Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 12-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Dang 55.... That knife looks huge could be just the pic and my depth perception, but i seen that and think meat cleaver.....
but not bad for a first knife not bad at all
nope, it my be stubby, but I wouldn't call it big. the steel was what I found in my garage which is probably mild steel which is 1/8 inch thick. so I figure to make up for the deficiency of the steel I would just make the blade wider. after I get some wax on it I'll take it out to my back yard and try hacking at some wood to see how it holds up. here's a pic. of me holding the knife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0530.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	142733  
Old 12-26-2017, 09:53 AM

thanks for the responses. another question. when I initially start the grinder up, it makes a rough noise and I notice that the wheel doesn't spin true until the speed increases. is this normal? I've checked the fastener that holds the wheel in place and it's tight. Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Auction Addict

The wobble and noise is fairly normal. I have one that does and one that doesn't. As long as they run quiet at full speed your good. The real test is how long does it spin after you turn off the power. Longer the better, means good bearings.

“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.” Charles de Gaulle
Old 12-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Most average box store grinders come with the so so wheels on them
they are unbalanced and usually of poor quality so if your having that issue you might want to invest in some decent stones on their

Don't order/or buy them from HF as you will be putting the same thing back on it no matter the brand they carry..... some of the machinist guys on here can prolly give you a good idea of who's who on grinding stones that may best suit your needs.

the noise you hear seems to be normal for box store grinders ''The Wait For The Wind Up".... and will be the norm for all HF bench grinders if you have one of theirs but with better stones that are balanced ''The Wait For The Wind Up".... will become quite a bit smoother.

there are bench grinders out there that will just flip the switch an go much faster than others but they are a bit more demanding on the wallet and well worth their money.

then the home shop built grinders can be an advantage as well

but i believe you grinder issues at the moment is unbalanced stones

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker55 View Post
the steel was what I found in my garage which is probably mild steel which is 1/8 inch thick. .
I don't want to sound like a troll, but I have to inform you that your mild steel blade which is only 0.03% Carbon is not enough to promote hardness in any knife.

Certainly, you may be able to sharpen the blade to a slight degree but the blade requires hardness to hold the edge and cut. I don't claim to be a pro maker but have made 30 or so knives, so I have a reasonable idea of tooling and materials required.

As the other people have told you, the bench grinder is not suitable .It will do more harm than good to a blade that is suitably hardened.
Check out one of the blade forums, I am sure they can help with advice on diy materials and tools if you need to pursue your diy knife making.

Best Wishes
Ozwelder
Old 12-27-2017, 04:38 AM

Norton has good wheels at a reasonable price. Just a suggestion but for the final edge try super or ultra fine emery cloth taped to a sheet of glass. I was taught this for wood chisels and planes. Works for knives and I've never found anything better. I haven't had success with narrow wheels or stones. For razor blade sharpness, finish with leather.