Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Made From Scratch

Default 6.0 powerstroke #3 cylinder contribution/balance problem code ?

Still running my 2006 F350 with the 6.0 powerstroke.It was getting a pretty consistent stumble when it was warming up, but otherwise has been good, so about 6000 miles ago I replaced all 8 injectors, the oil cooler, the EGR cooler, thermostat, upper radiator hose, and switched to rotella ELC coolant.Also cleaned EGR valve and intake manifold. I was really happy with how the truck ran afterwards.

Fast forward to today, truck has been running fine for almost 6000 miles.No loss of fluids, plenty of power. I had to go to a horse show about 100 miles away, running empty. Ran fine the whole way there. Coming home, we had to stop at a light in a small town and noticed the truck was shaking. Pulled into a parking lot, no obvious problems under the hood. Scanned for trouble codes and got P0269, which says there is an issue with the #3 cylinder contribution/balance.

My fuel pressure looked good, FICM voltage looked good, temps were normal for oil and water, EGT's also normal.

When I accelerate I get heavy black smoke, cleans up immediately when I get off the throttle. Runs and sounds normal at highway speed.

So I'm reading and this code apparently can be caused by anything from lack of compression,to a bent pushrod,to a bad injector etc.

Any thoughts on what is most likely?
I have read about the copper washers on the injector going bad and letting fuel leak down into the cylinder or the injector get burnt up. This can be caused by improper torque, or dirt in the injector cup. Seems likely to me but I don't want to drop $300 on a new injector and stick it in there if its not bad.

I would think if I misaligned the injector and bent a pushrod that it wouldn't have taken 6000 miles for the problem to show up?

And if the compression was suddenly that bad wouldn't it smoke at idle and not just under acceleration?

I need to haul a load of horses 200 miles on tuesday, drop the trailer at a show and then drive another 75 miles and get another trailer to bring back so I either need to get mine running or get new front tires on my girlfriends truck. Hers is a V10 ford and I'd rather not make 7 stops for fuel

The injectors I put in were ford remans that have a 2 year warranty but I got them from swamps diesel via thoroughbreddiesel.com. The ad said I was buying ford injectors but they ended up coming in swamps packaging, so I have to do any warranty claim through them rather than just going to a dealer and getting a new one. That's not exactly convenient and I'm tempted to just go buy a new one in town and put it in, but I want to be pretty sure that's the problem first.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2017, 11:50 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Fun!

I'd start by inspecting the pins of the injector and harness. Those harness are a PIA and can shove a pin back in a connector making intermittent contact. Then measure resistance of the injector coil and ohms to ground. If low resistance to ground or low resistance pin to pin there's an internal short.

Next I'd swap injector three with another injector and see if the problem follows the injector or stays with the hole.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:53 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Also I have seen an over fueling injector on the preceding cylinder (firing order) cause an injector code for the following cylinder. The ecm can't interpret the data when it doesn't need to fire an injector because the last infector fired too much.

A temp gun helps find these kinds of issues
Old 07-03-2017, 06:13 AM
Made From Scratch

Thanks, I will look at that stuff today. Columbus Diesel Supply is local to me and specializes in injection stuff, and I'm tempted to just take it to them but I really don't want to spend the money. I've put a ton of money into this thing lately and I run it too much for it to be down all the time. I'm really not interested in,and can't afford a new truck though.

I assume with the temp gun you are checking temps on the exhaust manifold to see if the cylinders are heating evenly?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Made From Scratch

I think I'm tapping out and taking it somewhere. I just checked and the blowby is acceptable, oil and water look fine, it's blowing white smoke at an idle and darker smoke on acceleration now and still throwing P0269.
I can't find my damn temp gun anywhere and I honestly don't have time to fight with it. Regardless of which truck I take, I have to finish a leather order, fix some tack, and get the trailer loaded for a 6 day horse show before tomorrow. If this had happened 4-5 days ago I'd be all over it. I'm sure I could swap injectors and track it down, but that means pulling valve covers and oil rails multiple times and if it's the previous cylinder in the firing order overfueling then I will have to pull both sides.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I think I'm tapping out and taking it somewhere. I just checked and the blowby is acceptable, oil and water look fine, it's blowing white smoke at an idle and darker smoke on acceleration now and still throwing P0269.
I can't find my damn temp gun anywhere and I honestly don't have time to fight with it. Regardless of which truck I take, I have to finish a leather order, fix some tack, and get the trailer loaded for a 6 day horse show before tomorrow. If this had happened 4-5 days ago I'd be all over it. I'm sure I could swap injectors and track it down, but that means pulling valve covers and oil rails multiple times and if it's the previous cylinder in the firing order overfueling then I will have to pull both sides.
Problems rarely happen when it is convenient.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Made From Scratch

Well I cleaned stalls and did some work at the barn and thought it over and I think plan A is to go find tires for her truck, and then if I have time I will fight with mine. I read reviews on the local places and I just don't feel good taking my truck there. CDS has a 2 star rating on google, with the common theme being that they are slow and expensive. I can be slow and expensive all by myself.

There are 2 ford dealerships close by that should be able to run diagnostics and pinpoint the problem but, one put my moms car on the rack and drained the oil and then the tech went home and my dad had to wait 2 hrs until somebody wasn't busy that could put oil in and sit the car back down. The other, I took my girlfriend's truck to under warranty for a bad water pump that had water literally streaming down the front of the engine and they told her there was nothing wrong with it. Everywhere around here is just interested in selling you a new vehicle

I can pull the plugs on the wire harness and do the resistance test and if that doesn't help I think I will go buy one injector and put it in slot number 3 and run it. If that doesn't fix it, then it is probably number 7 overfueling which is in the opposite bank, and I can put the injector I took out of number 3 in its place.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Made From Scratch

Default Do not do business with swamps diesel

I bought my replacement injectors from thoroughbred diesel, and they were advertised as Genuine Motorcraft Reman Injectors, sold by Swamps Diesel. It says a dozen times in the ad that you are in fact buying motorcraft parts. I wanted motorcraft parts, and figured by buying from an out of state parts dealer I was saving sales tax on the $3700 purchase. I know now that I should have dealt locally and not been a tightass.

What I received was a box that says "Swamps Diesel" with a smaller box inside that says "Swamps Diesel" and inside that was 8 injectors wrapped in saran wrap. Absolutely no brand markings, literature, warranty info or anything. I am highly suspicious that they aren't selling actual motorcraft parts, but how the fuck can I prove it?

I emailed thoroughbred and asked them to verify that I did indeed receive motorcraft parts. They emailed back and told me that swamps assured them that they were motorcraft remans.

So I installed them. Now I'm having issues so I tried to contact them.

The first thing that happened is the Swamps website says that my computer clock is wrong and that I won't be given a connection. They are in a different time zone so apparently I'm supposed to reset my computer to central time or something I don't really know wtf that's about but I couldn't get on their website.

So I called the number listed on the page where I bought the injectors and I got a guy at thoroughbred who took my info and said their warranty guy was in a meeting and would call me back.

The warranty guy at thoroughbred called me back and gave me a phone number for swamps diesel. I called them and was told that in order to get a warranty replacement I have to take my truck apart and send them the injector, and after they have tested it they will mail me a replacement.

So apparently I paid extra to get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty, that earns me the privilege of having my truck sit with the valve covers off for 10 days at a time.

I told the guy that wasn't acceptable and that I wanted to get my truck back on the road, and he told me it wasn't fair for them to replace things that weren't bad. I told him I would pay for a new injector right now, and send them my old one when my truck is running and then they can test it and decide whether or not to give me a refund. He told me that wasn't fair to them and that I needed to send my parts in for inspection.

No help whatsoever for anybody that uses their truck for a living. This isn't a toy I leave in the garage for weeks at a time, and I really don't see how its unfair to them for me to want to pay a deposit on a replacement injector so I can get my truck on the road.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

[QUOTE=

My fuel pressure looked good, FICM voltage looked good

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Exactly what is the FICM voltage? If it's not above 48.5 volts it's not good.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Made From Scratch

Its 48 volts and has been ever since ford replaced it under warranty. I don't think they go over 48 until you buy an aftermarket one