Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Resident Marxist

Default Klutch tools, good, bad, indifferent?

Northern Tools house brand goes by Klutch. Anyone out there have any experience with their tools as I'm looking at a 1/2" drive battery powered Klutch impact wrench for only $149.99. It only has one battery and an additional battery is $59.99. Still a lot lower than anything at CPO Tools or Tool King.

I'm assuming its made in China, but then so are most of the battery powered impacts. I do not need one for daily use as I have a Snap-On 1/2" pneumatic impact to cover most of my needs. I'm only looking at this one to have when I go to the junk yard or on a long trip.

So comments from Klutch tool owners would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Below Wholesale

When the batteries crap out in a year, will you be able to get replacements?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM

I have the 24volt 1/2 drive impact with the 2 batteries. I've used it once so far and ran thru both batteries in 20 minutes in cold weather. R&R of 20 1/2" deck cover bolts. Had to finish tightening the bolts by hand wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT
Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Resident Marxist

Replacement batteries appear to be available, but Scaleman's comments tell me it's not built for heavy use. Guess I'll wait and save up my pennies.

Thanks,

Stan
Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
there has to be an answer

Runaway from that deal.

Disclaimer, I am a huge fan of Makita tools

-The klutch is a house brand and as a rule house brands are OK, but they are not the best.
-It uses a NiCad battery. NiCads are alright but they lose power over time especially if they are charged incorrectly.
-Li-ion batteries last a very long time, and do not develop the 'memory effect'
-My feeling is that 210 ft/lbs is a really optimistic number. I don't think you would get that many minutes are that output rate, probably is would be in the 150# rate.

I have Makita a drill, impact drive, circ saw, recip saw, radio, trouble light(it is much handier that the rest of my trouble light combined). I bought a drill, impact driver for my one son who does a lot of renovations (DIY). My other son, I got him a Ryobi Drill and impact driver.

In Makita you are looking close to $200, in Ryobi probably $150-170. They are more than the $130, for the Northern tool brand.

I use my impact driver for screws and lag screws. The DRIVER is rated at 120 foot pounds. I spin the wheel nuts onto the car with air tools and then check with a torque wrench. I know they are at 100 or over. One day I was doing some work and decided to see if it really was as advertised. 14 of the 15 took a burp of 1-2 seconds, and one took about a 3-4 second burp to get it spinning. I was driving some 7x1/4" lag screws and it would break them if I hit knots. previously I had to pre-drill etc. Now I buy 5/16 for the shorter ones and 3/8" for the longer ones.

I have a Kawasaki NiCad set with drill, recip saw, circ saw etc. I never used it much because of the battery issues. Since I got the Li-ion tools I have not used my corded stuff very much.

I know there is a BIG difference in price, but, personally it might help to view it as part of a long term system. My guess the big three manufacturers are Makita, Bosch, and Dewalt, then Ryobi, Milwakee and some more.

Last edited by RancherBill; 01-10-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

The most important thing is battery life/replacement, and Bill is right. Dewalt, Makita, and Milwalkee, batteries are sold everywhere and are generic in that they interchange between tools. The cheapys usually are tool specific with a charger for each.

The better brand names have a charger that will do Li-on and Nicad in the same charger, and Milwaukee's charger is multi voltage as well.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
and Milwaukee's charger is multi voltage as well.
It is also pretty derned quick about it.

Milwaukee has one 18 volt impact driver with a claimed rating of 450 ft lbs but it is pretty pricey.

The compact M18 I carry for work is about 120 ft lbs and that's plenty for most of my little tinkering. The good thing about it is that I caught a Home Depot sale - the drill, driver, 2 battery packs & charger for $200.
I got the matching led flashlight with a 3rd battery for Christmas, by far the best worklight I've ever had.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Drivin' Fool

In my opinion, forum members honest, non-biased (I.E. no tool company hype) tool reviews are one of the many benefits of being a member of this forum.
I like being able to look over someone's review of a tool, even if I have no current wish to own one, and get a good idea of whether it is something that may merit a future spot in my shrinking storage cabinet space, or not.
Keep it up guys and gals.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
It is also pretty derned quick about it. Milwaukee has one 18 volt impact driver with a claimed rating of 450 ft lbs but it is pretty pricey. The compact M18 I carry for work is about 120 ft lbs and that's plenty for most of my little tinkering. The good thing about it is that I caught a Home Depot sale - the drill, driver, 2 battery packs & charger for $200. I got the matching led flashlight with a 3rd battery for Christmas, by far the best worklight I've ever had.
I've got a similar Milwakee set in 3/8 impact and 1/2 inch drill and I can't say enough good about em. I use the 3/8 impact daily and when it breaks after warranty I won't bat an eye about purchasing another immediately. The batteries charge in about 15 minutes.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM

I have Ridgid battery tools. Their life time no questions asked replacements for batteries and wear parts sold me - this after several house brand cheapies where the batteries went after a few months regular use.

Have had them now for about 5 years with no complaints despite heavy use. Have a drill, hammer drill, and impact. 4 batts and 2 chargers all interchangeable.

I've availed myself of the replacement batts. The first 2 Li-ion batts lasted about 3 years. I had to take them and a drill and charger to the service depot. He tested them, confirmed they were weak and I left with 2 new ones.

My original Ni-cads are still going strong.

Per the service rep there were some issues with early Li-Ion batts from most vendors but newer ones are far superior to Ni-Cad. I've found the Li-ion don't like to charge when it's -20 out but if I bring them in and warm them then put them on the inside charger they are fine. Ni-Cads will charge at -40.

My sons are getting Ridgid batt tools for birthdays when they are deserving.

Sent from my iPhone using SFT