Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2017, 06:24 AM
Lord of the Minions

I have 3 Dewalts and all 3 have gear noise. Racket is more like it. One more tool to go to the Milwaukee side, but corded.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I have 3 Dewalts and all 3 have gear noise. Racket is more like it. One more tool to go to the Milwaukee side, but corded.
Jef,

I hope the Milwaukee grinders, work out for you, 20+ years ago, I gave up on them because the angle drive gears were very soft, I broke the gear about a dozen times. Hopefully for you this is no longer a problem. The gear issue is what pushed me to the Metabo grinders.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
The gear issue is what pushed me to the Metabo grinders.
I've got two trusty large side grinders, one with a metal case and the other a Milwaukee of about 20 years old and both solid as day one.

Tell me more of the Metabo smaller side grinders.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. A dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I've got two trusty large side grinders, one with a metal case and the other a Milwaukee of about 20 years old and both solid as day one.

I owned a couple Matabo 4-1/2" grinders a couple years back not that they are bad or undependable tools they just seem to grow wings here and fly away when your not looking but that was at a time when we were experiencing a lot of break ins in the neighbor hood some neighbors actual were able to recover some property but i was not so lucky the link below is a tasters choice.

https://www.toolbarn.com/brands/metabo/

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

Default angle grinder issue

The previous shop had metabos for a while. Still used metabos 6” for cut-off wheels. They are a nice machine, but they are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Boss started getting cheaper ones because stupid help can break expenses tools just as easy as cheap ones, and most workers do not give a shit about work tools.

I liked the metabos so much, I bought a used rebuilt one from eBay.

Couple years ago I bought 4 4 1/2” rigid grinders from Home Depot. They have held up to daily shop use for couple of years Til I took them home for my own use. They were a good buy for under $50 apiece regular price.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Boiler God

Quote:

I believe that most power tools companies, build some good tools and some not so good tools. Milwaukee builds good saws (sawzalls, chop and bandsaws), corded drills, some good cordless tools, but I’ve never been impressed with their grinders, either angle or bench types, which I have some of both. I’ve had a series of Milwaukee 18v cordless drill/drivers, that have been severely abused and have lasted better than any other brand.

I love the Metabo angle and die grinders (both corded and cordless), they are undoubtedly the best I’ve ever used, but their cordless drill, I bought, was next to worthless, I also hated their portaband saws, their palm sander was junk.

When it comes to angle grinders, I’ve tried the all, DeWalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita and some others, nothing has taken the demanding work load I’ve put on them, like a Metabo. I have about 30 angle grinders, between corded and cordless, ranging from 4” to 9”, of which it’s (2) 4” Makitas (new), a 4-1/2” and a 7” Milwaukee, and a 7”/9” Kawasaki grinder, the rest are all Metabos.

I’ve tried the Bosch angle grinders, not impressed, but their 3/8” 90 degree corded angle drill, is the best, I’ve ever owned.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Lord of the Minions

So with respect to different amperages being offered in side grinders would one assume that the higher the amps, the more output of the grinder could be expected when the wheel hits the work?

Or is it more the gearing and how it's manf'd?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So with respect to different amperages being offered in side grinders would one assume that the higher the amps, the more output of the grinder could be expected when the wheel hits the work?

Or is it more the gearing and how it's manf'd?
That seems to be the way it looks but!

I have two different grinders both sold by same company there is a five amp difference between the two of them one is 4" and other 4-1/2" and the lower amp grinder 4" seems to take more aggressive pressure while grinding
don't know what the difference in gear ratio is but the higher amp grinder starts to growl a bit more under stress but this is prolly a issue of both are cheap low budget grinders brands.
these are the ones if they brake it don't matter the grinder is the consumable
but then again they are both 9 yrs old too...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-