Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 04-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
Hi,
I guess the easiest/cheapest way to build a tire hammer...

Is in one of Clay's Workshops?

I think the biggest hassle is gathering up all the steel you need.

I do have 3 different welders, lathe, mill, horizontal commercial saw, plasma cutter, ect. ect.

I found a great deal on a Hypertherm 45 and tried to get my workplace to buy one.

They wouldn't spend the bucks, so I bought one for myself!

Just sayin got the tools and can get the metal, but ain't got the time, right now!!!

A few others here have his designs in use..

I figure for the 1200.00 for the get together and to have everything supplied it becomes a no brainer.. 2 days and it's done.. I could round everything up, cut and lay out everything but eh, I'll go and support the group..

Dude you have to start some threads.. You do really nice work and have been active a long time.. I imagine you have lots to contribute and of course any information is welcomed..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 AM

Hi,
Thats NOT my work!

Just a pic I saw in my ramblings! (you said you liked German Anvils!!!)

Everything I have made I have sold or give away years ago!

I've been mostly Gunsmithing and machine rebuilding, using my lathe and mill.

I want to set up my Blacksmith shop again.

Knives, utensils, fireplace sets, ect. ect.

I was talking to a pro Blacksmith at a class I was taking...

He said the biggest money maker to time/materials that there ever was, was a wall hook!

That's a hook that screws to the wall that maybe you hang your car keys on when you come in the house!

He said he forged at least 200 EVERY morning to get warmed up for the day!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbbbbbbbb.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	138841  
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
Old 04-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Gold Star Dad

Jen, very elegant spoon/fork. Love the pattern.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Hi,
Thats NOT my work!

Just a pic I saw in my ramblings! (you said you liked German Anvils!!!)

Everything I have made I have sold or give away years ago!

I've been mostly Gunsmithing and machine rebuilding, using my lathe and mill.

I want to set up my Blacksmith shop again.

Knives, utensils, fireplace sets, ect. ect.

I was talking to a pro Blacksmith at a class I was taking...

He said the biggest money maker to time/materials that there ever was, was a wall hook!

That's a hook that screws to the wall that maybe you hang your car keys on when you come in the house!

He said he forged at least 200 EVERY morning to get warmed up for the day!!!
I do like the North German anvil design the best.. Preferably with side shelf..

When I become a real blacksmith I will buy one..

200 even at 2minutes per which is way short.. Even on my best day it would take about 3minutes per including punching the holes.. I can't imagine him doing 200 a day + drilling all the holes.. So figure 5 minutes per hook, Thats nearly 1000 minutes that would be 16hrs or 16.6 hrs.. i think the guy was rooking you..

On a good day when in hammer shape I could produce a hand made 16 penny nail sized nail in 1 minute.. Averaging about 52 nails per hour..

This rate is not sustainable as one gets muscle fatigue.. LOL.. so first hour figure 52, second hour 50, 3rd hour 48.. Till you reach production level which then flat lines at a given number say between 40 and 45 per hour..

Even with a skilled power hammer operator with open dies I doubt they could get much better than 1 minute forge time on one of those hooks..

Then to twist it.. bend it, etc. etc.. I think the guy was pulling your leg..

From the looks of it it's either 3/8 or 1/2" stock.. this makes it even more of a story..

anyhow, maybe he does and I don't know what i'm talking about or he is just that good of a smith..

He must sell a lot of hooks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Jen, very elegant spoon/fork. Love the pattern.
Thanks Pops.. I'm trying..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 04-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Hi,
You are probably right!

Maybe he was just trying to make a point?

I think if I made 50 in a day I would go crackers, as the Brits say!

I DO believe he might be right as far as material/time, to profit???

How much money would you have to make in a working shop to make a decent living???

The guy or gal, that goes out and creates something to sale, to feed their kids, have always been Hero's to me!

This is another advantage of taking a real class at a real Art School, for a week or so as...

