Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-07-2017, 02:02 PM
The Real Deal

Default Dodge

My son gave me his 2015 Dodge 1500 to use well he is out of country for three years, and that he would keep it insured and licensed for me I have never owned a new truck before and it took some time to figure out all the do dads and such. Two weeks ago the air conditioner quit so its still under warranty so the Dodge dealer found a leak and fixed it. I get the truck back and find that I have no heat I take it back in and they replaced the heater core and the thermostat and now they tell me that they have no idea what is wrong with it and that they are going to contact the engineering at Chrysler and will get back to me. WTF They did say that they had to remove the dash to fix the air.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
My son gave me his 2015 Dodge 1500 to use well he is out of country for three years, and that he would keep it insured and licensed for me I have never owned a new truck before and it took some time to figure out all the do dads and such. Two weeks ago the air conditioner quit so its still under warranty so the Dodge dealer found a leak and fixed it. I get the truck back and find that I have no heat I take it back in and they replaced the heater core and the thermostat and now they tell me that they have no idea what is wrong with it and that they are going to contact the engineering at Chrysler and will get back to me. WTF They did say that they had to remove the dash to fix the air.

Sounds like they unplugged or jarred a wire loose.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-07-2017, 11:39 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Sounds like they unplugged or jarred a wire loose.
THIS! ^^^^^

Once upon a time, you could remove a dash pad or instrument cluster by removing a few screws or popping a few clips. The hardest part might be reaching behind to disconnect the speedo cable. Simply remove the glove box and its door to get the heater core out. Reach behind the cluster to replace a turn signal bulb.

Nowadays, the dashboard of a vehicle is a VERY complex assembly, requiring a very specific procedure to remove it or anything housed in or within it. Deviate from this procedure and things get broken.

It is not uncommon for a dash to incorporate a wiring harness or printed circuit or both. This buss (or bus) connects all the various modules and processors that control many functions such as HVAC, airbags, instrument display, stereo, lighting and so on. If it is electric in a car today, there is probably a module that controls it. And all these modules are interconnected by the buss and share data that way. If they damaged the buss that connects to the HVAC it could have resulted in your issue.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM
The Real Deal

Now they are going to change the water pump I asked him if they always changed water pumps when the heater is not putting out heat, I said that it doesn't make sense. He said all they can do now is what Chrysler says.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
He said all they can do now is what Chrysler says.
Good luck!

FCA/Cry sler also says that they find it acceptable for the Dart with a 2.5 multiair engine to consume a quart of oil every 750 to 1000 miles on an engine with only 50,000 miles!!!

Southeast Michigan
https://www.facebook.com/Metalcraftbymoose
Old 07-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

This one is scary,,,,.... Tell them to check and see if there is too much gas in the fuel system, I heard that can cause problems too !

Edit, I should mention, back in the day, when I had my own garage, 3 different body shops used to bring me the mechanical work, their guys did not want to do, about half that work was putting new dashes in mostly from deployed air bags, and of course on almost brand new cars, ( blown bags in anything about 4+ years old is usually scrapped unless it was ultra expensive ). That being said, that is why I find this scary, I have " some " knowledge of whats going on here.. they have the info and the tools to figure it out, but sounds like they might be short on personnel to put it all together,...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:38 PM
SFT Executive Chef

This is what you get when 22 year olds with 20 years experience perform work that doesn't go well. Now, there is a 28 year old engineer that's never been under a hood calling the shots over the phone.

Not that I have any experience with that.

Go to the head nigger in charge. The grand poohbah. The grey headed guy in the corner of the sales floor and tell him about your experience. Anyone with an IQ over 40 knows this doesn't smell right. He will knock some sense into the service dept and get them to think on their own and correct their original fuck up.

Morons, everyone of em.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
This is what you get when 22 year olds with 20 years experience perform work that doesn't go well. Now, there is a 28 year old engineer that's never been under a hood calling the shots over the phone.

Not that I have any experience with that.

Go to the head nigger in charge. The grand poohbah. The grey headed guy in the corner of the sales floor and tell him about your experience. Anyone with an IQ over 40 knows this doesn't smell right. He will knock some sense into the service dept and get them to think on their own and correct their original fuck up.

Morons, everyone of em.
+1 on this... ^^^^

When I was a FL Lemon Law Arbitrator, probably 95% of the cases were from a vehicle not getting fixed right the first time. And the mfg gets 3 or 4 tries and no more than a week out of service (or something like that) then the car is deemed a "lemon" and the mfg buys it back. Or more specifically, pays the book value less mileage charge and any remaining money goes to the lienholder first. It wasn't uncommon for victorious consumers be "upside down" in their cars and have to pay money to get out of the lemon!

Keep track of the time you spend on this--maybe MN has a Lemon Law?

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM
SFT Historian

When does the warranty run out?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 PM
SFT Historian

If the heater does not work it is unlikely that the windshield defroster works.