Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 07-11-2017, 06:52 AM

swamps is right about seating that POS injector.. got to hit them as they will fool you that they are bottomed out

Give me all the 7.3.......heck with the others but the 60 sure do have better auto trans

Smoking is right--there is something wrong with all that buildup..o ring bad..ect?? bet it just dint seat but the injector quit working too

I have worked with the Swamp group since before they started -Gave Jonathon 3 injectors to tear apart and modify many years ago to start the business !!! look what they got built up now to!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Made From Scratch

I changed the oil just to make sure it wasn't diluted with fuel today and topped off the coolant. Took some pics of the injector after cleaning the sludge off. I'll post them later tonight hopefully.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Made From Scratch

Got sidetracked.. Here's the injector pics.
For those that aren't familiar with them, these are hydraulic electric unit injectors (HEUI). They work on the same principle as a syringe, only the plunger is depressed by high pressure oil at around 3000psi.

The hole in the head is where the oil rail sits on it to provide hydraulic pressure, and the small orifice between the o-rings on the side is where they line up with the fuel journal..

Injection control voltage (FICM) is important because the spool valves are cycled electronically. So if you have low voltage, the injectors tend to stick, especially when the oil is cold or thick.

Fuel supply pressure is important because if there isn't sufficient fuel in the compression chamber of the injector, there isn't any resistance to the ram firing and it can become damaged or stuck.

All in all it's a neat system and has the benefit of not needing an injection pump, and the fuel lines only have to hold 70psi so plumbing is easier and bleeding isn't as big an issue. It obviously has a lot of downfalls also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck019-DSCF0442.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	140071   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck021-DSCF0444.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	140072   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck025-DSCF0448.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	140073   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck026-DSCF0449.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	140074   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck024-DSCF0447.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	140076  

Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I'm 6ft 3, with a 79 inch arm span and somehow my arms are too short. My hands are also too big and parts are expensive.
Wingman.
I dub thee Wingman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
Got sidetracked.. Here's the injector pics.
For those that aren't familiar with them, these are hydraulic electric unit injectors (HEUI). They work on the same principle as a syringe, only the plunger is depressed by high pressure oil at around 3000psi.

The hole in the head is where the oil rail sits on it to provide hydraulic pressure, and the small orifice between the o-rings on the side is where they line up with the fuel journal..

Injection control voltage (FICM) is important because the spool valves are cycled electronically. So if you have low voltage, the injectors tend to stick, especially when the oil is cold or thick.

Fuel supply pressure is important because if there isn't sufficient fuel in the compression chamber of the injector, there isn't any resistance to the ram firing and it can become damaged or stuck.

All in all it's a neat system and has the benefit of not needing an injection pump, and the fuel lines only have to hold 70psi so plumbing is easier and bleeding isn't as big an issue. It obviously has a lot of downfalls also
I also want to complement your writing ability, Wingman.
Mark Twain once referred to his own composition style by saying something to the effect that it might not always be proper but at least it was communicable.
So is yours. Your posts in this thread are clearly worded and very enjoyable to read.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Cutter said it all......

I have been 3 days trying to write a 5 minute retirement speech for Sunday event and im still just a old dumb redneck so i will just be done as it minuis some cussing said my wife.

That injector has been ran loose IMO with the wear on the orings and copper.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 AM
Made From Scratch

That could be the case, but I had to break torque to take it out. It popped and tried to bust my knuckles for good measure. I cleaned the cup as much as possible and put the new one in. So far it's hauled 75 bales of hay, and 13 horses to the county fair. Just have to keep my fingers crossed I guess.

I appreciate you guys following along. I have to admit that I pay more attention to my writing after hanging out here for awhile.

Looks like I can still get 4.5 hrs of sleep before I go back to water and drag arenas, and make sure the teenagers and horses don't kill each other. It's going to be a long week