Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
...The round ones were about 24 inch dia. x 48 inch long...
I do remember seeing round bales that size. When baling hay started to catch on there were a lot different ideas on how to do it. The small square bales seemed to catch on, everything else kinda disappeared. Then years later the big bales started to come along...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:36 PM
no bull it's huge!

Okay yes I missed the comma. It was meant as my plans for the day were screwed up and that trip wound up costing me more money.
The baler is a 5X5.5 it makes bales 5 feet wide and 5.5 feet in diameter if you chose to go that big around. However it is a soft center baler and in grass the bales are rather soft so they settle to more of an oval shape. The little round bales are from an Allis Chalmers roto baler, one of the first round balers produced, neat idea but not easy to handle or stack behind it. My brother in law has one he resurrected and uses every year.
This machine is meant to be a backup to my small square baler but it's looking more like I will do a set amount of squares a year then roll the rest.
The Pto shaft is becoming a saga, it was supposed to be dropped off at my work today but his kids went a different route to Omaha so he supposedly will bring it next Tuesday, okay fine but I just cut 10 acres and it's supposed to rain Sunday.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:17 PM
no bull it's huge!

Well I got 16 round bales from what I had cut a week ago last Friday. Sunday morning we flew out for vacation in Florida and we got back Saturday night. I got to work Monday morning and here's the PTO shaft waiting for me on my toolbox!

Overall it performed pretty good, starting bales can be kinda hairy. I had a couple that I was pretty sure the belts were going to fold over and make a big mess but things evened out. It amazed me how much the belts move side to side on the rollers depending on how and where the hay was fed into the machine.

Now I have to work on my disc mower, seals on the cylinder are blown out and it's leaving strips of uncut grass.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
Well I got 16 round bales from what I had cut a week ago last Friday. Sunday morning we flew out for vacation in Florida and we got back Saturday night. I got to work Monday morning and here's the PTO shaft waiting for me on my toolbox!

Overall it performed pretty good, starting bales can be kinda hairy. I had a couple that I was pretty sure the belts were going to fold over and make a big mess but things evened out. It amazed me how much the belts move side to side on the rollers depending on how and where the hay was fed into the machine.

Now I have to work on my disc mower, seals on the cylinder are blown out and it's leaving strips of uncut grass.
Sometimes you think problems will never end.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain