Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-05-2017, 05:53 AM

Default Made a set of small jaws to fit a wood lathe

I bought a small Vicmark VL120 wood lathe chuck to fit a Vicmark VL300 lathe that I am working on, the chuck came with a standard set of jaws which close up to approx., 50mm diameter.

So I wanted a smaller set which would grab smaller pieces of wood. Got a piece of 1040 or 1041 round and machined it down to shape to fit inside the existing jaw set. The internal jaws of the standard set are angled about 10 degrees so machined the out side with that angle to help grip these and then drilled out a 6mm hole to fit a longer screw to hold them in place and then drilled a 13mm hole about 17mm off the bottom. That way I could use a shorter screw.

Not sure of the exact number of the steel but it sure was tough, ended up using solid tungsten carbide drills. I must have resharpened my standard drill bits about 8 times before that. Should have stuck to plain old mild steel as I probably have dulled my band saw blade.

Took a while to cut it up on the band-saw into quarters and fitted it to the chuck, it will close down to 17mm and it will open up quite wide but then the radius changes the wider it opens up and the edges really dig in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. Jaws on side.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	141395   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Jaws bottom.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	141396   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. Jaws  top.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	141397   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. bandsawing jaws.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	141398   Click image for larger version

Name:	5. Compleated fitted Jaws slightly open.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	141399  

-----------------------------------------
Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 Wirefeeder
G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256

Recipient of the Finger Award™... twice
Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
I bought a small Vicmark VL120 wood lathe chuck to fit a Vicmark VL300 lathe that I am working on, the chuck came with a standard set of jaws which close up to approx., 50mm diameter.

Took a while to cut it up on the band-saw into quarters and fitted it to the chuck, it will close down to 17mm and it will open up quite wide but then the radius changes the wider it opens up and the edges really dig in.
That looks good, Ed.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I wonder if boring it out in the center is the best idea. What happens if you want to chuck up small stock that isn't round, such as maybe a 10 or 15mm square?

2. And does this finally answer the age-old question, "how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood"?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Hi Cutter, for what I do it won't be an issue, I won't be turning anything that small, if it is a larger square piece of timber I can just open it up and the corners of the timber will fit between the corners of the jaws, once it is gripped at the chuck end and a live center put in the other end, it will spin and I can easily make it round near where it goes into the chuck, then remove it and cut the square end off, then fit the turned round end back into the small chuck jaws.

Probably for something like a 10mm or 15mm square timber such as for making pens it should probably be used on a much smaller lathe, this one is quite a bit of overkill.

I originally wanted a medium sized wood lathe just to do smaller jobs around the house, my big wood lathe I made a few years ago has been converted to a drum sander which I made an attachment for it, due to my medical conditions at the time I was unable to manhandle large tree trunks but a drum sander was more useful for me than a huge wood lathe, and so I wanted something not quite so big, as smaller jobs keep cropping up.

For example, recently I made a toilet roll holder for our spare toilet, for holding about 5 extra toilet rolls as we don't have any cupboards in that toilet. One of my daughters came over and wanted a smaller version to hold the kitchen paper towel roll, so I made her one on the metal lathe. Then another daughter saw that and the toilet roll holder so naturally, she said she wanted one of each. So these sort of jobs keep popping up and I don't like having to clean the metal lathe thoroughly every time I use wood on it.

But I don't have any desire to make pens or anything that requires a small piece of timber. Usually my minimum wood size will be about 30ml. which probably starts off as about 40ml square.

My last daughter and her husband are traveling interstate to spend a week with us at X'Mas so no doubt I had better be organized to do some quick turning.

Cheers

Ed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Roll holder.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	141400  

-----------------------------------------
Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 Wirefeeder
G6240B1 Gap bed lathe
16 speed pedestal drill
16Ft3 air compressor
Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw
Everlast Powerpro 256

Recipient of the Finger Award™... twice
Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

The plunger in the shop does double duty for that need.
I can't do that in the house though.

Isn't nice to be needed?