Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Lord of the Minions

There are treatments that can be used on hose's, depending what material they might be made of.

But, being in agreement with Da Chief and having a Gal container of WD-20+20, I do the spray and blow and spray.

One thing about these hoses, some are encased in a wire braid on the outside and of course probably wire braid between the layers of rubber.

None of the hoses whether wire braided or not, they do not like to be pulled and kinked. Doing so will break the braid whether it's wire or nylon etc.

In my neck of the woods, with Dirt Dobbers doing their thing, all washer openings get covered including the hose and wand ends. All fittings get a coating of Vaseline to allow easier insertion of the fittings with the "O" rings to slip home when threading etc.

The best thing you can do is to take the time and not put things off when your done for the day. (Like I do)

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM
One Lone Sub

Buy PW hoses from someone like Pressurewashersdirect.com.
There's a world of difference between a professional-grade hose and a Home Depot / Harbor Freight unit.

I always pull my hoses in winter time and run the pump for just a second to flush out the water and then add a little antifreeze to them.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Pressurewashersdirect.com.
I was in a Northern Tool store in Laf a few weeks back and was impressed with the hoses and wands they had on the shelfs and racks. Looked well made, hefty in make and priced suitably.

It's true, you do get what you pay for. Without a doubt.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Thanks again, everyone, for all the good information.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:58 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I bought a Northern tool 5hp 230VAC pressure washer with a Cat pump,its one badass machine,i have 50amp RV hookups all over the place,so it works for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:15 PM

Yes, I got mine from Northern Tool, as well – Model 15781720, which has a Cat pump giving 2.5 gal/min at 3000 psi. It's a handful!

Not so sure about the quality of their hoses. Like I said, mine only lasted 4 yrs, and I never kinked or ran over it or abused it...

Came with Honda engine that starts on the first or 2nd pull, even after close to a year being idle, in part because you can shut off the fuel and prevent gumming/rusting/corroding everything with garb¡tch watergasohol (fortunately we live near the coast and can get straight gasoline here, which I use in all small engines)...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:28 PM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post

It's true, you do get what you pay for. Without a doubt.
'Ceptin wimmin
Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Buy PW hoses from someone like Pressurewashersdirect.com.
There's a world of difference between a professional-grade hose and a Home Depot / Harbor Freight unit.

I always pull my hoses in winter time and run the pump for just a second to flush out the water and then add a little antifreeze to them.
Yes, they continually test them. The guy there said as they had issues they change vendors. I just replaced one from Northern that was at least 10 yrs, it never gets drained. The fitting had been coming undone and I kept cutting 5 ft off. A new 100 ft was about 100$ as I recall, I bought a new one for my portable too. Its in an insulated body and has 500 gallons of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steamer air.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	139895   Click image for larger version

Name:	steamer hose new.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	139896   Click image for larger version

Name:	steamer hose.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	139897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steamer door.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	139898  

Last edited by Sberry; 06-28-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
I bought a Northern tool 5hp 230VAC pressure washer with a Cat pump,its one badass machine,i have 50amp RV hookups all over the place,so it works for me.
What kind of plug came on the unit? These macines are designed for the max current rating of the plug comes with them. They do not have additional over current protection, it is provided by the correct breaker.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
'Ceptin wimmin
Fiddy bucks and cab fare, I won't argue with your picks.