Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 AM

made some turkish kabas today on the grill. used propane and also hardwood lump charcoal. noticed on the hardwood the food burns faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0225.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	139684   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0226.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	139685   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0227.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	139686  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy347 View Post
I can't see these pics... and I ain't chasing 'em!

wayne
That's too bad. They are spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Oscar I'm sure your food looks great but I'll never know. I'm not about to click each one of those and get bombed by popups ads and what not. A pretty simple way of handling pictures is to simply upload them to the site, that way in a year or two when you clean out photobucket the pics are still here and the thread is still relevant. Theres a billion write ups on how to do pics around here so I won't bore everyone again.
In no other site do I have any issues with people clicking on my links. It's not my fault you don't know the in-and-outs of web-browsers and the appropriate plug-ins/add-on's to block pop-up's. I use two web-browsers and in neither do I have even a single pop-up to deter my web-browsing. To me, that is pretty simple. Also, contrary to assumption, I never clean out my photobucket photo albums, I just keep adding on to them. The attachment limit for jpg/png/bmp pictures is 200KB from URLs. Uploading from a local drive, sure there is no issue, but I do not have my pictures stored locally, all are online in the cloud. All of my pictures [that are stored online] are >200KB, so that is the issue, because it won't let me attach them through the "Upload file from URL" portion of the Manage Attachments tool. There is no way for me to attach my pictures as-is without reformatting them down to a smaller size in order to be able to attach them using the "Manage Attachments" tool, because again, I don't have them stored on a local drive, they are all online, only accessible through URL's. So trust me, I'm a jedi with a computer, I know how to work with pictures just fine. Yes it is too bad you'll never get to see my cooking, or any of the other pictures I have to contribute.

Last edited by Oscar; 06-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM

I think if you are not a photobucket member/don't stay logged in the site spams the hell out of you with ads.

Fwiw I won't be clicking on any of your great photos either.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 06-06-2017, 02:43 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post

In no other site do I have any issues with people clicking on my links. It's not my fault you don't know the in-and-outs of web-browsers and the appropriate plug-ins/add-on's to block pop-up's. I use two web-browsers and in neither do I have even a single pop-up to deter my web-browsing. To me, that is pretty simple. Also, contrary to assumption, I never clean out my photobucket photo albums, I just keep adding on to them. The attachment limit for jpg/png/bmp pictures is 200KB from URLs. Uploading from a local drive, sure there is no issue, but I do not have my pictures stored locally, all are online in the cloud. All of my pictures [that are stored online] are >200KB, so that is the issue, because it won't let me attach them through the "Upload file from URL" portion of the Manage Attachments tool. There is no way for me to attach my pictures as-is without reformatting them down to a smaller size in order to be able to attach them using the "Manage Attachments" tool, because again, I don't have them stored on a local drive, they are all online, only accessible through URL's. So trust me, I'm a jedi with a computer, I know how to work with pictures just fine. Yes it is too bad you'll never get to see my cooking, or any of the other pictures I have to contribute.
Welp Oscar, I think you laid it all out pretty well.
This website is not set up for computer "jedi's" but for the average fabricator, blacksmith, hobby machinist, welder or mechanic who may or may not be totally computer savvy & that includes me. While your large-file cloud-hosted images may be perfect for your purposes, pictures posted here only need 72 dpi to be good enough for our purposes; we're not trying to print billboards or National Geographic insect closeups here. This is not so much an issue of image size as it is file compression and vBulletin eventually decided to integrate a compression utility into their software, for which I am grateful. As I pointed out earlier, the vBulletin utility can compress a 4mb image to 100kb with negligible loss of normal monitor expectations & that's about the largest file my iPhone discharges.
Even so, I still often manipulate most of my own photos, using Irfanview. It's free, easy to use and fast & does batch conversions as well as singles with no Jedi skill requirement. It works for me & I do not have to compress all the photos I keep but only the small percentage I want to post. Unless I want to crop out or emphasize certain details the onboard utility handles things well enough.

As an attempt to help resolve your attachment problem I doubled the file size limit to 200kb, thinking that vBulletin might handle up to 8mb raw files but that apparently was misdirected.

One of the main reasons we differ from a lot of other forums is they really are bulletin boards; their pictures hosted off-line may or may not still appear next year or even next month. The casual user often pays little attention to keeping his hosted images in order and during our first year or two many of our threads were spoiled by missing photos. I learned to really dislike seeing those damned Photobucket image placeholders. We decided to treat our threads as being archives rather than take the usual bulletin board "here today & maybe tomorrow" philosophy. This meant that we had to offer on-site hosting space. Understandably, most small forums much prefer their members to provide their own hosting space so that the forums themselves don't have to support that expense or maintenance.

So far, we've managed to stay on the air for thirteen years and with exception of that first year & one software failure in 2007, most of our threads are still intact and readable. In order to keep doing that, we cannot host huge files that are 10 times, or maybe even 100 times, larger than necessary for display, and we do not intend to reverse directions with large slow-loading embedded images. Believe it or not, we do have a few long-term members who still do not have (or who not always have) high speed connections, for one reason or the other, but they have been faithfully plodding along with us for the long haul, and we appreciate that. So we intend to continue looking out for them too.

And finally, returning to this opening remark:
Quote:
In no other site do I have any issues with people clicking on my links. It's not my fault you don't know the in-and-outs of web-browsers and the appropriate plug-ins/add-on's to block pop-up's. I use two web-browsers and in neither do I have even a single pop-up to deter my web-browsing. To me, that is pretty simple.
This makes you the second new member I can think of in recent years who has managed to turn the discussion on it's head by seeming to insist that we should all march to your drummer & learn to love Photobucket along with your personal software tweaks. The way I see it, most of us outgrew Photobucket about a decade ago. It's not my fault you don't see it that way.

So I tried to break my own rule by trying to resolve whatever the real issue is.
My mistake.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:56 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:

In no other site do I have any issues with people clicking on my links.

The attachment limit for jpg/png/bmp pictures is 200KB from URLs. Uploading from a local drive, sure there is no issue, but I do not have my pictures stored locally,

all are online in the cloud. All of my pictures [that are stored online] are >200KB, so that is the issue, because it won't let me attach them through the "Upload file from URL" portion of the Manage Attachments tool.

I'm on dial up and not a member of PhotoCrap.
The pop-ups are intolerable, some are blocked but not all.

looks like the issue "maybe" PhotoCrap trying to do something else or adding to the image ???

correct me if I am wrong
your wood pile is 320kb
the Brisket 51kb

I did not have any problems uploading the larger 320kb wood pile and the site auto resized that to 108kb.
As Cutter said he did did not have any problems with pictures ~10 times larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VZM.IMG_20160623_200750_zpsbvwmqgyb.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	139694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130704_185700_998_zps642a0c27.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	139695  
Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 AM
Elite Member

Some folks are just ignorant of how communities work and don't wish to conform.