The Teacher is yours to instruct but also to answer questions, and 90% of them are working Artist!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nnnnnnnn.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	138908  
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Hi,
You are probably right!

Maybe he was just trying to make a point?

I think if I made 50 in a day I would go crackers, as the Brits say!

I DO believe he might be right as far as material/time, to profit???

How much money would you have to make in a working shop to make a decent living???

The guy or gal, that goes out and creates something to sale, to feed their kids, have always been Hero's to me!

This is another advantage of taking a real class at a real Art School, for a week or so as...

The Teacher is yours to instruct but also to answer questions, and 90% of them are working Artist!!!
I know 5 full time smiths... back in the 90s I was probably the only 1 of 2 within 100miles that was making a living at being a full time blacksmith and only doing custom forged items with no secondary income from other sources (trust, parents, other side jobs, etc ,etc) I was a full time smith with a new job every week.... But I really hustled and there was a lot of colonial house restorations going on...

The 5 other full time smith's (2 worked at Old Sturbridge village)

The 3rd lived with his parents and bought a house that was falling down but had a good barn.. he would fix stuff as money allowed.. He also started at old Sturbridge village, and is very well known and has worked for museums, old mystic seaport, Campbell Scholls and a slew of others. He is probably one of the most talented forger I know and an artist blacksmith title fits.. He is a starving artist and despite all his success and ability he is always struggling to make a comfortable living..

The 4th is a 5th generation smith and is amazing and inherited the shop from his father.. He specializes in industrial forgings as well as selling steel.. this guy makes the metal jump out of the hammers way... and does ok..

The 5th guy has a wife that makes serious money and he is a trust baby... he claims to be a full time smith but I have only seen him work like once in 3 years.. He used to travel to all the shows I was doing and would ask all sorts of guestions.. really nice guy... he also got his start at old Sturbridge village...

Today the only really successful smith's I know are very diversified. Or specialize in one area but will work on anything..

Keys are to be in the right geographic area..

Basically what I have seen is the online presence, and the resurgence and interest has spurn teaching and the selling of tools into a full time smith position...

With the baby boomers coming into retirement and having income to spend now they have time on there hands and find blacksmithing as the hobby... They make a few things and discover they can sell them on etzty or other channels.. next thing you know they are in business... Again they have retirement income and the blacksmithing is fun work...

If I wasn't a full time farrier I wouldn't ever get back into blacksmithing professionaly. It's to heart wrenching for me.. to depend on it for a full time income..

As an example: I had a couple come by yesterday who want a sign bracket made.... they showed up with a rough sketch, with no measurements.. I spent 20minutes explaining what I needed from a design point and then told them outright the time we were spending would incur a fee since it's design time..
I asked what the budget was they said 150.00.. I told them outright from the sketch it would be in the 400-500.00 range

I told them to go home and come up with measurements and save up some pennies.. When they were ready and had the money and design ready to give me a call..

I had no problem with telling them that because I don't need the work.. Something i would not have had the luxury to do before, so I would have said well, we can do this or this or this, and then I would have gotten it down to 1/2 what it would take and did it for pennies on the dollar.. but it's a job.. Then I would have hated myself..

So, the question I would pose to you is" What would you consider a good income?

I've bee self employed for 38 years.. Personally I think 200K a year is a good living.. I could afford to retire, take vacations, new car, fix up the house, new shop, buy gear, etc, etc..

In 1990 I was making 60.00 hr.. I get 100.00 to 110.00 hour now for custom forge work.. That 100.00 to 110.00 is like making 50.00 today..

One other thing.. I was told repeatedly from the time I was able to understand language.. " If I work hard, and become good at what I do, I will be successful".. I know now, that was a lie.. It takes more than that.. I have a very serious attitude and people find that grating.. I'm as honest and straight shooting as I can be without being mean.. These are not valued attributes.. Networking, socializing, yet being fun hearted etc, etc. and of course "knowing the right people, and playing the game" are more important then being well skilled..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Last edited by allessence; 04-15-2017 at 10:01 AM.