Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 12-16-2016, 11:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus
Default Do you have a list of rules for your shop/area?

Hi all:
I was just wondering how many people on this site do the following and that is have a list of rules posted for people that want to use your home shop. I have a list up and I expect people that come into my area to read the rules before starting. I don't want no one hurt (I know you all feel that way), I don't want tools missing or scrap steel being thrown out that can be used later. Here is a list of rules I have posted in my area.

Thanks
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Area rules.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	137103  
Old 12-17-2016, 03:46 AM
Armchair Webbie

I have three simple rules and they all apply to me.

Keep the doors locked

Don't answer the phone

Don't answer the doorbell

Actually, I'm of the age now, that people who still come around, have their own tools and the Spam suckin' trailer trash who used to bug me have either moved away or croaked.

Oh yeah, MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Dave
Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

The GNAP Shop rules are a good start, and are pretty damn clear....

1 - do NOT show up unannounced, always call ahead
2 - If you call and I don't answer, leave a message, do NOT keep calling until I answer (because I won't)
3 - If I tell you 2 PM on Saturday, don't expect it 3 PM on Thursday
4 - if you try to push me, your stuff will be piled in the middle of the driveway, ready for immediate pick up, either by you or the scrapper (your choice)
5 - Its your design, if it doesn't work as planned, its not my problem
6 - you bought X amount of my time, you will pay extra for rework, due to redesigns and updates (I won't be working on the Rev 24 version, on Rev 1 money)
7 - You will NOT stand by and watch me work
8 - all payments are due as specified, in cash, I give you a receipt, no checks or IOUs
9 - If we decide to end the working relationship or project, that's it, you will not be able to afford me the next time around
10 - the other helping in the build are not part of my deal, they are your people, not mine, so don't ask me to work with them
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Except for the slave labor (teenagers) KEEP THE FUCK OUT!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Except for the slave labor (teenagers) KEEP THE FUCK OUT!
Pretty much my rule, to a " T ", no list, not posted, Ive been saying no for so long, no one bothers to ask,

The few that are welcome, dont ever have the need.

For a good part of my younger years, the only time I ever heard from a large group of different people was when they needed something ( shop, tools, or labor ) They dont call anymore at all, which Im good with.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM

Mine's similar to Shade's but no teen's left at home - so just change that FIRST part to "except for wife with food (or gloves on, to help)" -

the LAST part stays the same, except for 1 son, one grandson and 2 friends who know what'll happen if they step on ANY cord, hose, or cable - the easier ones I'm no longer interested in repairing, the others cost about $500 to replace (and AMMO is still CHEAPER than that)
Old 12-17-2016, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Let me ask this question, if you don't mind. If someone that knew how to weld came over to my house to use my tools/welder, Should I charge them for consumables and electricity for the exception of maybe family? My brother-in-law knows his stuff when it comes to fixing things around the house and I am thinking if he came over to use my area and tools and what not then I wouldn't charge him because he helps Mom and I out. I would think that I wouldn't charge family but others that come over, yeah. I would. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Voice of Experience

Rules not needed...Visiting day is sometime in Septober..If you do happen to get in...you will get hurt....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 12-17-2016, 03:54 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Anyone that needs a rules list is already persona non grata.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Let me ask this question, if you don't mind. If someone that knew how to weld came over to my house to use my tools/welder, Should I charge them for consumables and electricity for the exception of maybe family? My brother-in-law knows his stuff when it comes to fixing things around the house and I am thinking if he came over to use my area and tools and what not then I wouldn't charge him because he helps Mom and I out. I would think that I wouldn't charge family but others that come over, yeah. I would. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Tim
I don't let others use my shop unsupervised, and generally only family gets in there if I'm helping them with something.

As far as your question, I don't see why it should ever cost you money to let someone else use your stuff. If you want to spot your brother in law a handful of welding rods and figure he's returned the favor some other way that is fine, but if people are going to be in there doing their own projects, they should bring their own electrodes, steel, bolts etc. If they break a drill bit they should replace it or sharpen it. They should consider it a privilege to get to do their projects without having to buy the equipment too.