Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM

Default Generator and Welder pairing

Hi all, I'm new to welding and have some electrical questions regarding this welder and generator I have. The generator is a Generac GP5500 with a L14-30R receptacle, and the welder is a Century Inverter Arc 230 (DC stick welder, 30 amp max input, 30% duty) with a 6-50P plug.

I almost bought the AC225 which is a 50 amp welder, and Lincoln Electric had a page about requiring a 15000 VA generator minimum due to internal efficiency of the welder. Now I'm wondering if I should cancel the order on the DC welder if it won't pair with the generator. I don't intend to be using it on max output current.

I want to connect them through an adapter, 6-50R to L14-30P. Will this generator provide enough power for the welder? It's supposed to handle peak loads around 6750VA I think, and 5750VA 100% duty.

Also, seeing as I'm new to welding, I'm probably overlooking some details I'd like to be told about. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:04 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

The AC will not work, the inverter probably will. That actually looks like a pretty nice machine.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Thank you, Cary.
I was just posting snarky bump reply because this new guy was being ignored.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM

Well to be honest, I really can't wait for the adapter parts, I'm excited to try it out. Hopefully it won't trip the breakers. I guess at this point there is only one way to find out. And thanks for the bump. I don't think I was being ignored, it's more a case of only a few out of many could give an accurate enough answer. The fact that people aren't making off-the-cuff remarks is a great sign of a mature message board.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Gold Star Dad

That generac is "rated" at 22.9 Amps for 240 V and has a 25A breaker. You won't get the full 150A output from the welder, but it will probably get you up to 120A or so. Good enough for 3/32" electrodes and most 1/8" to the middle of their range.

I'd make some off-the-cuff remarks, but I'm still wearing short sleeved shirts.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
The AC will not work, the inverter probably will. That actually looks like a pretty nice machine.
I will have to go with Cary on this one, even the Inverter is seriously going to
tax that generator. But try it, the worst thing is you will stall the generator.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 09-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
That generac is "rated" at 22.9 Amps for 240 V and has a 25A breaker. You won't get the full 150A output from the welder, but it will probably get you up to 120A or so.
Drat, I see that now. I didn't think I'd get the full output, but I was told it could handle 30A at 225VAC. Probably they meant starting watts not running watts. I'm a little upset now about the 25A breaker. I'll have to consider installing a workshop outlet if it can't handle reduced loads.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Gold Star Dad

You may be OK. Just run the genny in the continuous mode, not idle and power up if it has that setting. It does say it has a max of 28 Amps or so.

Some of the more expensive small inverter welders have power factor correction and are pretty amazing when it comes to efficiency and inrush current. But they aren't inexpensive. I got a deal on a Thermal Arc 161STL dual-voltage 160 Amp welder. It will probably do close to 100A output on a 120V, 20A circuit. It will output 160A on a 240V source at 25 Amps for stick welding. But even on a super closeout deal it was $650. (with TIG torch & regulator).
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I have never ran my max on a genset but it is real efficient and tolerant too. 20A at 240 will easily run 1/8 lo hi. On 20A 120 with 100 ft of wire smokes a 3/32 lo hi. This inverter is interesting. The yardstick for real work is 1/8 7018, for 269 nib and runs from a 12 cord makes it worth consideration as a shop deal but seems for about the same price the green one has dual voltage which is even better.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

I could run my Thermal-arc 186 (AC tig setting ) at 200 amps output on my Japan made MQ-6000 generator.. I am kind of think 155 amps stick should be doable if you don't dead short the stick into the work... Every inverter is different, and generator too.. This MQ has a 11 HP Honda in it.. Not a toy generator in quality..Although some of the cheaper China stuff is really pretty good as far as powering things..

Thermal-arc 161S I had would be no problem running on the MG 6000.. 120 or 240 volts..