Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Don't listen to those grumpy bastards--I don't think they've had their meds today...

Thanks, Bob.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Stick welds in AC and DC Positive/Negative
Operates on either 110vAC, 15-amp circuit or 220vAC, 30-amp circuit
That doesn't make sense. I don't own an inverter welder, could that be a typo or for real?

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter615 View Post
Nope not a salesman just copied the specs from the web site. I am just very happy to get a new machine.
I have a longevity which is probably the parent or brother of your eastwood. TIG is pretty good, the stick is not real wonderful, but I may be spoilt from having a great machine as well. I bought it for tig.

Let us know how the stick works on yours.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
That doesn't make sense. I don't own an inverter welder, could that be a typo or for real?
It is for real.
Most (if not all) inverters have this feature. On 120 v they use a doubler circuit to get the voltage up to the proper operating level but at 1/2power. A 200 amp 240v machine will be a 100 amp machine on 120 v .
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 PM

Talking

Thanks for the comments, and yes I will post pictures and give my 2 cents on the machine. I like others purchased it for TIG work only. I dont even know if it comes with a stick stinger or not and dont care about that. I have a Lincoln Thoumb Stone for stick.

I just cant wait till I get it and get it unpacked.

Question: I do have a bottle of Argon / Co2 mix for my mig, will that work to get a feel for the machine or should I wait till I can get a bottle of 100% Argon?

Thanks for all your comments.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter615 View Post
Thanks for the comments, and yes I will post pictures and give my 2 cents on the machine. I like others purchased it for TIG work only. I dont even know if it comes with a stick stinger or not and dont care about that. I have a Lincoln Thoumb Stone for stick.

I just cant wait till I get it and get it unpacked.

Question: I do have a bottle of Argon / Co2 mix for my mig, will that work to get a feel for the machine or should I wait till I can get a bottle of 100% Argon?

Thanks for all your comments.

You will need 100% argon for Tig, or argon Helium mix if doing aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Lord of the Minions

FF'615, welcome to the site due to your recent postings. It's not unusual for one to register and then years later to post for the first time. Not unusual at all.

I can remember the early days of the Inverter technologies being offered to the public mostly in a cost reduction for equipment or basic bang for the buck sort of deal, but understand I'm no expert with such things.

The pisser for me in my neck of the woods is that I can find old school 1 ton machines for tig etc that are 3 phase only for about a penny a pound or a dollar an amp for 300 to 400 amp used. sigh........... 220 1 phase will have you paying a premium compared.

I've not even seen what an Eastwood machine looks like, but have used something offered branded by Snap On. While I prefer my Econotig, as I'm comfortable with it and it's abilities, the Snap On did just fine.

Be sure to listen and read well what some of these guys and gals have to say as they, in my humble opinion, are very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics, welding machines and this line of machine tooling of all sort. Very learned for sure, although we are mostly old grumpy bastards like already mentioned. If we were not, hell this forum would not even exist today.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
FF'615, welcome to the site due to your recent postings. It's not unusual for one to register and then years later to post for the first time. Not unusual at all.

I can remember the early days of the Inverter technologies being offered to the public mostly in a cost reduction for equipment or basic bang for the buck sort of deal, but understand I'm no expert with such things.

The pisser for me in my neck of the woods is that I can find old school 1 ton machines for tig etc that are 3 phase only for about a penny a pound or a dollar an amp for 300 to 400 amp used. sigh........... 220 1 phase will have you paying a premium compared.

I've not even seen what an Eastwood machine looks like, but have used something offered branded by Snap On. While I prefer my Econotig, as I'm comfortable with it and it's abilities, the Snap On did just fine.

Be sure to listen and read well what some of these guys and gals have to say as they, in my humble opinion, are very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics, welding machines and this line of machine tooling of all sort. Very learned for sure, although we are mostly old grumpy bastards like already mentioned. If we were not, hell this forum would not even exist today.

My ears are burning....

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
It is for real.
Most (if not all) inverters have this feature. On 120 v they use a doubler circuit to get the voltage up to the proper operating level but at 1/2power. A 200 amp 240v machine will be a 100 amp machine on 120 v .
Terry, I can understand that logic a bit better. The power is down to a quarter of it's capacity on 120V tho. If that's what makes an inverter sing, that's what makes it sing.

120V x 15 Amp = 1800 Watt

240V x 30 Amp = 7200 Watt

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Something's Fishy ...

The slight flaw in that is the assumption that on 115 volts the current is limited to 15 amps. The actual current limiting factor is the input diodes in the machine which in your example must be thirty amp rated.