Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 11-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Default fractures in metal

hello all, was re heating a fire striker to reconfigure it. after I had quenched it, I noticed that there were small hairline fractures on one side of the metal. any ideas as to what would cause this? the first time forging I didn't see any fractures. thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Standard of Excellence

Usually caused by overheat. Scrap it and start again.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Gold Star Dad

Overheat or too severe a quench (too cold or using water for an oil quench steel). Also forging at too low a temperature can cause problems. Sometimes reheating a hardened object too quickly can cause problems due to thermal stress.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks. got another question. have been using my channel lock pliers to hold the stock while pounding. a few times it slipped out. so now I'm in the market to buy a blacksmith tong. which one should I get and what size. I saw on one site they had 1/4 and 1/2 and the lengths varied from 12 inch to longer. plus, I saw flat tongs, wolf tongs, and tongs with v notches. which one would be the most versatile. I'm just a hobbyist. Thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Jennifer had some videos of forging some tongs. I always liked the idea of making your own tools.

As far as to what size, I guess it would depend on what material you work with mostly, and what you make. Maybe a set with some v-notches if you work with round stock, of course you could always file some notches in some flat ones to help hold the round stock.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Elite Member

"How to make Chain Makers Tongs"

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47687

This should take you to Jennifer’s chain making tong video post.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 11-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
Thanks. got another question. have been using my channel lock pliers to hold the stock while pounding. a few times it slipped out. so now I'm in the market to buy a blacksmith tong. which one should I get and what size. I saw on one site they had 1/4 and 1/2 and the lengths varied from 12 inch to longer. plus, I saw flat tongs, wolf tongs, and tongs with v notches. which one would be the most versatile. I'm just a hobbyist. Thanks
You will need more than one style. The flat jaws, the diamond style and the ones with round jaws. Each one is for steel that fits in each one. I have collected at least 20 pair so far and I still have not built the forge yet.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 11-26-2017, 02:54 PM
One Lone Sub

Where is Miss Jennifer?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:02 PM

great video, unfortunately I'm not at the stage where I can make a functioning tong. tried it using some rebar I had. spent a couple of days trying to get the jaws to match up, and decided to throw in the towel and buy the tongs.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Made From Scratch

The flat tongs would get you by to start, since you appear to be working with flat bar mostly. The sizes listed are the thickness of stock they are meant to hold. 1/2 for example, has a jaw opening of 1/2 inch when the handles are pinched together, so you wouldn't be able to pick up 5/16 with them. 1/4 inch tongs will pick up thin stuff and if you tweak the handles a little you could maybe even get by working with 3/8".

Eventually you will want more than one type. V bit tongs are good for square bar but won't be much use on flat bar. Pickup tongs might be good for making a hammer head or something large but won't be of much use for smaller stock.

For me, I like the length (reins) to be 12" to 14". That gets your hand back out of the heat, but isn't so long that the tongs are heavy and clumsy to use.

Here is a good selection of tongs to give you an idea of what's out there:
http://www.centaurforge.com/Tongs/departments/102/

I have made some very crude tongs and gotten by for a long time but I broke down and bought a pair of diamond brand 5/16 hot tongs off the farrier supply trailer at the last big horse show we were at and I have really liked how they are working out. I think now that I have a good pair in hand, I will have a better shot at making my own. Easier to copy something when you have it in hand.

Be careful buying tongs off ebay or craigslist of anything like that. I have seen a lot of pull offs and nippers (tools farriers use to trim horses feet) listed as blacksmithing tongs online. They won't help you at all unless you forge the ends into something useful. Make sure you know what style you are getting.