Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 04-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Elite Member

Default On sale now

In playing with military trucks(and making some money off them) I have been known to work on vehicles out in the middle of no-where, in creek beds, or if I'm lucky, in a stranger's barn with no tools. I have found that when working with old vehicles that often use fine threads and have some rust, six point sockets are my preferred choice to 12 point.
I have used many tool sets over the years and REALLY liked the Husky sets I had, but one was stolen and the other stays in the basement for minor projects in the house. In my searching for a capable set, I found the Horrible Freight "301 piece master mechanic tool kit" It is mostly lacking in the wrench dept(but most tool "sets" are) I like having wrenches from 1/4 up to one and a quarter with me.

ANYHOO, this tool kit has been with me for about a year now and I can't say much bad about it. I don't like the fact that the sockets don't snap into place(in the case) but thats about it. It has a solidified its place as my go-to set for traveling mechanics duties. I urge anyone looking to give it a try and its on sale right now for 159.99. In my area that means $170 out the door with tax. If you decide to try it the coupon code is 79749590 good till 5/31/17.

It is nice to have a set that you aren't afraid to loose or break while I keep my expensive tools home where they are cared for.

Last edited by gimpyrobb; 04-29-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:59 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Search HF's site and "SORRY, NO ITEMS FOUND FOR "301 PIECE MASTER MECHANIC TOOL KIT"

There's also no result for just "Master Mechanic Tool Kit."

The 301 Piece Professional Mechanic Tool Kit at $200 doesn't look like what you are describing, either.

You didn't have a link handy?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Elite Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/301-pc-...set-69312.html

All the reviewers suck on youtube, but this one gives you a good look. Just turn the sound off and start at 2:32.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF-vP6D-xPQ

Last edited by gimpyrobb; 04-29-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 PM

What's funny is that I was just at a buddy's house this afternoon replacing the AC system on my truck. The first thing he tells me is about this new $160 tool set he just picked up at Harbor Freight so he finally has a set of tools at home and can leave his good stuff at work (Ford dealership).
Old 04-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Elite Member

This set at Northern tool is about $202 by adding another tool to get it above $250.. You have to join the hotline club, but sometimes they throw it in for about $10 extra..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4105_200624105

coupon code. 252521
Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

I didn't see if that set came in a case, do you know?

That might be my next purchase if so.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
I didn't see if that set came in a case, do you know? ....
If you are referring to the Northern Tools set, one of the questions asked was how it was packaged, and the answer was that the individual sets are in their own manilla bags. That, combined with no mention or picture of a case, has me saying no.

Last edited by MAC702; 05-03-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2017, 11:28 PM
Elite Member

DRAT!

I figured as much.