Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I have pictures of the shovels.

But won't be able to post them until tonight after work. Running out of time.

Two are Aimes(((?sp????)))) and the other is a True Temper probably bought back in the late 70's.

The two oldest you can tell have been used to death and due to sharpening and use have been slowly shortened due to that fact.

I guess you can blow smoke up your own ass by saying you've actually worn down/shortened a shovel due to use over the years.

There is a big difference between these/my shovels and what is found these days being called a spade. Nothing flimsy or thin with mine, rather thick and heavy to tote around when checking levee's on 2k acres of rice and/or crawfish ponds.
Well, luckily I have never worn down a shovel completely nor have I blown smoke up my but.. LOL..

Can't wait to see the pictures..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Blast this!

I have my fathers last coal shovel. when he was firing steam engine to pump water until early 60's he wore out a shovel every 10 weeks .16 ton a shift handled 5 times.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I have my fathers last coal shovel. when he was firing steam engine to pump water until early 60's he wore out a shovel every 10 weeks .16 ton a shift handled 5 times.
Love to see a picture.. Was it at a local pumping station? I recently had seen a video on a huge steam driven water pump.. It was amazing to see...

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I have my fathers last coal shovel.
I've shoveled rice, beans, dirt, sand, gravel, cement, saw dust and shit, but never coal. I'd love to see what a coal shovel that was used looks like.

Jen, I found all three of my good shovels, but noticed how short two of the blades are after a few too many years of use and hand file sharpening.

One has a nick on one edge due to hitting the horn of a bull charging me while in a pasture putting up fence for a neighbor. I was lucky enough to hit a horn which turned the shovel from a flat hit to a cutting hit with the shovels side and opened his skull. Dropped that bastard with one swing. This happened with the Bull's owner running away from him and me. I think I was 14 and saw God and my life flash before me. sigh.............

The one on the left(always) is the oldest and was given to me by my Moms Dad once I started chasing levees etc with him when I was a good 7 or 8 years old. It's over 60 years old these days.

It's rake or the degree's of angle from the handle to it's pan is quite a bit more obvious than the other two as some changes were made over the years by all manf's.

The one in the middle was bought while chasing crawfish a few years later, but it's still a good 55 years old. I think my Dad bought it as he liked mine.

The one on the far right is the last one bought about 10 or so years ago when I could not find the other two due to the fact that the Step Danger would use my shit, not put it back and/or leave it out in the weather.

I found the one on the right while cleaning out the chicken coop with a broken handle sitting in dirt and chicken shit. Bastard used it and left it where it lay. It may have a few large pits, but they are not too darn deep to weaken it.

These are forged and hammer stamped shovels with a minimum welding on the stick end and some hefty hammer welding on the neck to the pan area's.

As far as the widths of what used to be called a Rice shovel were the about the same degree's of rake of the neck to the pan, but the width of the pan was a good 2 to 3" wider overall than the three I'm showing and with no holes for suction relief.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1 shovels.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	139981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2 shovels.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	139982   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 3 shovels.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	139983   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 4 shovels.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	139984  

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I've shoveled rice, beans, dirt, sand, gravel, cement, saw dust and shit, but never coal. I'd love to see what a coal shovel that was used looks like.

Jen, I found all three of my good shovels, but noticed how short two of the blades are after a few too many years of use and hand file sharpening.

One has a nick on one edge due to hitting the horn of a bull charging me while in a pasture putting up fence for a neighbor. I was lucky enough to hit a horn which turned the shovel from a flat hit to a cutting hit with the shovels side and opened his skull. Dropped that bastard with one swing. This happened with the Bull's owner running away from him and me. I think I was 14 and saw God and my life flash before me. sigh.............

The one on the left(always) is the oldest and was given to me by my Moms Dad once I started chasing levees etc with him when I was a good 7 or 8 years old. It's over 60 years old these days.

It's rake or the degree's of angle from the handle to it's pan is quite a bit more obvious than the other two as some changes were made over the years by all manf's.

The one in the middle was bought while chasing crawfish a few years later, but it's still a good 55 years old. I think my Dad bought it as he liked mine.

The one on the far right is the last one bought about 10 or so years ago when I could not find the other two due to the fact that the Step Danger would use my shit, not put it back and/or leave it out in the weather.

I found the one on the right while cleaning out the chicken coop with a broken handle sitting in dirt and chicken shit. Bastard used it and left it where it lay. It may have a few large pits, but they are not too darn deep to weaken it.

These are forged and hammer stamped shovels with a minimum welding on the stick end and some hefty hammer welding on the neck to the pan area's.

As far as the widths of what used to be called a Rice shovel were the about the same degree's of rake of the neck to the pan, but the width of the pan was a good 2 to 3" wider overall than the three I'm showing and with no holes for suction relief.

Them are some sweet shovels.. I can see why you dig them.. ... ( LOL) Chuckle, chuckle..

While I certainly could make a shovel like this to any metal thickness desired even tapered on the cutting edge with a socketed pole. It wouldn't be cheap..

I'd guess around 400+ with hardening and tempering. Maybe a little more..

This type of item is best made with a press or drop hammer with dies.. It would be a neat item to make as a video though.. Maybe in the future when the shop is up.. I did talk with my buddy Scott who used to swing sledge for me and he offered up his services once again... Both he and his brother would help me on a regular basis and they both started when they were about 14 or 15... They both could swing a mean sledge and both were a pleasure to work with.. Lots of the early projects could not have been done without their help..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"