Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter615 View Post
Question: I do have a bottle of Argon / Co2 mix for my mig, will that work to get a feel for the machine or should I wait till I can get a bottle of 100% Argon?
Ar/CO2 mix will not work for TIG, even in a pinch... You will need to invest in a cylinder of 100% Ar. Do not lease but purchase. I would recommend an 80 at a bare minimum, 125 preferred. You would only need Ar/He mix or straight He for specialty metals (such as Mg) or for very thick Al welding which I doubt that machine would even be capable of.

Not only is Ar a shielding gas, it is also a Noble gas, and freely exchanges electrons (ie: electrically conductive) which assists arc travel.

Get the tank from a company that will be in business years from now. I'm not endorsing AirGas but the store they are in (my LWS) changed from Holox to Linde to AirGas. They bought out TriTech around here a while back. Same guy is still working the counter all these years and I've never had an issue exchanging tanks.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

Unfortunately Airgas has bought all other competition in my neighborhood except for what little the auto parts stores have, and the big box stores. Of course, Airgas was bought out by Linde company a while back. Just another big corporation getting bigger, and the stores not stocked as well anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Just another big corporation getting bigger, and the stores not stocked as well anymore.
My LWS (AirGas) has the house brand Radnor. I try to avoid buying it but as stocks of name-brand stuff depletes (WeldCraft TIG torch parts, for example) it is replaced by Nadgor...

The longtime sales guy behind the counter, Tim, always cuts me a break on stuff because he knows it can be ridiculously inexpensive online. I don't mind paying a little extra to support a local business but I won't be gouged, either. Having a charge account promotes impulsiveness and is painless until the bill comes. They DO keep Miller consumables in stock for guys like me--we wouldn't have it any other way!

I returned a $40 OE Victor O/A welding tip because I got an import for $8 online. Actually I got 3 different sizes x$8. If it had been the actual orifice size I wanted, I would have kept it, especially if I had used it. But as the O and acetylene don't care what tip they are mixed in, the imports just made sense.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
My ears are burning....
Can't imagine why big guy. lol

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Lord of the Minions

FF'615, ok now............you bought this thing on the 5th and the sun has come up and gone down a few times now, have you fired this baby up and melted some filler or burnt some rods?

Pictures man, frickin take some pictures. lol

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 AM

It was delivered on the 12th. I have unpacked it but that is far as I have gotten. There has been a death in the immediate family and I will need to get an Argon tank before I can fire it up. Sorry for the delay but it might be a little while before I am able to get it up and running but I will and when I do I will post my opinion of the welder and also send pictures. I can tell you this that I am very impressed with the looks of the machine. It has no plastic connections like the ones in the past, and the two wires going to the foot peddle are now one cable. So in that respect I am very impressed with the purchase.

Thanks for asking and I am sorry that I have not fired it up and posted updates but with the family emergency that I have i hope that you all understand.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Lord of the Minions

FF'615, this thread nudged me into making a list of things to do on my old Honda flat tracker 250 single.

I need to pull the head, clean the pocket and add a little Al to a spot where one of the exh studs broke off a bit of the heads exh outer port. Locate, drill and install a new stud.

There is an 'old timers' race weekend coming up in La. next month and I figured I'd take the 250 and 305's and my JAP for a bit of fun. At my age, insurance is a good thing to have.

I want to do this before I retire.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 PM

Talking Alum weld first time

Well I got the new welder setup and the first thing that I tried to weld was a coupon of Aluminum. Well as you can tell I am not good at all with TIG Welding but with seat time I am sure that I will get better so be easy on me. This welder is EVERYTIHING that Eastwood said that it would be. I am very please with the purchase and I would encourage anyone that is looking to purchase a TIG machine to consider them as a strong candidate.
I have never welded Aluminum before so it was a bit of a challenge to get it zeroed in with out blow holes.

I am also adding a picture as promised.

Well I tried but I am not able to figure it out. I have it posted on PhotoBucket.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:49 PM

Default I will try to post a picture

this is an attempt to post a picture of the weld
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-22 23.53.53.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	140129  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter615 View Post
this is an attempt to post a picture of the weld
The welds will get better with some practice.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain