Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
I have an older Speedglas I got with a used welder and while I wouldn't buy one new but it's a decent helmet.

My favorite helmet by far is the Fibre-Metal Pipeliner with either fixed or ArcOne autodark filter. I like that setup because it works well and I can use standard clear cover lenses. I used 3M 5200 to glue a leather flap on the top edge, and trimmed the lower edge so I can tuck my chin comfortably in tight quarters. Both mod ideas were from experienced pipe welders. We kept a section of old portaband blade for a wraparound straight edge to mark trim lines on student helmets with a Sharpie and made the cuts with a cutting disk.

https://www.amazon.com/Fibre-Metal-H...TBG9DDYFZYSKYH

The rubber headband can be replaced by surgical tubing from a Walmart slingshot when it wears.

My neck is trashed and the Pipeliner is very comfortable. I liked this Huntsman

https://www.amazon.com/Huntsman%C2%A.../dp/B009SB5RHS

but my glasses make it unusable and the Pipeliner is IMO as good and costs less. They are the two classic lightweight welding helmets.
I picked up a Fibre Metal 990 Pipeliner with the big lens when I was working in Texas and the headgear went out on my Huntsman. The welding shop in the town didn't carry replacement Huntsman headgear - I think it was related to the Jackson buyout of the brand. So I bought the Fibre Metal helmet because it was the cheapest thing they had. At first I hated it but I have grown to like it. My only complaint is it doesn't hold itself closed all the way when I am looking downward or hanging upside down looking sideways but I think it is just starting to wear out after 3 years of heavy use.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Lord of the Minions

Phone was ringing at 8 this morning, local LWS wanting to know how much I was charging to fix helmets with dead bats' on older helmets. Guess word of mouth travels fast here.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Lord of the Minions

With consideration on my last posting, am I the only one that finds it odd that an LWS would actually call someone in the hopes that a person has had success in removing old batteries and hacking a repair to add new ones in lieu of said LWS not wanting to sell new helmets? or at least new electronics?

I'm guessing there are a wealth of folks out here that find it pissy for a company to sell helmets with pre-destined obsolescence built in.

I do know that when I bought my first, I really gave no thought to that end.

If anyone here would wish to have their helmets battery systems upgraded, please PM me and I can walk you through the work. It's really easy to do, can be successful and self-fulfilling.

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
With consideration on my last posting, am I the only one that finds it odd that an LWS would actually call someone in the hopes that a person has had success in removing old batteries and hacking a repair to add new ones in lieu of said LWS not wanting to sell new helmets? or at least new electronics?

I'm guessing there are a wealth of folks out here that find it pissy for a company to sell helmets with pre-destined obsolescence built in.

I do know that when I bought my first, I really gave no thought to that end.

If anyone here would wish to have their helmets battery systems upgraded, please PM me and I can walk you through the work. It's really easy to do, can be successful and self-fulfilling.

Having the LWS call you is strange. But it also could be a good sign that they are good guys trying to help their customers out in trying to give them an option to fix their broken helmets vs just making them buy a new one. That is not the norm out there anymore. The guy at my LWS seems like a good guy, but I realize that his hands are tied in trying to keep the stock in that the locals want, (or at least what I want). They only seem to stock their private label stuff, and when ever I go in to get lenses for my speed glas helmet they always have to special order it in.

A couple months ago, coworker went in to get a new helmet. He wanted a Jackson balder technology helmet like other coworker had just got, and he cones back with a Radnor helmet. After using it one day, realized he was still having problems seeing the puddle, he took the helmet back and ordered the Jackson. I guess they were going to charge him $450 for it. He went home and checked online and found it for $315 or so. Said he ordered it there instead. We never did see the new helmet, since he quit working with us. About a month later coworker went int the LWS and the clerk asked him where the guy was that ordered the Jackson helmet. I guess he never called to tell the LWS he was not going to get it from them.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-22-2017, 05:05 AM
Lord of the Minions

If anyone here would be willing to send me your dead autodark helmets I'd pay for shipping to me as I have a group of kids in need of helmets and simple welding tools to get started as kids without monies to get the basics of such things. Of course, they do not have to be auto dark able. Hell, if your AD helmet is dead, for parts paid, I'll fix them and send them back to you.

I'm starting to do with helmets what I've done with used broken guitars etc for the last 30 or so years. Fixing and passing on to those kids that are willing to put in the work at my little shop to learn the basics and so offering the options of getting some interest started where at first there was no abilities to do so.

One young lady and lad of late both spent several hours learning the basics of MIG and indeed did the bulk of cutting and welding on the castoring wheel bases and splitting tractor frame I recently put together a few weekends back.

Nothing gives me more pleasure to give of myself is such ways when able. My family did it for me as well as some of the more mechanically inclined older neighbors and in fact if not for their specific patience with me in particular I doubt I'd have enjoyed the lifetime of work I've done and sought out to do without this most basic mentoring early on.

Imaging a 10 year old boy, helping me change out a timing chain and water pump on his fathers truck while it was at my shop for repair. To be able to tell his dad that he did most of the work himself and was aptly paid for his labors. To tell his dad he found an ac leak using a special light to spot a leak on 'o'rings, change them out, torque fittings and recharge a system. No matter what the future holds for this young man, he will always have self-reliance to tackle some things most others will be hell bent on taking to a shop for others to do it for them.

Like said, I'm in need of good used hood etc for welding as there are times I've got a half dozen young eyes watching and learning the basics of welding etc with new eyes within the process's,

Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Boiler God

I'm not sure if my Speedglas helmets are pre 3M or nit, but the batteries are in a slide out tray, the other Speedglas helmets are the SL models, they do not have batteries
Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
the other Speedglas helmets are the SL models, they do not have batteries
Ere ye sure?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Lord of the Minions

What I know of electronics could fill up a thimble with the finger still in it.

But, if a welding helmet using auto dark technology and does indeed use light to add juice to or to keep the system charged that there would be some sort of storage system on board. Meaning, batteries of some sort.

So, what I'm seeing is that all I've opened so far do have the coin type batteries of I'm guessing all being lithium type coins.

On my Speed Glas helmet it's a 3000v3, guessing early generation of the type.

The forward cover which has the model numbers and the touch pad controls, just peeled off like a sheet of plastic type material allowing me easy access to the innards.

I've got pictures and will post later tonight.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Not sure, but I can tell you that I have not seen any 3M markings on any of it.

I'd like to buy one more AutoDark helmet with the battery trays, something a bit more conducive for TIG, but that may not happen for awhile.
For TIG it just doesn't get much better than the Optrel e684. It is a badass and I love it. Even certain "YouTube sensations" use it almost exclusively, including Jody from Welding tips & tricks. Even just for basic stick & MIG! If all you (not you personally, but people in general) have been using are HF-level helmets, this Optrel will make you feel like someone [figuratively] uncovered your eyes and removed a dirty scratched up lens you have always had before.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

Thanks for the input Oscar as I'm sure there are some looking for or thinking of getting a good helmet assy.

I still owe this thread pictures and have taken a few to support my claims for changing batteries etc and will post as time allows.