Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 AM

Default Pressure Washer Hose Lifespan?

Hey, all,

On the great advice of folks here, I bought my first pressure washer four years ago – I bought a 3000 psi unit with a Cat pump, as someone here recommended – and the machine has been great.

But when I went to use it last week, the hose had sprung a leak. So I had to buy a new hose.

Question: Is there anything I can do to this new hose to make it last longer than the last one (like maybe oil or some coating to prevent the steel braid from rusting out), or is four years about all you can get out of them? (I do always try to drain all the water out of them before storing them, but there's always some residual water...maybe I should hang the hose from a flagpole for a few days to get all the water out...?)

I haven't used the new hose yet, so if there's something I can treat the inside of it with, I want to do it now, before it gets wet...

Thanks in advance for any clues. Those hoses aren't cheap!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I have found that running over it with a forklift does not help
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I have found that running over it with a forklift does not help
Or leaving water in it to freeze over the winter....
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM

Since I don't have a forklift, or freezing temps, mine have lasted 13 years so far. I use it once or twice a month.

I don't do anything special, just drain them and roll them up in and store them in the garage.

These hoses came from Home Depot, so nothing special.

I also got a Cat pump with a Honda engine and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

I'm on my third season of a second hose for mine--and it developed a big old bubble the last time I used it. It was one of the higher end Home Depot units and split from the inside. The casing is still holding fine but I don't trust using it. Gonna have to go shopping I guess but it's not something I want to spend money on right now.

I've done just about all I can to take care of this pressure washer (froze the previous one) and it's hoses and accessories. Doesn't look like there's really anything that can be done to extend the life on these things.

www.nfpd.us
Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Master Procrastinator

I had mine (2500 lb'er) for almost 20 years and have never replaced the hose. I could use a new tip because the pattern is kind of bizarre at times, but ....?

I drain it after use and hang it in the shop after each use.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Since i injected my finger with grease from a grease gun i am very careful with high pressure hoses etc.
I would get a new hose every few years,hoses are cheap compared to losing a hand or some other body part from a high pressure injection.
Its something most of us never think about.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Da Chief

I've had my Honda powered 3500 PSI power washer for 9 years. (I bought it used with a new pump end) Now, I only use it 2 or 3 times a year, but each time I run it dry, drop and dry the float bowl. pull the air cleaner, pull it over to coat the cylinders with Fluid film, shoot some in the pump end, too. I blow dry the hose and spray in WD-40, then blow dry again. Hose is stored with the ends clipped together.

Yea, I know it's a bit anal, but all my small engines and gas powered tools start with no drama, when I want to use them. Life ain't as easy in the tropics as one would expect, what with the huMUDidty and all.

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM

OK, thanks, everyone. I was hoping there would be a magic bullet treatment I could use on the new hose to make it last, but I guess not...

I appreciate the replies.

On a related note, I was amazed, when I first got my first pressure washer, to learn the myriad ways one can destroy a pressure washer. My owners manual has so many notes written in red ALL CAPS and lines highlighted and things underlined, that it looks like something written by the Unabomber. This is one machine that I will never borrow or lend...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Elite Member

Probably the best you can do is most of the suggested above.
The top ones would be:
1. Blow out and store out of sunlight. WD40 probably would not hurt the inside either. Stored in a controlled environment between 50-70 degrees might be a good idea. Maybe even in a bag to keep clean.
2. Take care not to run the hose over, or put extreme pressure on it. Don't use it to pull the pressure washer around.
3. Beware of kinks when pulling the hose.
Use filter on the water inlet. If there was sand or other fine particles in the supply hose, it could eat the hose from the inside out. Wouldn't do the pumps seals any good either.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden