Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Default angle grinder issue

I have a Black and Decker angle grinder that I have been using the past several months without any issues. today while using it to cut a piece of a upper control arm the long way., it started to sound funny, and smoke started coming out of it. I'm leaning towards the motor being burnt out. but could it be the bushings? are there special care issues that need to be apply to electrical tools near where you're welding and grinding. Thanks

Last edited by biker55; 12-19-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-19-2017, 11:42 AM
SFT Executive Chef

First thing I’d check is the brush length and contact
Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Good luck with it, I am having the same issues with my B&D grinder just to find out it is pretty much a throw away grinder if you have any problems with it. I couldn't find any brushes for mine. Too bad as the older B&D grinders seemed to be a lot better quality then the newer junk they sell.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
it started to sound funny, and smoke started coming out of it. I'm leaning towards the motor being burnt out. but could it be the bushings? are there special care issues that need to be apply to electrical tools near where you're welding and grinding. Thanks
Smoke usually means a burnt armature or burnt wiring; bearings, bushings and gears can often make a lot of noise without ever smoking. Depending on how much smoke escaped your grinder is probably toast (no pun intended ).

It's good practice to blow out electrical tools periodically with compressed air--reduces the buildup of dust and grit...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
I have a Black and Decker angle grinder that I have been using the past several months without any issues. today while using it to cut a piece of a upper control arm the long way., it started to sound funny, and smoke started coming out of it. I'm leaning towards the motor being burnt out. but could it be the bushings? are there special care issues that need to be apply to electrical tools near where you're welding and grinding. Thanks
I would say as smoking dodge said check the brushes and the armature
That's not to say it is totally trashed or not ...it really just depends on where the smoke rolled out from

I had tossed several grinders under the bench after a similar issue till on my last grinder happened to crap out on me so i got to tinkering with them all but one were savable brushes were burnt and armatures were scorched

so i have one of the specialized stones for cleaning the armature you can pick the stone up at your LWS fairly cheap, cleaned it and stuck new brushes in them all but one came back to life and am still using them.
but on two of the grinders the brushes were still good length wise so i just filed those flat and they worked and still same brushes in those grinders
and they were all various brands HF, Dewalt, Makita and Ryobi

in the end that was the more feasible cost to fix the grinders i had tossed under the bench.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-19-2017, 05:22 PM

" Too bad as the older B&D grinders seemed to be a lot better quality then the newer junk they sell."

How's your lawn doing?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 PM

older B&D use to be good tools then they became cheap economy tools over time

I'm not sure if i passed on a really fair deal on some old aluminum bodied B&D's a couple weeks ago guy had several contractor line worm saw 3/8'' and1/2'' drills and jig saws and a router he started out at brand new pricing on them figured in antique value combined but eventually cam down to a more realistic price of 350 for all of it. but even at 350 i just was not willing to drop that on them for a few reasons I've bought older tools work real good for a couple times and never work again and parts are to hard to find for some things.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
I'm not sure if i passed on a really fair deal on some old aluminum bodied B&D's a couple weeks ago guy had several contractor line worm saw 3/8'' and1/2'' drills and jig saws and a router he started out at brand new pricing on them figured in antique value combined but eventually cam down to a more realistic price of 350 for all of it. but even at 350 i just was not willing to drop that on them for a few reasons I've bought older tools work real good for a couple times and never work again and parts are to hard to find for some things.
I've taken apart a few alum. cased tools over the years and they all had shoddy wiring inside and not easily repairable. And keep in mind if the hot lead inside touches the case because of bad insulation, you will get a good zap. I've seen dozens of these go for cheap at auction. Maybe a little project to tinker with and get working but NOT anything I would use on a daily basis...

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I've taken apart a few alum. cased tools over the years and they all had shoddy wiring inside and not easily repairable. And keep in mind if the hot lead inside touches the case because of bad insulation, you will get a good zap. I've seen dozens of these go for cheap at auction. Maybe a little project to tinker with and get working but NOT anything I would use on a daily basis...
yep just didn't mention the hazards of the ole alum. body B&D many years ago when i was young an they were the tool of the times, I had a school project grabbed out my dads AB B&D Jig Saw got all set up and hit the switch blue spark with a pop an knocked the crap out of me. dad sent it in and got it fixed the darm thing is i still have that dang jig saw.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I was a fan of the metal cased tools for too many years. Tried plastic tools, , and they failed miserably for dumbass things like Makita with their plastic gears or Wolfe with their on off shuttle switch that seemed to turn on as soon as you set it down.. After I threw out my last one, Makita smartened up and went back to sintered iron.

At this point I will choose plastic housings. Grinders have come along way since the 70's.
I was shopping at the dump a couple years ago, and found this big old Black and Decker metal case 7 inch grinder. I was shocked at how weak I had become....or else that grinder could be used to drive fence posts, it is heavy enough.

Works perfectly, rpm is way lower then what we expect today, and I am sure it will outlast my lifetime. I don't have the heart yet to take it back to the dump, but I will never use it.
Anyone wants it can have it for free, send postage.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green