Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Gadget Girl

Default How to forge bolt heads..

https://youtu.be/yBahqfw48QE

How to forge bolt heads.. Using 3 different methods..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_153147.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	139440   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_153107.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	139441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_153057.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	139442  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 AM
Curmudgeon

A simple bolt, huh? Excellent.
That really makes me think about how we undervalue the most common things,
the nuts & bolts of life that we take for granted because they now cost almost nothing.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Lord of the Minions

Nice work Jen.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
A simple bolt, huh? Excellent.
That really makes me think about how we undervalue the most common things,
the nuts & bolts of life that we take for granted because they now cost almost nothing.
Hi,
Nice work!

It's "funny" but....

In Colonial Times, people would burn down an old wooden building and then scavange the nails!

Plenty of wood, but not so much the iron!
May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Auction Addict

Videos are really good now. Very professional and informative with the text.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 AM
Elite Member

Oh, sure, square headed bolts are easy, but don't fit my hex sockets. Can you make hex head bolts? (Just kidding!)

Love to see a master working her craft... great job. Ratcheting dies are new to me. Thanks for posting the info. Hope the boots have steel toes.

I saw a quick glimpse of you not wearing protective lenses, so am wondering, if you ever get metal debris in your eyes. And, I hope you are aware that extended exposure to infrared radiation from red hot metal may cause early onset cataracts.

Last edited by Gadgeteer; 05-21-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
Oh, sure, square headed bolts are easy, but don't fit my hex sockets. Can you make hex head bolts? (Just kidding!)

Love to see a master working her craft... great job. Ratcheting dies are new to me. Thanks for posting the info. Hope the boots have steel toes.

I saw a quick glimpse of you not wearing protective lenses, so am wondering, if you ever get metal debris in your eyes. And, I hope you are aware that extended exposure to infrared radiation from red hot metal may cause early onset cataracts.
Hex heads are possible certainly.. The square heads are more period correct and was really done because the blower needed a new bolt.. This bolt was replaced back in 91.. So it was time..

I vary so much with eye protection.. I know it's a good idea.. But in 30+ years of doing this I have only ended up with scale in my eye once not wearing safety glasses.. On the other hand I have gotten scale in my eyes 5 times with NOISH (how ever its spelled and OSHA) approved eye protection..

In the videos I look like I'm making a mad face.. Its not.. I'm actually squinting and the eye lashes catch all the badness... 99% of the time in normal forging there is never a problem with scale popping off and getting in the eye..

Where the problem lies is when forge welding.. The flux has a tendency to fly straight up as it detaches when the metal is struck..

And lastly because the anvil and face of the hammer act as shields and pinch deflect stuff between them.. It's people standing in front or to the sides that are in more danger than myself..

As to cataracts : Well I've been doing this 31 years.. Most that time I was in a very dark shop with maximum UV exposure.. You wanna see colors look into the heart of a forge fire when forge welding..

And I know a few blacksmiths going even longer.. One guy has 70 years at it and the other 2 guys easily have 40years at it and none of them have cataracts..

Sometimes I think it's the luck or the draw or genetics..

As for eye protection I did find a pair of safety goggles(Clic) which I really like and do wear more often than not.. but I'm also lazy and they were in the house which is 500ft away.. For nearly 30 years I have been on the hunt for a goggle which would afford the protection and visibility I was looking for.. Because of the heat, cold and sweat the lenses even on open framed safety glasses would fog and this would be more dangerous than not wearing them..

faceshields were hit and miss and the life span was to short.. Few weeks before I couldn't see out of them again increasing the danger.. But I really do like the clic's and if you watch some of the other videos I wear them..

Thanks for the concern just the same..

I've added some photo's of flux coming off.. You can see the arc pattern is consistent on the way it moves..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weld sparks 1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	139481   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot(4).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	139482   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot(2).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	139483   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot(1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	139484  

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for the info... I shoulda known you had all the bases covered.

Of course there are many factors to consider, regarding cataracts. At 76 I feel very fortunate to still have 20/15 acuity through a fairly mild Rx.

I did a vision exam on Warren Oates, shortly before his death at age 54. When he was in my office I told him he was exhibiting early cataracts, and suggested if he yearned to do any traveling and sightseeing, that he take advantage of the time. These were the days before the advent of lens implants to replace cataracts. He didn't last long after I saw him, and I don't know if he took advantage of my suggestion. He was one of my favorite actors, who appeared to be much larger on screen than in real life.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
Thanks for the info... I shoulda known you had all the bases covered.

Of course there are many factors to consider, regarding cataracts. At 76 I feel very fortunate to still have 20/15 acuity through a fairly mild Rx.

I did a vision exam on Warren Oates, shortly before his death at age 54. When he was in my office I told him he was exhibiting early cataracts, and suggested if he yearned to do any traveling and sightseeing, that he take advantage of the time. These were the days before the advent of lens implants to replace cataracts. He didn't last long after I saw him, and I don't know if he took advantage of my suggestion. He was one of my favorite actors, who appeared to be much larger on screen than in real life.
I have to confess.. On an overall care taking of my body.. I'm not very good at it.. I've treated it more like a machine than of flesh and bone.. With the martial arts training, deep scuba diving, solo rock climbing, Etc etc..

I've got maybe 20,000 scars.. Some big, some small, some with scars on-top of scars.. My finger prints a mixtures of swirls, lines and abnormal growth from where I've had complete sections cut or sheared off.

6 weeks ago i crushed the tip of my thumb between two plates of steel. It's still sore but about 2 weeks ago the damage tissue finally made it to the surface and it looked like I had a thumb within a thumb.. Or like a callus inside the thumb... have one spot on my inside thigh on one leg that doesn't have a visible scar..

As to eye sight.. I've had a prescription for glasses since I was 16.. I have astigmatism in both eyes and scar tissue from impact injuries.. I can see but everything has the same amount of blurriness whether it's close or far away and certain colors are more difficult to see.. Or I should say like green or blue LED displays.. I can't make out 3, 5 or 8 or 9 for the most part..

And the glasses I wore them for 1 day.. Took them off and couldn't see anything so threw them in a box and that is where they have lived ever since..

Anyhow, I appreciate the concern and it's well noted.. I think if things were different and I started with a UV face shield i'd be used to it.. But after all this time it's very hard to change things and get the same results..

Also, as I have gotten older and taken off so much time.. The saying of forgetting more than I know is true.. It takes me so long to remember how to do something.. But it's kind of neat when i get that Ah Ha, moment again..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

Thank you Jen. I finally got some time to watch your stuff. I love it.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.