Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Atlas lathe

I came across one close to me for sale, it is a model 3996 wired for 110v. Just wondering what is the fair market price range? I know it will depend on tooling and condition. It comes with a 4 jaw chuck, unknown what other tooling, it does have a quick change gear box. I will take a good look at the ways and see if the carriage binds up.
I have only sporadic use for a lathe but they are good to have once in a while.
Found one very similar to it on e-bay this one is cleaner than the one I am looking at, but it gives a good picture of what it looks like. E-bay #250157821074

Last edited by Ggg; 08-30-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Wyoming

Price depends upon condition and tooling. Your location has a goodly number of machine tool dealers. The economy for machine shops has not been all that great for a number of years, but it is doubtful that a lathe of this size came from a machine shop anyway. Unfortunately, you're dealing with what I call a "cult" lathe. Small size...9"-12" home shop type of machine made by South Bend, Logan, Atlas, etc. They tend to go for more money...for what you get for your bucks...than a larger commercial sized lathe due to the fact that everybody and their Uncle Bill wants one. If you do decide to purchase the local lathe, try to make sure it has as many accessories and tooling as possible. Not only are these sized lathe expensive for what they offer, but their tooling and accessories usually go for a goodly amount as well.

If it is tooled rather well, in good shape...check the gibs for adjustment...and appears to have been taken care of then $800-$1200 wouldn't be a bad price. May go cheaper due to your having far more equipment for sale out there in Illinois than what is out here on the prairie...of course you also have way more hobby/home shop buyers too.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Below Wholesale

I bought my 10" atlas for $50 with alot of tooling and fairly well set up. It needed a tailstock and a few gears. I have about $200 into it maybe.

the 10 and 12 are related and share a lot of parts. I have seen 12's go for $200 or $1200 all depends on condition and tooling. The QC box alone go for well over $200. If it has goodies like a taper attachment, grinders, tooling, chucks, or any oddball atlas option it would be worth more.
Atlas stuff fetches a small fortune on ebay, the more rare the more valuable...so make sure you dont need parts! Parts are still avail from clausing itself if you get in a real bind.

Personally I would not pay more than $500 or so for one of these lathes. They are nice because they are small, light, and can do some pretty sophisticated work for a tinkertoy lathe. Buts thats the problem they are just too light. You can get into a real lathe like a southbend for the price of a potmetal atlas.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the input, you both confirmed what I suspected as far as the hobbyist driving the prices up. I called and he said it does come with a box of "tooling" and that the gear set was changed for one that was "better for thread cutting" what ever that means. He does not have a 3 jaw chuck, or a center support or milling attachment. I offered $600 he said he would take $900 but no less. Like I said I don't have a big demand for the lathe, and this is a bit small for some of the lathe needs I do have.
The problem I have is the bigger lathes I have seen and like are all 3 phase, which I don't have.
Cav I think the $50 lathe you got was the buy of the year.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

There are those in the know and will to help create 3 phase from single on here.
At a reasonable rate no less.

Scott
Old 08-31-2007, 05:16 AM
Wyoming

Don't let 3-phase drive you away from a machine. Cutter did a post on a build he did for a rotary converter... http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ighlight=Phase

You can also find a VFD fairly cheaply nowadays to provide both 3-phase power and variable speed within reason.

If you are thinking about more than one machine, the rotary converter would be the way to go.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 AM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Atlas 3996/Craftsman 3996/Clausing-Atlas 3996 (same machine with different labels).

For a smaller machine (900#) they are pretty decent for the home shop. Three things determine price - condition, condition, condition - even so, $900 is a cheap price for a good condition 3996 with no tooling.

Quite a bit of tooling available on eBay, so don't worry that there's no 3-jaw. If the machine isn't rusty or pitted, the ways look undamaged, the QC gearbox works properly, the motor runs, etc., it's worth $900 - probably more