Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2017, 09:39 AM

The transformer is setup to step down, and unfortunately isn't 3p so you can't rewire it to feed the spindle motor. But the spindle motor can be wired to run off of 230v

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 12-27-2017, 07:42 PM

I disagree with you on the motor it's a single voltage 550 60/50 cycle, the oil pump is usually 220 1~, when (stole $300) I got mine all the electrics had been removed I got them all, so to run it in my shed (shop) I bought a 220V 1~ to 220V 3~ vfd to run the oil pump I just took a feed before the vfd and ran it to the pump when I turn the breaker on the pump runs it's a recirculating system so it will never run out of oil, it needs Vactra #1 the smallest quantity that I could buy was 5 gallons so I have a life time supply. I have canned some in empty Acetone tins that I emptied so I know there clean, if anyone goes to the Montreal Live Steamers I'll be there for there July 4th meet I will have some with me for $10 Canadian normally $8 American.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 PM

You're right. My phone ran all the pics together and I didn't catch the post break. The Bridgeport is multi voltage though.

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 01-02-2018, 05:59 AM

Did you actually use the grinder? I bought one in 86 from a used machinery dealer in Daytona, FL that looked great but was a boat anchor. The magnet was good though.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-fnk25-344150/
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
Did you actually use the grinder? I bought one in 86 from a used machinery dealer in Daytona, FL that looked great but was a boat anchor. The magnet was good though.

Curious why you thought it was a boat anchor.

Harig grinders, setup and used correctly, are among the best for precision work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Curious why you thought it was a boat anchor.

Harig grinders, setup and used correctly, are among the best for precision work.

I meant surface grinder and not a Harig. The one I picked up was a Cincinnati. The spindle was shot among other problems and repairs far exceeded the value of the machine. There was also time issues involved.

The biggest problem was I wasn't qualified at the time to buy the machine. Learning from mistakes is great but that didn't help at the time. Wouldn't consider buying a machine today without a full selection of necessary precision measuring tools.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:21 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

Interesting. Looks like a nice machine. I don’t need another mill after this one, but I may be doing a drive west in 6-8 weeks.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:35 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
I meant surface grinder and not a Harig. The one I picked up was a Cincinnati. The spindle was shot among other problems and repairs far exceeded the value of the machine. There was also time issues involved.

The biggest problem was I wasn't qualified at the time to buy the machine. Learning from mistakes is great but that didn't help at the time. Wouldn't consider buying a machine today without a full selection of necessary precision measuring tools.

Experience is a big asset for sure. When I went to look at these I took a few things but didn’t end up using anything other than a tape measure. Out of all the grinders I’ve used, I have likely used 25-30 different Harig grinders, so lots of time and experience on them.

Mills are fairly easy to check out, locking a table axis and moving the handles back and forth will show backlash. Visual inspection of the ways can give an idea of wear, in the case of Bridgeports for example the ‘scraping’ pattern will wear off in the more worn areas of the ways. On smaller machines it may be possible to try lifting the table and feel play.

Unless it was some of the machines from early on in my work days, I don’t recall ever using a Cinci surface grinder. I have used a couple mills, both were decent machines.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Experience is a big asset for sure. When I went to look at these I took a few things but didn’t end up using anything other than a tape measure. Out of all the grinders I’ve used, I have likely used 25-30 different Harig grinders, so lots of time and experience on them.

Mills are fairly easy to check out, locking a table axis and moving the handles back and forth will show backlash. Visual inspection of the ways can give an idea of wear, in the case of Bridgeports for example the ‘scraping’ pattern will wear off in the more worn areas of the ways. On smaller machines it may be possible to try lifting the table and feel play.

Unless it was some of the machines from early on in my work days, I don’t recall ever using a Cinci surface grinder. I have used a couple mills, both were decent machines.

I've bought a couple of surface grinders since and the most common problem I've seen is wear in the table. I've never come across a machine with the wear of that first Cincinnati.

Cincinnati has made almost everything. I had a Cincinnati knee mill that I preferred over a Bridgeport. A lot of people said they never knew about them also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CINCINNATI-...gAAOxyyF5RWxNc

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...b-a76a010c222a

http://www.mcspt.com/shop/CINCINNATI...TER_MILLS.html