Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 07-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

Default Forged and hammered shovels of worth

After hijacking one of Jen's threads for making bolts etc, I figured it's worth trying to keep some interest in Shovels of worth.

If you gotta dig, make it count is my motto.

Further more, if this does not prove once and for all that I'm pure country boy nothing will. Not even the fact I quit wearing pants and started wearing Bibs 24/7 a couple 30 years back.

All of the places I've been to looking around no longer carry a shovel over it just being dinky, light duty and less likely to be able to dig in a worth while manner. This is only my observations as I have a 'spade' at the farm, one of those flat sheet bent something to resemble a shovel, but more like something useless to a working man's attempt at a task with dirt.

I miss the old ways and older thinking of what is worthy and what is driven by economics.

I've mentioned over the last few weeks that if push comes to shove and I needed another shovel like any of my three good ones, I'd pay upwards of $100 or better for one.

The following is what I last posted to Jen's thread...........

Jen, I found all three of my good shovels, but noticed how short two of the blades/pans are after a few too many years of use and hand file sharpening. I never sharpened to shave with, but did have them sharp enough to slice the grass off the top of the dirt in the yard. Most of the work around a farm or with farming is usually scooping rather than digging.

With the angle of rake on these shovels it allows you to be more in a standing position while scooping rather than bent the frick over with those off the shelf today.

One has a nick on one edge due to hitting the horn of a bull charging me while in a pasture putting up fence for a neighbor. I was lucky enough to hit a horn which turned the shovel from a flat hit to a cutting hit with the shovels side and opened his skull. Dropped that bastard with one swing. This happened with the Bull's owner running away from him and me. I think I was 14 and saw God and my life flash before me. sigh.............

The one on the left(always) is the oldest and was given to me by my Moms Dad once I started chasing levees etc with him when I was a good 7 or 8 years old. It's over 60 years old these days.

It's rake or the degree's of angle from the handle to it's pan is quite a bit more obvious than the other two as some changes were made over the years by all manf's I'll assume.

The one in the middle was bought while chasing crawfish a few years later, but it's still a good 55 years old. I think my Dad bought it as he liked mine.

The one on the far right is the last one bought about 10 or so years ago when I could not find the other two due to the fact that the Step Danger would use my shit, not put it back and/or leave it out in the weather.

I found the one on the right while cleaning out the chicken coop with a broken handle sitting in dirt and chicken shit. Bastard used it and left it where it lay. It may have a few large pits, but they are not too darn deep to weaken it.

These are forged and hammer stamped shovels with a minimum welding on the stick end and some hefty hammer welding on the neck to the pan area's.

As far as the widths of what used to be called a Rice shovel were the about the same degree's of rake of the neck to the pan, but the width of the pan was a good 2 to 3" wider overall than the three I'm showing and with no holes for suction relief.

Annoying, noise laden, but if he actually uses it and keeps it clean, well done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1 shovels.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	139985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2 shovels.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	139986   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 3 shovels.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	139987   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 4 shovels.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	139988  

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Lord of the Minions

My reasons for posting this in the Blacksmithing & Forming room is due to the fact that one day a Smithy may decide it's worth the time and worth the money to be made to actually re-invent the shovel to those times of the 40's, 50's and 60's.

I've not found a supplier for any of the three prized shovels I've got and hopefully won't find it necessary to ever buy another. lol

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have noticed the lack of rake in shovels,what the hell is up with that?
My dad was a cable splicer with Ma Bell,he spend many hours digging holes on the side of the road.
Those old Ma Bell shovels were pretty good,i wish i had a few today..
Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I have noticed the lack of rake in shovels,what the hell is up with that?
One, the manufacturers don't give a rats ass about the poor bastard having to use one.

2nd, realize just how far one has to bend over to scoop shit up due to lack of rake.

I'm an ass when it comes to tools. Had a cousin ask to borrow my posthole digger. The old type, two handles etc.

I said no because the last time they used it they brought it back dirty and rusty. I also had to remind them twice to bring it back. Pissed me off.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Gadget Girl

As with nearly all modern tools..

The fact of how they are used has been engineered out..

It takes another step to get the proper rake in the neck of a shovel, where making it nearly straight can be done in one operation..

I see this kind of thing all the time..

While I used to get a little mad about nearly all the modern blacksmithing videos and modern tools and a lack of common sense..

It dawned on me that we older folks who actually worked hard and knew how to use a shovel or a non digital mic might have something to offer.. It's the reason I made the how to videos..

I hope to make a few more dealing with real blacksmithing vs Fluff blacksmithing but with that being said.. There are many find blacksmiths out there doing some pretty nice work... and while I still consider it fluff (artzy, modern tools, arc welding) it's still pretty nice..

I'm old now and find the level of finish is one of the biggest differences.. KInd of neat..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

I had an old man that worked for me years ago,he was 85 back in 1980,as far as he was concerned if you didnt gas weld it (anything) the weld was NFG.
He gas welded pipes at one of the first helium plants in the USA,he said that a 8'' pipe would have a 1'' hole,meaning the wall thickness was 7'' thick,he said they gas welded every joint,100% weld too,V that baby out and get to welding,he said they would leave a rosebud burning day and night,heating the joint he was welding,preheating that pipe took forever.
He welded well casing with a torch,and was pretty quick with it too.

Interesting stuff.
My shovel days are over,but i do miss the good old tools.