Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I bought my replacement injectors from thoroughbred diesel, and they were advertised as Genuine Motorcraft Reman Injectors, sold by Swamps Diesel. It says a dozen times in the ad that you are in fact buying motorcraft parts. I wanted motorcraft parts, and figured by buying from an out of state parts dealer I was saving sales tax on the $3700 purchase. I know now that I should have dealt locally and not been a tightass.

What I received was a box that says "Swamps Diesel" with a smaller box inside that says "Swamps Diesel" and inside that was 8 injectors wrapped in saran wrap. Absolutely no brand markings, literature, warranty info or anything. I am highly suspicious that they aren't selling actual motorcraft parts, but how the fuck can I prove it?

I emailed thoroughbred and asked them to verify that I did indeed receive motorcraft parts. They emailed back and told me that swamps assured them that they were motorcraft remans.

So I installed them. Now I'm having issues so I tried to contact them.

The first thing that happened is the Swamps website says that my computer clock is wrong and that I won't be given a connection. They are in a different time zone so apparently I'm supposed to reset my computer to central time or something I don't really know wtf that's about but I couldn't get on their website.

So I called the number listed on the page where I bought the injectors and I got a guy at thoroughbred who took my info and said their warranty guy was in a meeting and would call me back.

The warranty guy at thoroughbred called me back and gave me a phone number for swamps diesel. I called them and was told that in order to get a warranty replacement I have to take my truck apart and send them the injector, and after they have tested it they will mail me a replacement.

So apparently I paid extra to get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty, that earns me the privilege of having my truck sit with the valve covers off for 10 days at a time.

I told the guy that wasn't acceptable and that I wanted to get my truck back on the road, and he told me it wasn't fair for them to replace things that weren't bad. I told him I would pay for a new injector right now, and send them my old one when my truck is running and then they can test it and decide whether or not to give me a refund. He told me that wasn't fair to them and that I needed to send my parts in for inspection.

No help whatsoever for anybody that uses their truck for a living. This isn't a toy I leave in the garage for weeks at a time, and I really don't see how its unfair to them for me to want to pay a deposit on a replacement injector so I can get my truck on the road.
Send Neal a plane ticket!!!!!

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 07-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Elite Member

All warranties sound good when you buy the parts, until you need to try and make a claim. Then the fine print will void every situation, it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Made From Scratch

I don't expect them to send them out no questions asked, but they could try to work with you a little bit to get you back on the road. The guy's attitude was definitely that the injector can't be bad and that I don't know what I'm talking about, even though we never even talked about my truck. Funny how they recommend you buy a full set, and don't ask any questions when you want to buy them the first time, but when it's a warranty issue suddenly injectors never go bad.

Aside from that fun conversation, I managed to buy new front tires for the gas guzzling dually, cleaned up all the cast iron and cooking stuff, and got the trailer mostly packed yesterday. Also finished a leather photo album that I have to haul along and find a post office in PA tomorrow.

Have to go buy groceries, load up the horses and then hit the road. Its 217 miles to the show facility. I'll get the horses situated and drop my trailer, and then I have to drive about an hour farther east and pick up a trailer and horse for some friends whose transmission just went out, and haul it back to the show with me. Then it's 6 days of showing horses and trying to keep 6 teenagers out of trouble. When I get home I'll have 3 days to try and get my truck fixed before we haul 19 horses to the county fair, stay for 8 days and then take 13 horses home and 6 directly to the state fair.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Made From Scratch

Well after a couple angry emails and playing phone tag with a specific rep at swamps diesel, they sent me an injector. I had to give a credit card, but the charge is being held for 30 days so I have a chance to get the old injector back to them for testing, and they did expedited shipping so it was here waiting on me when I got home last night. I have a feeling the guy I originally talked to would be in a bit of hot water if I remembered his name, as the other people I talked to weren't at all happy when I told them how the conversation went. I'm still not thrilled with the whole deal but I feel like they did eventually step up and try to do the right thing.

As much work as the teardown is, and then having to purge the air from the oil system to get it started again, I didn't really want to tear it down without a known good injector in hand. I'm putting 280 bucks on the table betting it is bad but I need the truck running with minimal tear down.

We burnt about 110 gallons of gas with the ole V10, driving conservatively. Even though the crew cab was a lot more comfortable on the long trip I'm pretty anxious to get my rig running again.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Made From Scratch

I checked all the wires for chafing and couldn't find anything bad either visually or with my multi meter.

So I went ahead and tore it down, and pulled the injector for cylinder number 3. It felt tight, I had to break the bolt loose to take it out, but the tip is covered in fuel soaked carbon sludge. The washer appears to have a good impression in it all the way around, and the O-rings are intact so I'm not sure what the deal is. I'm fairly sure they're going to blame it on improper install and that I'll pay for the new one but it is what it is.

