Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 12-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Dodge City Marshal

Default Esab??

I have a quote from my local dealer (Kanox) on two items and I want opinions please.

875 for $2,093 + tank costs (edit: no tank... brain fart)
260 for $2,163 MIG and Stick ready, + tig accessories cost

TIA

Last edited by Tom Zachman; 12-02-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

scot v will chime in ........that i am sure of......!

i have one up at school (esab tig ) and i have to say its pretty damn nice !

yeah scot i admitted it !

dawg
Old 12-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Dodge City Marshal

I went on ESAB's website and it sure sucks! But I don't understand why a webmaster would use java for anything but the most unique graphic, like 3-d interactive. Java sure slows down the basic information flow and creates a negative "experience." Sure slows down a confusser that's operating near the limits of its RAM.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Zachman
I have a quote from my local dealer (Kanox) on two items and I want opinions please.

875 for $2,093 + tank costs
260 for $2,163 MIG and Stick ready, + tig accessories cost

TIA
What is a 875? Plasma cutter?

The 260 multimaster will be scratch start tig only without the tig module.
It's almost has a inverter type arc but not quite. I would look into the inductance control if I bought that machine. The 250 plus for Mig is still the unit to buy. This is what most of the good esab reps will tell you too. Our esab reb is a real welder so his opinions could differ from yours. Everybody seems to like the stick process with that machine. The main thing about that machine is, if you want to have it outfitted for pulse, it is right into the area of where a 300 powermig is in cost. The Powermig is the better machine, then a fully setup esab.

I would buy a Miller machine, if you want a better web site!!

Last edited by Scott V; 12-02-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V
What is a 875?

I would by a Miller machine if you want a better web site!!
I too give them props for their virtual welding prowess

Last edited by X-ray; 12-02-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Dodge City Marshal

It is kinda funny how a web experience can make a difference. Before I linked to esab, I had read and copied a post from a newsgroup that said esab could easily 'costup' to Lincoln's version and also the DC/lumminum tig problem; but I was 'thinking positive' about the esab until the web experience gave me pause to re-think the newsgroup information:
Quote:
I have a ESAB plasma but am thinking about getting a miller mig. Now I > > see ESAB has a multi machine. How good is ESAB and does it out perform > > a Miller?> > If you look at the top N. American manf. of mig welding equipment I> don't think one out performes the other. I think Ernie summed it up> with saying "I like Blue" It is usually a matter of perference. Also> you need to find out which manufacture is supported in your area. I> have found that there are areas where there is no suppot for a given> manufacture.> > As for multi-process machines:> Lincoln and ESAB make a mig/tig(dc)/stick combo in a self-contained> unit.> Lincoln Power Mig 300> ESAB MultiMaster 260> The Lincoln is a notch above the ESAB because it has the capabilities> of putting the MK cobra push-pull gun for aluminum welding with> pulse-on -pulse capabilities: go to Lincoln web page for more.> http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...eet.asp?p=5366> > The ESAB MultiMaster 260 is a more simple unit and is easier to switch> from mig to tig to stick and cost is about 800 dollars less. It does> not have the capability to put on push-pull gun, but you can set up a> spool gun.The ESAB has a four roll drive system and a dual cylinder> rack standard.> Go to ESAB web page for more:> http://www.esabna.com/main.cfm?category=03&pageId=../html/products.cfm&category_desc=ProductsMike,very good answer.I have a powermig 300,and told a new owner of aEsab 260 almost those exact things today.I would like to say a fewthings about those machines.When you get the Powermig 300 setup rightit's probably faster to change over to other processes than the Esab260.The slowest is from the python to the standard mig torch.If youhave the spoolgun setup on the 300 it would be about 30 seconds frommig standard,dc tig,stick,spolgun aluminum.I leave my python on,andhave stick,dc tig,mig aluminum within 30 seconds.I use dinseconnectors,and valves on my dual bottle rack,and flow meters.In theprograming part of the powermig it's way beyond the Esab 260.It'sshort-arc is really something to use in the 40 mode.It also can use a90%HE/7.5%AR/2.5%CO2 for short-arc/spray-arc.That means one bottle forstainless mig.Also on the Esab the indutance control is $200.00(10 ohm pot,with twowires,Don't buy it make it)The pulse for it is $800.00 list,andprobably could be had for somewhere around $600.00.That really narrowsup the price difference alot.It kind of works out like this The powermig gives you more options onsetting up everything,like thearc,preflow,postflow,crater,spot,diferent stick,mig modes,pulsemodes,hot start mig-stick,and cold start mig,and upgradeableprograming.When you set up the Esab It's like getting that cheapspoolgun for free,and a way less adjustable for about the same priceas a powermig.Also in my opinion the Powermig 300 is a bettershort-arc machine,but both are nice,and you can do very good work witheither one.I also am a big Esab fan,but you should watch which unityou buy.Justs like Miller/Lincoln?Thermal-arc.So do your home work.My friend here in Portland sells the most Esabs of about anyone,andhas less problems getting parts,and other things from them then anyother brand.So here is a good place to own Esab,and where you aremight not be.
Kinda funny what a bad experience on a website will do to a potential buyer, huh?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

FWI, is that the google 'welding group'? If it is Ernie pretty much runs the roost there and he is not exactly pro-Esab

Most of the welding boards I surf on, have a dominant poster or two, who are the boards 'spiritual' guides. I use the word spiritual, because many of the 'followers' seem unable to use their own brain to research specific information and regard anything said by their 'SG's' as unalterable truth. Oops I digress.

What are your reasons for searching out a 'all in one ' machine? Perhaps I can sway you to the ranks of 'individual' vs. 'multi' functional machines.

Can you believe...can you feel it...the power of the 'separates'...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Dodge City Marshal

I'm always open for education. That's why I lurk here.

The product I am developing for manufacture will require different welding proceedures, but not simultaneous operations. I am wanting to eliminate ten milling operations with the 875 cutter and that was the purpose for my visit to Kanox this morning. I was planning on getting a MM251 (to complement the 175 I already have) along with the 875; but the 260 caught my eye and I thought it could provide some real versatility for just a few dollars more.... Their sale ends Friday....

Stick isn't really important, but one model of my product has a welding operation that joins three different sizes of mild steel and the TIG cherry on the mig-stick sundae looked very nice.

Since I returned this afternoon I have searched Lincoln's site for "Power Mig 300" and that doesn't showup. Weldingmart tells me more than Lincoln does; and does it much quicker. At 10:00 am today I was ready to buy the 260 but this evening it looks like the PM300 is going to win..

One point of reference: I am building prototypes and jig fixtures. Should this become a BIG BOY production & operation, it will be contracted to those who want to deal with OSHA, FICA, IRS, WORKCOMP, UNEMPLOYMENT, DRUG TESTING, EQUAL OPPPPPPORTUNITY, HUMAN RESOURCES, SICK/VACATION/PERSONAL/PREGNENCY LEAVEs, USDOT, ICC, EPA and whoever else gets assigned to "helping" a business conduct its business.

Or else it will be offshore'd just like the big boys do it...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Elite Member

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=18685

I guess Lincoln has named it the PowerMig 350MP now.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Muchos Gracias Bolt. One real problem with websites is that they don't retain old designation-links and re-route those links to the new models.... but I digress..

Thanks again. I'll read it now... and opinions aren't a$$holes here...