Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

If people are really into it, I would be more than willing to coordinate some sort of project to take place on an extended weekend. something to give some serious thought to anywise once I figure out what I am going to do.

I would shelter (first come first serve on two spare bedrooms), feed and keep beer available if it comes to that.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldor2005 View Post
feed and keep beer available if it comes to that.
You're gonna be broke before you ever start.

I can smash both thumbs with one hammer, cuss like a sailor and dent any piece of tin I look at. I'm a master of cutting things twice and it still being short AND I can hold down a bucket while telling you how your doing it wrong. I have also been on jobs where they cut the window on the wrong side of the sheet of tin, so I have that going for me.

What's the date? I can't wait.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 AM

Final walk through today and closing tomorrow. Then I will get down and dirty on layout options and take pictures of the turf for the crowd here. Honesty I would prefer to get it done ASAP, but I understand that might not be an option. All my equipment is currently at in-laws place in cold storage, and I really would like to alleviate them of it and get them some barn space back. Hope to at least have a concrete floor and a waterproof roof and walls by end of june at the latest, would prefer may.

My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Elite Member

That schedule could work, but you will have to throw some money at it. Or some money and a whole lot of your time. The bigger the rush, the more it will cost. Hopefully you will get everything thought out to what you want. That's the trouble when you start to rush things, unless you have really thought about it. On the plus side, you have SFT guys helping you plan it, so you have a wealth of knowledge to draw upon. I would like to add in to my shop this summer too. Planning on like a sixteen foot ceiling because I want a lift for storage over part of the shop. And a tall enough ceiling for either an overhead crane or a future car lift, or both. I want something big enough to drive my big loader in to work on.

Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 04-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
All my equipment is currently at in-laws place in cold storage, and I really would like to alleviate them of it and get them some barn space back.
Speaking only from experience, and knowing the climate your in, but dont know what you own as far as shop equipment/tools/inventory, everything that is either bare steel, some kind of black oxide coated, or poorly coated, will rust from condensation.

Im assuming you covered everything with something like fluid film or a like / kind product ? If you have not, get to it, or buy a blast cabinet and a sand blaster to clean it all up later...

By default, and OCD, I own LOTS-O-SHIT that is cold stored, and it all turns to shit, if it was not when it got here.

Just another tip from your old uncle Larry...
Old 04-24-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Speaking only from experience, and knowing the climate your in, but dont know what you own as far as shop equipment/tools/inventory, everything that is either bare steel, some kind of black oxide coated, or poorly coated, will rust from condensation.

Im assuming you covered everything with something like fluid film or a like / kind product ? If you have not, get to it, or buy a blast cabinet and a sand blaster to clean it all up later...

By default, and OCD, I own LOTS-O-SHIT that is cold stored, and it all turns to shit, if it was not when it got here.

Just another tip from your old uncle Larry...
Yea, my uncoated table that I fabbed up at the other place (mil scale) ended up getting some nice surface rust just from the rain and 800 mile trip to their place. I know I had some major tarp malfunctions, but not sure that the table got wet past just having so much moisture in the air, and then air flow at 75-80 mph the whole way.

There will be lots of cleaning needed on some items for sure.

My YouTube Channel

Old 04-24-2016, 08:50 AM
One Lone Sub

Quote:

I've heard Fiber reinforced concrete can suck for working on it as you can get some nice slivers at times. Other than that I here great things about the strength of it.
You can take a weed burner to it and burn off the fibers.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:52 AM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Keith,

Finchy has never been accused of being real sharp...

Finchy,

We love you!!!
Pinche Finchy!

Sorry Dave
Old 04-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Pinche Finchy!

Sorry Dave
I like it!!!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Well I am thinking a more hands on approach may be needed for this one. Since yall want me to spend more money on the floor, I may decide to do a stick build barn and do a lot of the framing labor internally. I think that in the long run if insulation happens this is also a great course of action, and it is something I am a little bit more familiar with. Also, I wouldn't feel so bad getting some of these members to help if they feel so inclined.

Did final walk through last night and all was well, sign the many dotted lines and two hand cramps later, later on this afternoon.

My YouTube Channel