Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Jen, I was in the garage this past weekend and thought of you............

The door on the North wall of my garage came out of my Grandmothers house that was built in 1875. The lock and knob set on it is attached to the outside and not mortised into.

The lock mechanism is rectangular about 4"x3"x 3/4" thick using a skeleton key. I have two of these lock sets with the original metal knobs.

While these lock sets are unique, this is not what is amazing. The strap hinges, I have six sets that use 1/4" bolts and square nuts to attach to the door, the uniqueness of the bolts is that the nuts will only thread well/easily onto it's mating bolt. None of the bolts threads are the same. Each being somewhat specific to the nut.

This seems to point me in the direction of them being hand forged and hand threaded without the use of dies for threading.

I've got an old Rolling Block rifle that has several fitment screws and bolts etc that will not thread willy nilly which I've read telling me that they were hand made and threads filed to fit.

Sorry for the ramblings of a hoarder of old iron.

Keep up the good fight. What we do in our lifetimes today is important lest the world forget our past accomplishments.
It's pretty amazing what they did by hand.. I know someone can say they did what they could with the equipment they had..

Well the neat thing is.. A lot of the items were finished to the 9's and if that's what they did by hand.. What happened between then and now.. with technology we should have stuff finished and long lasting like no other time..

It definitely sounds like you have hand made nuts and bolts.. Very neat indeed.. It means either 1 of 2 things on the hardware.. They are really, really old.. Or the guys who made them was old school craftsman and just did as he had done for nearly all his life.. Either way it's very neat..

I once had to make small screws for a black power shotgun with double triggers.. It was tough making the screws.. The heads were cold forged and they set into a beveled assembly.. Anyhow was a fun project..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
You had to bring up shovels.

To a Farmer that has Rice fields, a good worthy shovel is akin to a good coat or good boots in the winter times. You cannot do without it.

I can guarantee that there is a market for a quality Shovel. Something that will actually dig and not bend.
What do you figure a very well made shovel could sell for?

The Razorback shovel I have is pretty heavy duty..

http://www.razor-back.com/tool/diggi...-point-shovel/

AJ, this type of shovel I used to call a spade.. as it looks like a spade on a playing card..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Lord of the Minions

Jen, not to slight the RazonBack shovel, but it is no where near the duty of what I am referring to.

I'm headed out to the farm right now to check on, pick up, put away and save what might blow away with the storms coming. I will have my camera and will take pics of the 3 good shovels I still have.

One of the major problems with rifles and pistols of age due to no particular absolute std on how the parts were made. They all may look the same, but each was finished to fit a particular gun. Nothing would interchange until much later into the techno renaissance of the machine tool era.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
What do you figure a very well made shovel could sell for?
Now all should understand that to a Rice Farmer, his shovel, is his one go to piece of technology he cannot do without.

Show me a Rice Farmer that does not have his shovel with him at all times in the field and I'll show you a farmer that's lazy and/or has someone hired to do it for him.

A shiny well smoothed shovel due to daily use and cleaning is a thing of pride.

Personally, if I had to have another for levee work, I'd be willing to pay a $100 bucks to a little more.

Like I always hear, you get what you pay for.

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
AJ, this type of shovel I used to call a spade.. as it looks like a spade on a playing card..
Here we call that a shovel and this....

http://www.razor-back.com/tool/shove...l-steel-spade/

is a spade. My favourite spade for hard ground or clay is a narrow trenching spade. Can dig a post hole pretty fast with that breaking it up and a narrow shovel to get it out. For moving gravel, sand etc or 'easy' digging I likes a full size shovel that will move a good bit in one go. I love the 'foot pads'. Never see them here.

Those razorbacks look pretty good. They look a lot more solidly built than the stuff I see. They have a good selection of most stuff. The fork range is good. I have a hell of a job finding a well made 3 tine hay fork. I found one with a busted handle some years back and got 2 new 6 foot hickory handles from a bloke who imports the timber and makes handles of all kinds. Cant buy a 6 foot hay fork handle here from the shop.....just cant. A hay fork with a 5 foot handle is damn near useless and a real pain to use.

Must have taken over an hour to fit the handle right but it wont ever come off. One of my favourite tools and goes very well with the scythe.
Everything depends on how you look at it.

Doug Wood

Approach stressful situations as though you were a dog......
If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've been to the farm twice since the last post, due to weather here I've not had time to take pics of the shovels, but I will.

Hopefully I can figure out how to post pics on my cell. sigh

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
I've been to the farm twice since the last post, due to weather here I've not had time to take pics of the shovels, but I will.

Hopefully I can figure out how to post pics on my cell. sigh
No problem.. I'll be around..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"