Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
What kind of plug came on the unit? These macines are designed for the max current rating of the plug comes with them. They do not have additional over current protection, it is provided by the correct breaker.
It came with a 30amp connector,like maybe for a dryer or big AC unit.
I made an adapter to go to 50amp RV style,since thats what we use here.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Get a 2 space panel and put it on the machine. Put a 30 in it and you would meet the engineering and code. I is defeating one of its most important design/safety fundamentals. The mfg went to great length, approval, engineers and supplied it with a plug. Like other cord supplied appliance the plug design limits the overcurrent protection.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

This is a subject that needs forum work. We got some masters here but we are a bit inclined to answer yes and no, I still got to look at the pic to do a 3 way. 2ndly, if i refer to you in a lentghy conversation it may be a fukkin generalization. If i say Randy then i mean him but this is shit that being a layman take me a while to learn and i peck at these posts.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Directly have defeated one of its most important features. Real smart people do it, i am not sure of the exact risk but i also own lots of stuff i had good long time and have a couple cases where it being wired right was crucial.
We, me included have done a lot wrong with equipment mods, today,,,, I more so relate to not interupt the instalation instructions.
I built so much unsafe shit over a career it's lucky I am alive.
A lot of shit didn't occur to me, I been to a couple classes, had 30 yrs in before some stuff dawn on me. I don't understand complex circuits any better than I ever did but my intent here and on the forum is to meet the circuit requirements and do what would pass forensic..
I want a code legal, I did a lot of wiring where it looked good but wasn't right. I am not that creative but can copy a few fittings that don't looooook like a mess. Inspectors figure me for a sparkle on a 100A service, I got master design.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:29 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

What I am trying to say is we need a bit more examination to equipment design here for equipment circuits. This is examined with factory machine design such as a 210 compact welder and difference as to how it's wiring is sized for safety.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Ok, so the cord is a 10, it's legal to 60 as long as the connected load won't overload it, it could include duty cycle in some cases,, as welders but while it won't overheat it connected to a 50 msny of the internal wired in the pressure washer may be 14.
We built a cooler, 1 hp and I could have up sized the controls or limited it to 20A I put additional breaker on and 12 cord so I could hook to 50A welder circuits also.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:07 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

The older 240v 200 MIG had a 12 cord 50 end, the new mpv have 14 cord and breaker in the adapter, doesn't need it for 120v on 20A.
If one looks in the installation of the old one they actually allow 14 circuit wire provided it has a 30 vs a 50 breaker.
the machine really requires only 14 but since they wanted to use common 50 welder circuits they used a 12 cord, same one they use on Buzz boxes.
Now they use the wire off the same spool as a 140, change ends for 120/240

Last edited by Sberry; 06-29-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I was where I was waiting for something hence the babble. I was going on about the fact there is a lot of stuff not always so obvious about circuit design that slips over our head. A lot of safety factors involved in plug and cords. I believe some other coundties have a different system, a busway of sorts and plugs that have ocpd built in so as to essentially "tap" on to it.
Ours relies on plug style to allow it to be plugged on to tailored circuits and outlets.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 PM

I ruined my first hose by accidentally letting it lay across the muffler. I ordered a really heavy duty hose, but it is not all roses like you'd think. The heavy duty hose is just that, but fairly difficult to manage. Quite stiff and hard to roll up and unroll. Really needs to be stretched out straight every time. Additionally is has a rugged, coarse black outer skin that loves to leave black marks on most everything it touches. I don't think it did that when it was new, but after a few years it is like the old rubber toilet tank washers that blacken your hands when removing. I think I'd like to look for a good quality one that is maybe a tad more flexible and manageable.

Wonder if they'll ever come up with a "Pocket Hose" version?