Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Welder Cart

I have been wanting to reclaim some floor space in the shop. One problem area was three welders taking up too much floor space.

I picked up a weight lifting safety cage at a second hand store. Plenty of 2 inch square tube to get started. Initially I was just going to use it to get the TIG and small MIG up off the floor so I could park the other MIG below it.

I thought it would be time well spent to make a mobile cart that would hold all three welders and the tanks. I had an extra engine rebuilding stand that was made out of 3 inch tube that had 4 heavy swivel casters.

So, I cut the engine stand base free and cut down the cage to fit the welders. I changed the design a couple of times during the build. Good thing I only had it tacked together. A little angle iron and plate added to the base to support the TIG and tanks. Then sandblasted and painted. The last pic is all the unused pieces of the cage.

Total cost: $18. (cage $3, 2 eye bolts $2, paint $13) The rest was stuff I had laying around.

Loaded up it weighs about 1000 lbs and rolls with a little effort.

This was part 2 of a minor shop upgrade.

Part 1 was adding a 120/240v circuit for my work bench and adding lighting above the bench. I also ran ½ inch airlines to the lathe and mill and hung an air hose reel on the ceiling above the bench.

I should have done this years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	141002   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	141003   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	141004   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	141005   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	141006  

Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Elite Member

Nice cart. I have been thinking about mods to my welders carts too. Right now have three welders in the shop on three different carts. Thinking about making them on one too.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Total cost: $18. (cage $3, 2 eye bolts $2, paint $13) The rest was stuff I had laying around.
Looks good from Tucson. Nice smooth floor, so you won't tip it over.

A cage for $3.00? You SUCK!

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 AM
Post Fiend

Nice job, TriH! I think you should use the scraps as cord/hose hangers--NO waste! What are the gases? Ar, C25 and CO2?

I am a firm believer the welder (the machine) should help to create its cart but lately I've just plopped the welder down on a cheapy $8 HF moving dolly. I screw some scrap plywood down on top of the cart and just position the small welder onto it. The hoses, etc. get coiled on top of it then I cut down a contractor bag so it is not so deep and put it on top of it. Then it gets tucked under the bench.

The gas (a 300) lives on its own specialized cart (was $15 and a block away) and pushed into its own nook when done.

I DID purchase an HF cart for $32 with coupon. It fits the MM140 perfectly (after shimming it up with a piece of 1/2" ply--spool door wouldn't open ) and the lil' Hobie 250ci plasma fits nicely on the bottom. Goggles, gloves, etc fit on the middle shelf.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Very Nice, that will clear up the floor area, for sure.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM

The Tower of Power!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonian View Post
Looks good from Tucson. Nice smooth floor, so you won't tip it over. A cage for $3.00? You SUCK!

I shop a couple 2d hand stores near me. If I can find stuff in good condition, that I need, and can save a few dollars, then I have a few more dollars to spend on something else.

I usually don’t buy stuff just because I find a deal. However, 2 weeks ago I found a Milwaukee Deep Cut Portable Bandsaw at the 2d hand store for $20. It is the same model that I already have. It had a brush sticking and the armature needed a little polishing. I spent an hour and took it all apart cleaned, lubed and it works like new. So now I have two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Nice job, TriH! I think you should use the scraps as cord/hose hangers--NO waste! What are the gases? Ar, C25 and CO2?

The power cords will probably be the next change. I’m thinking that I’ll take the long cord off the MIG and wire it to a double box on the cart so the cart will have a cord that powers both machines.

You are close on the bottles. The 300 is Argon for the TIG, the 125 is C25 and the 250 is Stargon (90% Argon, 8% CO2 and 2% O2).

Stargon allows me to MIG in short-circuit, globular or spray transfer and the O2 helps stabilize the arc at low amps. I used to just use C25 but I wanted to be able to use spray transfer. With Stargon, the arc is a little cooler than with C25, but the higher amount of Argon lets me get into spray transfer. For what I do, it is a good compromise. At my gas supplier, it costs the same as C25.

This cart takes up less space than the 2 welders that were in its place, so I now have a new space to fill.

My brother gave me a parts missing Baldor Carbide grinder that he got from the scrap guy for free. He just wanted the cast iron pedestal base it was mounted on. The grinder needed bearings and was missing: the drip trays, 1 table and did not have wheels or wheel flanges.

I replaced the bearings and turned a flange so I could mount a cup wheel. (I already had a couple aluminum oxide and a silicon carbide wheel). I thought about making a table for the other side, but I may just pick up an inexpensive diamond cup wheel on Ebay and use the other side for sharpening tungstens.

He has not done anything with the base, so I may hit him up to let me use it until he wants it. The grinder would fit nicely in my new found wall space.

Better yet, the next project could be a custom stand that will hold multiple grinders...
Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Auction Addict

Vertical storage is a real space saver.

Loyalty to the Nation all the time, loyalty to the Government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Vertical storage is a real space saver.
Absolutely and exactly why I built my garage with a 12 foot ceiling. I lined all the walls with heavy duty shelving STARTING AT 5 FEET so the floor would be clear for rolling equipment and tool boxes. All the electric is at 4 feet so no fumbling around behind shelving to plug something in. I use a rolling stair to reach things on the higher shelves. Only thing I noticed is as I get older it's a bit harder to get heavy things down so I may need a lift soon!