Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
Miller did use Hypertherm's designed torch on their machines, and a huge reason Cutter's machine sucks..
lol
Scott, I guess I understated the situation because this little Spectrum would actually have to improve quite a bit just to suck.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:10 AM

Any pro is going to tell you go Hypertherm, and they do make great machines and have excellent support, and have some very talented, outgoing, passionate people who work for them. I used a thermal dynamics about 15 years ago and absolutely loved it. If I were in the market today I would seriously consider both.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 AM

So yes I will go with hypertherm I think. If I get a model with a air compressor in it would I be able to hook up a back up air compressor to it? The ones with an air compressor I read that they have one of those water filters for the air already in it so it would save me some agrivivation to do it that way.

But after I get one I'm going to have to adjust a regular garage to have the power of a metal shop if I want to cut for a decent amount of time with my hypertherm. Its output will only get better as I increase the amperage coming to the garage but I'm no electrician
Old 09-10-2016, 08:59 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeSpark View Post
... Its output will only get better as I increase the amperage coming to the garage but I'm no electrician
Ummm no it won't...

If you put any equipment on a circuit that will not supply what the machine
demands you will trip breakers or blow fuses.

If you put equipment on circuits that can provide more power than your
machine needs the machine is only going to demand what it needs and no
more.

Your manual will tell you what you need to supply the machine, set it up as
the manual states.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeSpark View Post
So yes I will go with hypertherm I think. If I get a model with a air compressor in it would I be able to hook up a back up air compressor to it? The ones with an air compressor I read that they have one of those water filters for the air already in it so it would save me some agrivivation to do it that way.
The 30 air can only be used with it's built in air compressor. You might want to wait a few weeks, and see what the heck Hypertherm is bringing out next.. Might be a larger air model,or even more powerful then a 45.. ( Just a guess) Either way it's probably going to move the bar some in portable small plasma cutters..

Cutter,
if I had a 375 spectrum in my possession, I would use a Thermal adapter 7-3477, ATC hook up, and SL-40 torch with a 9-0091 tip.. That, or a SL-60 torch with a 9-8205/6 tip.. (yes, victor calls them tips) Of course I Have all the stuff, other then the 7-3477 kit.. You would be shocked, and think that Miller does build a pretty good plasma cutter.. Even a Trafimet S-45 could be doable. These guys are not chopped liver, and you will see a whole lot of Hypertherm in some of their designs.. They were not copying anyone, just building for someone..It would give you much more options as to size, and style of nozzles.. Have one on my INE 33 cutter.. Big world out there, and it's not all about just one way to do something, like so many think it is.. Half the the time I wish I have my Victor on my table over my Hypertherm.5 minute change out though..

If I still had my Esab, it would probably be on my table over the Hypertherm or Victor.. They just had some issues with their power supplies, so a bit scary to own out of Warranty.. This is why Esab has chose to run with the Victor machines, until the New stuff out of NH comes on line.. Yes they are in NH of all places..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trafimet-Erg...gAAOSwd0BVx5qG
Old 09-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Miller makes there own, just like they did when they made units for Hypertherm. It's never been the other way around.. Miller did use Hypertherm's designed torch on their machines, and a huge reason Cutter's machine sucks..

Thats bullshit!!, Hyperterm used the exact same torch on their equipment, without issue, without a problem, you just can't stand anybody liking Hypertherm. I have friends who own the exact same model Cutter has and I own one, they work perfectly. I have no idea what Cutter's problem is, but the torch design is not the problem.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
Thats bullshit!!, Hyperterm used the exact same torch on their equipment, without issue, without a problem, you just can't stand anybody liking Hypertherm. I have friends who own the exact same model Cutter has and I own one, they work perfectly. I have no idea what Cutter's problem is, but the torch design is not the problem.

Those torches suck.

No clue at all..
Old 09-10-2016, 11:32 AM

I read one of the Miller options had a built in air compressor that u could hook up an external air supply to. Some of you guys are saying Miller sucks and some are saying it's just fine but the overall evaluation is that hypertherm is the most trustworthy brand. Are they coming out with a new model that could potentially have the built in compressor with an external option?

I know what you guys are saying about the electricity, but I think my garage wouldn't have enough power to run the machine efficiently since it's only the most basic unaltered garage
Old 09-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Those torches suck.

No clue at all..

Sorry, I forgot I was in present of the all knowing Scott.

another one for the ignore list
Old 09-10-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post

Sorry, I forgot I was in present of the all knowing Scott.

another one for the ignore list
Well, that escalated quickly!

Tags
metal art, plasma cutter, sheet metal