So I cleaned the injector cup as much as possible. This is a huge pain in the ass as you can't reach in there with much and you don't want to gouge it with a screwdriver or anything. I used rags wrapped around various handles and a brass bottle brush, along with sparing use of carb cleaner. You don't want to dump a bunch of shit into the cylinder.

I out the new one in and put it back together and test drove it. Codes are all cleared and it runs smooth with no smoke. I think it's fixed, and I'm saying a prayer that the rest of them don't give me any trouble.

I took some pics for those who aren't familiar with a 6.0 powerstroke (also know as a VGT365, used in school buses and mid sized trucks).

I have a love/hate relationship with this truck. I have always really liked how it drives and pulls a trailer and have always found it very efficient. Maintenance is really easy, it uses cartridge filters on top of the engine and all the routine items are pretty easy to get to. The downside is once you get beyond oil changes, its a royal pain in the ass to work on. I'm 6ft 3, with a 79 inch arm span and somehow my arms are too short. My hands are also too big and parts are expensive.
On the flip side, the 6.4 powerstroke is even more obnoxious to work on, and from what I have seen the 6.7 is even more of a clusterfuck under the hood. So I continue to swear and buy parts.

First pic is of the passenger side bank with the valve cover and everything taken off. You can see the head of each injector and how they are tucked in between the rockers.

2nd pic- This is an injector up close. You can see that its held in with a fork and one hold down bolt. The bolt is a T45 torx that is supposed to be torqued to 26 foot lbs and there is only clearance for a 1/4" drive wrench. I bought 4 sets of torx bits trying to find one that is the right length and width to get it done without binding on the side of the injector. Snap on apparently makes one just for this and I should probably order it.

3,4 and 5 are of the injector after I pulled it out. The copper washer looks like it was seated at one time, so I don't know if it backed off or what. The o-rings are also good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck001-DSCF0419.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	140027   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck007-DSCF0425.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	140028   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck009-DSCF0427.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	140029   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck011-DSCF0429.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	140030   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck012-DSCF0430.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	140031  

Old 07-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Made From Scratch

Pic 1- here is the injector cup. It's 4 or 5 inches to the bottom of it, making it a real pain to clean. The copper washer has to crush against the bottom and form a seal to keep combustion gases from coming back into the fuel rail.

Pic 2- here is the oil rail re-installed. It is held down with 9 T30 torx bolts (more like screws) that get torqued to 120 inch-lbs. There isn't room to get a torque wrench on all of them because of the heater box next to it.

Pic 3-you can see how much clearance there is between the evaporator and the oil rail. I had to buy a 1/4 inch breaker bar and a set of stubby torx bits to get these 2 bolts out.

Pic 4- here is is with the valve cover, wire harness, heater hose,and glow plug controller re-attached. Now you see why I whined like a little girl at the thought of taking it apart and putting it back together multiple times....

Pic 5- here is all buttoned up with the coolant filter, battery, intercooler pipe, MAP sensor, and alternator back in place.

Like I said, I love the truck but I've grown to hate working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck013-DSCF0431.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	140032   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck015-DSCF0433.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	140033   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck017-DSCF0435.jpg
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	140034   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck018-DSCF0436.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	140035   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck020-DSCF0438.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	140036  

Old 07-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Do you have a picture of the sealing "copper" washer by it's self?
That doesn't look like the correct seal.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Made From Scratch

I can take one tomorrow before I ship it back. The washers were installed on the injectors when I got them, so if they aren't the right kind I'm in for a lot of swearing.....
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 PM
SFT Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Do you have a picture of the sealing "copper" washer by it's self?
That doesn't look like the correct seal.
Any of the 6.0's I've ever seen had those. They come installed on the injector.

Something is up with the seal of the injector to the head. There's a TON of carbon above the copper sealing washer. Maybe it's just the oil coking on the hot injector.

I have the snapnon T 45. It's twice the length of a regular 1/4 hex bit but does not come with a socket. I've dropped the damn things in more engines than I care to admit.

Doing two injectors on a 7.3 right now at the house. It's easier than falling down.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Any of the 6.0's I've ever seen had those. They come installed on the injector.

Something is up with the seal of the injector to the head. There's a TON of carbon above the copper sealing washer. Maybe it's just the oil coking on the hot injector.

I have the snapnon T 45. It's twice the length of a regular 1/4 hex bit but does not come with a socket. I've dropped the damn things in more engines than I care to admit.

Doing two injectors on a 7.3 right now at the house. It's easier than falling down.
I thought it was weird how much dirt is above the washer, when the face of the washer is mostly clean and the hold down bolt was tight. I'm going to clean it up tomorrow and see if I can find a crack or anything obviously wrong. I'll try to get better pics of it.

Swamps helpful hints says to ignore the torque spec's and to tighten the bolt until it won't turn anymore, then hit the injector with a brass hammer, and try to tighten the bolt again. I definitely didn't follow that procedure.

Its a horrible freight wrench, but I did use a torque wrench and I set it at 27-ft lbs and tried to click it at least twice on each one.