Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Auction Addict

Default Voltage Regulator

I have a 1970 Massey Ferguson 1100 diesel tractor. Yesterday the amp meter pegged out and then went to zero, all in about 10 seconds. Checked the 30 amp fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse, started the tractor and the amp gauge reads 21 volts. Shut it down quickly. Way to high of voltage, which likely led to the blown fuse. My dilemma now is where is the regulator located? Trying to eliminate removing too many covers if not needed. I know it is a mechanical regulator so I can recognize it if I knew where to look.

Operators manual does not give that info. Hoping someone here has had to replace theirs sometime, and knows where I need to look to find the regulator.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

Last edited by milomilo; 06-23-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:42 PM

Default Dead Alternator

I am not familiar with M/H, but checking Yesterday's Tractor parts shows the 1100 has an alternator and may have a replaceable internal regulator. They used various make of engines to power the tractors so you need to check for a P/N on the alternator. Listing shows Delco Remy as orig.

You can also post your questions there as there is M/H forum.

I'd check the alternator first. Good luck!

Old as Dirt
Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

Tractor data has the 1100 as being made from 1965 to 1972. The engine is a Perkins 5.8, 6cyl. If the amp. meter pegged I'd start by looking for a short in a wire on the "Work" side of the meter. Is the tachometer drive off the back of the alternator?

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old as Dirt View Post
I am not familiar with M/H, but checking Yesterday's Tractor parts shows the 1100 has an alternator and may have a replaceable internal regulator. They used various make of engines to power the tractors so you need to check for a P/N on the alternator. Listing shows Delco Remy as orig.

You can also post your questions there as there is M/H forum.

I'd check the alternator first. Good luck!

Old as Dirt
This alternator does not have built in regulator. The stock regulator is a mechanical type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
Tractor data has the 1100 as being made from 1965 to 1972. The engine is a Perkins 5.8, 6cyl. If the amp. meter pegged I'd start by looking for a short in a wire on the "Work" side of the meter. Is the tachometer drive off the back of the alternator?
My mistake, it is a 1970. The tach does not connect to the alternator. It is a Perkins engine. The fuse melted down, not just blown. I suspect the regulator contacts fused causing the fuse to melt down. Wiring looks good with disassembling the harness.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

Replaced fuse, started the tractor and the amp gauge reads 21 volts. Shut it down quickly. Way to high of voltage,

amp meters read amps are you saying 21 amps ?

I know it is a mechanical regulator so I can recognize it if I knew where to look.
It is just before my time, I assume assume mechanical is with generators.

do you have a generator or alternator. ?

How is the battery? if its low it can pull quite a bit of "amps".
Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
the amp gauge reads 21 volts.

<confused> do you mean you checked with a multimeter, or is it a dual amp and volt meter on the dash, or a volt meter?

Do you have a clamp on ammeter?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
It is just before my time, I assume assume mechanical is with generators.

do you have a generator or alternator. ?

How is the battery? if its low it can pull quite a bit of "amps".
Alternator. Most generators use mechanical regulators. Some alternators use mechanical regulators and some us electronic regulators. Mine is a mechanical regulator. I just know where it is mounted yet. Being a diesel, I have two 12v batteries which were charged to 12.4 volts before starting the tractor and measuring the voltage, so it should only be running at around 14 volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
<confused> do you mean you checked with a multimeter, or is it a dual amp and volt meter on the dash, or a volt meter?

Do you have a clamp on ammeter?
The dash gauge is a amp meter only. I checked the voltage with a multimeter at 21 volts, Should be around 14 volts when charging. I have a clamp on amp meter, but have not tested with that meter.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Chris, I would sing "Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life" as you dropkick that alternator into the scrap.
Get yourself a one wire alternator from NAPA or others, with the correct frame type, probably 21SI. You attach the one wire to the battery hot that is on the alternator at present.
The newer alternators will have parts availability and better lifespan than what you have.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

You can follow the wire from the amp meter to the alternator you have, and connect it to a one wire output. That way you will be able to follow the state of charge in the battery. Hi amps after starting and low amps after running a while.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Chris, I would sing "Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life" as you dropkick that alternator into the scrap.
Get yourself a one wire alternator from NAPA or others, with the correct frame type, probably 21SI. You attach the one wire to the battery hot that is on the alternator at present.
The newer alternators will have parts availability and better lifespan than what you have.
I am seriously considering doing just that, since they have a built in regulator. The alternator is putting out juice as tested on the bench and also on the tractor, so I will save it. Since I still do not know the location of the mechanical voltage regulator, the one wire alternator would be a simpler fix.