Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM

I had one of those big metal bodied grinders i believe it was a 7 inch used it like you said heavy as all get out act of congress just to pick it up
so it saw very little use while i had it but it did get used'

a buddy of mine who is half my age and much more fit for heavier tools
seen it a few time and one day said man why don't you use it more.. told him here if you like it and will use it take it its yours....well he took we went back to his place he set in in the garage, i think he's used it a time or two and set it back on the shelf last time i was there it had collected a bird nest built just under the disk of it in the corner an i laughed. and started teasing him about it and he said things to heavy for just doing some short grinding jobs
but ill use it when i have a big job where i need to do a lot of grinding... talk about ROLMAO!
with that as his idea of the weight of it i think when he does that big grinding job with it.... that's when he will find the trash can and that's where he will toss it next.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 AM
I can dig it

I have one of those big old grinders, it has about a 5" wire wheel on it. I'll use it now and again on clean up work. The weight makes it work well, ideal is have the piece flat and let it help take the weight.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Boiler God

between 4”, 4.5”, 4.5” flat head grinders and 6”, I’ve bought about 8 grinders in the last month, except for the one 4.5” Milwaukee, I got for $30, all of the other are Metabos.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
I've taken apart a few alum. cased tools over the years and they all had shoddy wiring inside and not easily repairable. And keep in mind if the hot lead inside touches the case because of bad insulation, you will get a good zap.
Reminds me of Sears tool ads in the 60's & 70's; for years they tagged all their composite cased, power hand tools as being "double insulated".
I supposed they really needed that extra safety factor too because most of them had only the old 2 pronged power plugs with no grounding lead.
For that matter, most of us lived in houses and worked in environments that were built without ground wires to the electrical outlets.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM

well, today took the thing apart and saw some carbon on the copper wiring between the bushings. the bushings still look good. took some emery cloth and electrical cleaner and cleaned it up. not smoking anymore, but it definitely makes more noise than it did before. will keep using it until it stops and will look into getting another grinder then. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Why wait that tool is telling you it is on the way out. Watch the sales and get a deal or pay the bigger bucks when it fails. It will not wait until the job is finished to quit so when it fails you will want another one right now.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 PM
The Real Deal

I have twelve 4.5" and three 9" grinders running, Only 3 that I bought new, the rest were ones that quit and thrown into I pile at work and I would take parts and pieces. At one time I had 20 gallons of grinders to go threw. Some of the running ones are over 15 years old. I remember when the small grinders first came and I thought that they were a joke, but was I wrong. Now my bigger grinders rarely see the light of day.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
well, today took the thing apart and saw some carbon on the copper wiring between the bushings. the bushings still look good. took some emery cloth and electrical cleaner and cleaned it up. not smoking anymore, but it definitely makes more noise than it did before. will keep using it until it stops and will look into getting another grinder then. Thanks for the replies.
Don't use it if you used Emory and electrical cleaner that method contaminates the armature.... in my last post i mentioned a special stone for cleaning the armature and it sounds like it is savable and if it has more blue sparks than normal cleaning with the proper cleaning stone will eliminate the excusive sparks and you may notice a less crackling noise. my pump went down on me today on my band saw same issue cleaned the armature and Walla its up and working good.

you can get the amateur cleaning stones at your LWS for about .99 cents to 1.50 and will last a few cleanings.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-21-2017, 08:01 AM
Elite Member

Interesting thread. I have laid more grinders to rest than I care to think about. They seem to be consumable.

I did dig out my old aluminum body B&D 1/2" drill the other day, Rustyjr and I were laying ceramic tile and we had to mix mortar. I even built an extra long handle for it, just for the task. Handled it like a champ. I'll put it back in the drawer until the next job that comes up where I need a giant beater drill that can flip a bus.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 12-21-2017, 05:10 PM

yesterday used it to try and finish what I had originally try to do with the grinder. the first few minutes it appeared to work ok until it started smoking again. buying a Dewalt grinder with 11 amps of power. plus the item description says that it somehow blows the dust out.