Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Long stroke toe jack??

I've seen Hiway's quickie toe jack thread, but occasionally could use a longer lift - I have two of these

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-...ack-94562.html

And saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppZysqQzl6A

Just wondering if anybody does NOT think I'm insane (not a trick question, I already KNOW I AM ) for thinking the Enerpac idea could work with one of the cherry picker jacks with a bit of "RGE" (Rube Goldberg Engineering)

I know I can get a 10 ton for $269 new

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...2999196&sr=8-4

But it only has a 5.9" range max; plus, where's the challenge (other than paying for it) in THAT??!?

OK, fire at will (instead of me :=) but you gotta provide yer own ammo... Steve
Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Something's Fishy ...

When I read the title I thought Jeez that could give a platypus a seizure.

I suspect that the ram will bend because they are not designed for that type of load. I would build it and test it well before I put anybody's precious parts close to it on a long lift.
Also once you have lifted the load 4 inches you can either us more conventional lifting gear or block it and reset the lifting gear for a further lift with much more safety.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 PM

"I thought Jeez that could give a platypus a seizure"

Hehe, nope- I'm not dyslexic, otherwise I might've written "Stroke Jack's Long Toe??!?"

Yeah, kinda wondered about that jack being able to handle it, but it's rated to PUSH 8 tons (Yeah, I know it's HF) - that's why when I saw the vid on Enerpac's version of a toe jack it seems like most of the side strain would be handled by those T&G side plates?

I figured those pin ends on the air/hyd jack could be locked in by a clevis/pin arrangement on both ends, then it'd just be a matter of using heavy enough steel.

I also liked the keyhole choices on the Enerpac, those'd definitely want some grade 8's.

I'm gettin' ready to bring in a couple of 40' sea cans when my guy finds decent ones, so I'm looking at ways to jockey 'em around a bit without having to finish revitalizing my tired old 580B FIRST - got at least 7 more cylinders to kit and an attempt at getting system pressure back up to spec; might be wishful thinking, but I tend to do that to myself a lot... Steve
Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 AM

I thought it was some exotic disease.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 PM

It IS, Clive - generally called "Tool-aholism" - even "interventions" seldom help ...Steve
Old 08-30-2017, 01:10 AM

Default Slight change of plan -

My guy might be getting more 40 foot cans in the next week, and the reason I wanted the jacks in the first place is mainly to do minor jockeying on the support beams so both cans run parallel to, and as close as possible to, 12 feet AWAY from the shop - shop is 48 feet long, cans will be 80 when placed end to end - west end will be flush with west end of the shop, east end will stick out past the shop by 36 feet -

This is the WINDWARD side, winds don't get boys or girls names around here but they've been known to reach 80+ mph; when bringing "horizontal rain" it's not real fun to be out in.

The cans will let me clear out enough crap (inventory) in the shop so I can actually DO something in there; right now there's 2-1/2 units of 5/8 T1-11 siding stacked in there, 'nuther stack of 10' long 1" thick rough-sawn tannoak that's 5' wide and almost 6' tall, 'nuther stack of cedar 2x6/beech face frame material, beech and oak cabinet doors, maple shop cabinets, most of which is stacked anywhere from 6-8 feet tall. And that's just the BIGGER piles

Anyway, I'm hoping to do a steel-framed modular roof over the whole can thang next year, so that 12' wide "tunnel" can keep my tractors, dump truck, trailers, manlifts, etc, out of the weather when(if) I finally get 'em all working - it'll also be wide enough I can WORK on 'em without scuba...

To make a long story even longer, I decided to "purpose build" a couple adapters to turn my shorter 20 ton air/hydraulic jacks into "sorta" toe jacks so I can get these cans straight and parallel without having to have the driver move 'em 3-4 times - the jacks will slide into the corner sockets of a can from the SIDE (so there doesn't need to be space between the closed ends of cans) and I'll be able to jack one end up, put a roller between it and its PT 4x6 support and use a pinch bar to get each end as close to 12' from the shop as possible, then jack it and remove the roller.

Hopefully I can get 'em ready for "inventory" before the crap weather hits, so maybe I can get enough shop space freed up to stay only SORTA insane this winter

That said, here's what I got done today; it's only 'sposed to get up to 80 degrees manana, if all goes well I might get both of 'em welded out.

Pics - All material except one piece is 3/4x3 FB - the lower horizontal piece in the second pic is 3/8 thick and has a 1-7/8" hole thru, it'll be welded to the upper horizontal piece and make a "pocket" for the jack's ram to lock into so it doesn't slide off.

Also, I did some minor tweaks on the Jet saw and got it to cut straight enough that I could SAW the deep bevels I want for best penetration on these welds - ended up with half the time and maybe 20% of the "sweat equity" compared to previous projects with a grinder - had to get a bit sneaky on those 45* gussets, as the pics show ...Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2821.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	140718   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2823.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	140719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2824.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	140720   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2826.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	140721   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2827.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	140722  

Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 AM

Couple more - The LAST one is sorta what I intend for the OTHER two cans, only 84' long instead of 24', and cut-to-length gavalume instead of the fiberglass; I can get that cheaper and it'll hold up better.... Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2830.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	140723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2832.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	140724   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2801.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	140725  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Put the HF 8 ton long stroke jack inside 4" box tubing, make the sliding portion
(approx. 4 1/2" sq) out of two pieces of press braked 1/4" plate (make
angle iron) shim with some masking tape, tack weld on corners.

I would suggest wrapping the masking tape about 6 turns on the 4" inner tube,
before clamping the angles on the outside for welding (provides just about
the right amount of clearance)

Last edited by digger doug; 09-04-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 PM

That's sorta the plan I had; it's been a while since I looked at those air/hyd jacks, don't recall if the air pump would get in the way of an EASY plan. For now tho, I gotta get the pieces welded up for the 20 tonners; my guy found a couple nice looking cans that'll probably be here day after tomorrow.

It's 'sposed to be 80 here today, 89 tomorrow, and 97 Fri - then hovering at or above 100 the next 4-5 days.

I may be retired, but I'm considering going back on graveyard shifts ... Steve
Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

About how much are the cans. I realize that shipping would be added, but am curious.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden