Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Blast this!

I think all this is what can he do . But I have been around a place where we would internal build stuff as a P>O. was such a pain in the arse .
Old 12-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
that is true Kieth but what if you need some acme thread as a feature on a larger machined part?

What is happening here is testing to determine the limits of top's current knowledge and competence. That way he can be used to best results and his knowledge base expanded as needed.

Eggszackly. Today’s practice rod was faster, but I am still not happy with the time it took. I did have it 90% roughed in, in about an hour. Broke one bit trying to hog too much. And ended up grinding a couple more before I finished it.

I am figuring out that the lathe was not leveled in real well when they moved it to replace the scrapped lathe. They never figured it would be used for production again, only as a powerhead to chuck up pistons and heads to use sandpaper by hand to clean up sealing areas, so they just moved it and called it good. I need to get a longer shaft and start doing some test cuts. I think I need to review “Rollie’s Dad Lathe leveling” and dial in this lathe. Just because I will be on it for a year or so, I don’t want to be limited to only 5” pieces.

We are pretty slow now, really the boss probably should not have hired myself and other guy right now, but he figured if he waited, we would not be available when he was ready and busy enough to keep us busy. So we are in learning phase.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Did some practice acme threads today. Welder is building some adjustable stands for new mechanic, and they ordered 1 1/2”-4 nuts, and told me to take some old junk shafts and make 12” long threaded rod for the nuts. Took me a little longer than I thought it would. Hopefully, I will get the next one quicker. Only broke one tool bit and had to resharpen a new one once. got some other ideas to try to make it quicker tomorrow.Attachment 142635

It's hard to see in your picture, what type of Cutting Oil are you using?
Old 12-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Something's Fishy ...

You can get to Technicut and back with an insert faster than I can grind an hss cutter to correct profile. That is not true for me I must anticipate what tooling the next customer job needs and bring it in or send the job elsewhere or make a cutter.

As far as make or buy a standard part such as threaded rod or rod ends nobody wants to maker a $200 rod end if it can be bought for $25.
Sometimes it is not available fast enough for the customers requirement then you make it and get the job out the door.
Flexibility is the key and experience breeds flexibility
Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
It's hard to see in your picture, what type of Cutting Oil are you using?

That rod I was using tap magic cutting fluid. Today, I was using the regular coolant in the lathe pump to keep it cool for the bulk of the thread cutting. Then switched to tap magic for finishing cuts.

The rods were about 12” long, and I was turning them from old cylinder chrome shafts that we replaced. I have plenty of raw junk material to practice on it kills me to see what they scrap.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden