Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I also use the Motorguard filter but instead of buying their cellulose filters I use a roll of toilet paper. When the TP gets wet it swells and shuts off the air, and then you need to change the TP and desiccant.
Been cutting on my CNC table for 10 years now and I can't say I have ever blown a tip from water with this protection on it. I have the dryer setup on the wall, and if I have to paint, I can draw my paint gun air through it as well.
You're some kinda genius aren't you. I kinda wanna see what that looks like
Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeSpark View Post
You're some kinda genius aren't you. I kinda wanna see what that looks like
Not. Just cheap.
It looks like a 30" piece of 2" pipe mounted vertically on the wall with an inlet and outlet and the Mogard on the top.
I am down in Vancouver for meetings this week, but I can post a picture when I get home on the weekend if you wish.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Elite Member

Do not use a motor guard filter with a toilet paper roll, unless you have another filter stopping the fibers that will come out.. Just dare you to paint something black, and see the little specs in you get in your paint. Many techs find fibers in the plasma cutter lines over time. Use the correct filters.. Motor-guard are better for stopping oil then water.. A true desiccant filter from Van-air or similar is a much better system anyway.. The little Miller filter(Victor used them for years too) is a pretty good little portable setup, and will stop oils, which is way worse for plasma cutters then water..

Wait for a deal on E-bay for one of these.. Generally what Plasma cutter makers use for a option on some of their models.. I bought service kits really cheap, and the driers new for like $25.00..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LA-MAN-5203-...0AAOSwZVlXn1rI
http://weldfabulous.com/thermal-dyna...ir-filter-kit/

Last edited by Scott V; 09-13-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 AM

I agree 100% (for once) with Scott. Definitely not recommended to use toilet paper rolls in the Motorguard for either paint or plasma.....by nature it is designed to break down when wet. A good place for filters and drying are automotive paint supply vendors. Pressure and flow rates are similar to plasma needs. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
Do not use a motor guard filter with a toilet paper roll, unless you have another filter stopping the fibers that will come out.. Just dare you to paint something black, and see the little specs in you get in your paint. Many techs find fibers in the plasma cutter lines over time. Use the correct filters.. Motor-guard are better for stopping oil then water.. A true desiccant filter from Van-air or similar is a much better system anyway.. The little Miller filter(Victor used them for years too) is a pretty good little portable setup, and will stop oils, which is way worse for plasma cutters then water..

Wait for a deal on E-bay for one of these.. Generally what Plasma cutter makers use for a option on some of their models.. I bought service kits really cheap, and the driers new for like $25.00..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LA-MAN-5203-...0AAOSwZVlXn1rI
Old 09-13-2016, 01:37 PM

@Ironman

I'd be very curious to see your set up! Honestly though, I wouldn't be using it for personal use.

This is the air filter hypertherm suggests you use on their product

http://www.hypermaxonline.com/Hypert...647_p_427.html

I may get this one if I can find a good deal on it. Do all air filters have consumable parts? Is their no filter than you can just clean the filter out and stick back in?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeSpark View Post
@Ironman

I'd be very curious to see your set up! Honestly though, I wouldn't be using it for personal use.

This is the air filter hypertherm suggests you use on their product

http://www.hypermaxonline.com/Hypert...647_p_427.html

I may get this one if I can find a good deal on it. Do all air filters have consumable parts? Is their no filter than you can just clean the filter out and stick back in?
I have a Hyper GS1250 and it has that thingy on the back of it. I have the upgraded Duramax machine torch on it. I find that I change my dryer media once a year or maybe 2 years. Jim would disagree but I think the little filter thing you linked is a bandaid solution. It is easy to end up buying 60-150 dollars worth of tips, electrodes, and other parts when I go to town, and for the little effort it takes to protect your investment and get mileage from the tip is worth it.
It seems you are concerned with portability. At the least then, I would use a Motorgard filter with a roll of TP in it. If portable, you are hooking into someone else's air system, and depending on their maintenance for air quality.
Or do what Playpus Jack does and use a bottle of nitrogen and a regulator. for the plasma gas when mobile.

Filters to clean and re-use for water are not in the cards, because the water we are talking about is not about a slug of water like you drain from a tank. If it was, you would only need a water trap. This stuff is humid air that condenses in the machine and tip. Which is why a toilet paper or cellulose filter works well.
Also the process of turning air into an electrically conductive gas, spinning it and focusing it into a beam means exact tolerances. Introducing a foreign object into the stream, that is vaporized inside the tip instead of outside in the target of the plasma stream, is what causes damage. It cuts a groove into the tip and makes the hole oval and enlarged, and often the plasma beam comes out at an angle.
Some makes of plasma cutters are more sensitive then others, and Hypertherm is breeding for water tolerance, but I like to be sure of things, why I set up to clean the air.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Boiler God

I've use the orange disposable desiccant filters for years, they work great. Use a new one on the job, throw it away, when your done and it's cost is covered in the billing, for the job.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Elite Member

I use a water separator I built from the idea from the archives in this very forum. (See franzinator)
I have never had water issues with my plasma, or painting.
I'm not a fan of the desiccant style filters, I had one fail brilliantly, spitting water through that had been trappend in it.
I have a refrigerated drier that I have never plumbed into my air system, but still may one of these days.

I think my water separator is similar to what ironman is running... and come to think of it, there should be a thread somewhere here detailing my air system...

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

These are the style I use.. Just simple, and works perfect. I am still working on my original bucket of pellets from 20 years ago.. Nothing to break/clean, or plugin..

https://youtu.be/U2_8zP-icj0
Old 09-13-2016, 10:43 PM

It just occurred to me that my big compressor tank never has any water in it, or none to speak of, It is an ancient V 4 that was powered by a 15 horse 3 phase motor, which I changed over to a 4 cylinder industrial gas engine.
The big compressor has an oil bath air filter, maybe it is stopping the humidity from ever getting into the compressor. the smaller shop compressor always had water at the drain valve and it has been very humid here this summer, usually the air is fairly dry (14 */* )