will always incur some sort of fee. Some old guy stopped in looking for a trailer hitch receiver tube to be welded onto his bumper. About 6" of weld, a 2min. job not including setup. I don't plug in the welder for less than $20 and he opened his wallet and showed me $18 and would he need to go to the bank? $18 was fine but after chatting with him while I worked I probably would have done it for free he was that jovial of a fellow. (I only took his money because he wasn't broke...)

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-19-2016, 12:21 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I found out the hard way when I was younger and naive that anytime someone wants a screwdriver, you have to first make sure that's really the tool they need. More often than not, your screwdriver is about to be a chisel or a prybar, both of which are tools you also had readily available.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Elite Member

I don't have visitors except for a neighbors cat that comes over every night. He doesn't break anything but sometimes shits where I walk. New rule...no shitting in the path!
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Voice of Experience

A rules list in the shop is for people you really don't want or need in there...

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..