Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I would rather have Quality machinery regardless of brand or where it was made. You want to get away from screwed on chucks.
There is just something terrifying about watching 300 lbs of steel unscrewing itself from the spindle due to what would be a simple mistake on a cam lock machine.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
A South Bend last he has came across my travels.

It's a 16" swing but on risers....looks factory.
Has a taper attachment and 3&4 jaw chuck.

What are the trouble spots to look for?

Asking price is $2000

105" between centers.
First of all, I was rooting for the Dogs last night. I thought they had it until . . .

Lots of advice about the size of the lathe. Will you have the work for an 8 1\2 foot bed? Some consistent work around here for small jobbers is straightening bent hydraulic rams for farmers which this is a great size for. Might even get you work that others have to pass on because they don't have the machine to do the work. Just don't be surprised by a call at 2 in the morning during planting and harvesting seasons. Farmers aren't patient even though they have the job of watching plants grow.

Around here the price isn't out of line. Of course this is something where you're the one who knows. You live there. Is the price negotiable? The concerns brought up about the saddle or cross slide is reasonable. Might be worth tracking down a millwright or machinery repairman and paying them for a couple of hours of their time to take a look at the machine. Is the reason for selling actually what's being stated or is it something else? Some people will say anything with a "buyer beware" attitude.

For storage, I've seen machines sit outside under a tarp for years and work fine when put back in service. Just prepare and maintain for the elements.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

I think I shall pass on the South Bend Lathe. At least I came here and asked first.

Was interesting to come across that Craigslist add. That add tells me that for the money a more capable machine can be had.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Tim You get what you pay for when you buy equipment wisely.
What you need to do is make up a description of what features you want in a machine desired condition size ECT. Then go looking on E bay and equiptment dealer sites. Prety soon you will know what it should cost. If it is above your limit figure out what you can change to bring it into your price range ( that is usually size )
Something to remember The machine is just the tip of the iceberg tooling will end up costing more than the machine if you actually use it.
The larger the machine the more expensive tooling becomes. Also once yoiu pass 3/4 square shank size E bay and luck finds become just about none existent every thing comes from the high price suppliers. this is because you are out of the hobby shop size. You need to factor this into the overall picture.
This is not a cheap hobby and gets exponentially more expensive as the machine grows larger.

I turned down a 24 X 160 lathe as there is no need for such a beast where I am. the owner tried to cut tooling costs by using undrsized cutters fior the size and power of the machine He had an ice cream bucket full of bent tooling because the first indicator of overloading was total tool failure.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
The guy who is selling the South Bend had started restoring it and now has to be out of his building by the end of the month. Same guy I got the work benches and cabinets from.
IF you are willing to deal with moving the monstrosity, I think an offer around scrap value would be fair, depending on tooling included. What the scrap value is, I couldn't tell you. For a couple Benjis, it might be worth dropping off on your property and maybe using/restoring it later. Worst case scenario you call someone to come pick it up for what you paid for scrap... Can he sell it for more? Maybe, but you are a "repeat" customer and perhaps he just wants it gone. Don't seem too eager and make him a "last chance" lowball offer to get it gone for him in a week or two.

Quote:
Maybe I dream too big.
There is nothing wrong with dreaming big, you just need to learn to downsize your dreams occasionally.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...