Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Default Pipe wrap tool

A little direction help here.

I am not going into the pipe fabricating business full time. However I do have a pipe wrap and use it for marking pipes to cut straight around it, for basic fab stuff. The smaller ones I do in the saw. I cut off an 8 inch piece today for a bollard, scale indicator mount. I used the pipe wrap to make the line to follow to cut the end off with the plasma.

There is a lot of information and tools on this thing. I guess it is the first time I have ever had it all stretched out like that, to notice all the stuff on it.

I googled pipe wrap tutorial and got a bunch of stuff on some kind of software.

Ok, I have led you on long enough, Would someone be so kind as to point me to a pipe wrap for dummies type of information that I may read at my leisure?

I do not know what else I want to do with it, I just want to know what it is telling me and with pictures as well, if possible.

Thank you,

Scott
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Over the Top

Scott,
I'll leave this one to a pipefitter. I do know that with a little knowledge and experience you can do a lot more with a pipe wrap than just layout a perpendicular line for a straight cut.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Scott, a Wrap-A-Round is a little tough to get the hang of at first.
I know this is obvious but the first step is to mark the length you need.
The second step is to position the wrap around, you drape the wrap around over the pipe with the tongue (free end) pointing towards you a little away from the mark.
Place your non-dominate hand in position to keep it from moving. Use your dominate hand to wrap the rolled end end under the pipe, up and over the tongue, loosely.
Lay the rolled end over the tongue, then take some of the slack out of it while you are aligning the edges and the mark.
Finish tightening the wrap around while keeping one edge on the mark.
The edges of the wrap around should be even when it is straight on the pipe.
The overlap of the wrap around depends on the size of the pipe but you do need overlap. Around a quarter of the pipe is about the minimum for overlap.
Do not crease the wrap around while using it, they break off once creased.
It gets easier to use the wrap around with practice.
I will have to get help to take pictures of the process as you need both hands to install it correctly.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Boiler God

I don't remember ever owning a newer one, one where writing on it would still be visible.

jack
Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
Scott, a Wrap-A-Round is a little tough to get the hang of at first.
I know this is obvious but the first step is to mark the length you need.
The second step is to position the wrap around, you drape the wrap around over the pipe with the tongue (free end) pointing towards you a little away from the mark.
Place your non-dominate hand in position to keep it from moving. Use your dominate hand to wrap the rolled end end under the pipe, up and over the tongue, loosely.
Lay the rolled end over the tongue, then take some of the slack out of it while you are aligning the edges and the mark.
Finish tightening the wrap around while keeping one edge on the mark.
The edges of the wrap around should be even when it is straight on the pipe.
The overlap of the wrap around depends on the size of the pipe but you do need overlap. Around a quarter of the pipe is about the minimum for overlap.
Do not crease the wrap around while using it, they break off once creased.
It gets easier to use the wrap around with practice.
I will have to get help to take pictures of the process as you need both hands to install it correctly.
Dan.
Thanks Dan, I got the straight marking part, That is an excellently written description. I did notice these come in several different lengths for different diameter pipes.

I see there are marks for sectioning off the pipe for certain projects and a protractor type of thing as well. I figured the sectioning off ruler would be used when the wrap is applied to the pipe as you describe. However the protractor is a bit too much for my feeble mind. I did see a guy use a thing called a curve o mark or some such name. This man had much talent with the building of all things pipe related. He like to use it and we only ever bought straight tubes and pipes. He made all manner of fitments. I only had the honor of working with Him about 6 months.

It is a tool. I am just wanting to learn its capabilities to see if I have a tool for situations I may not realize I have a tool for type of thing. Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks again.

Scott
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I don't remember ever owning a newer one, one where writing on it would still be visible.

jack
Thanks for the input Jack,

I had to quote this.

I probably have had this for 4 or 5 years. It even lives in it's own spot in the tool box. Complete with not only words and markings, round cardboard tube with lid and rubber band to hold it in said tube. It lives a very sheltered life and I ain't skeered to let it be so.

Glad you are feeling much better and wish you much more improved health.

Scott
Old 11-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Scott, the different sized ones are for different diameter pipe, the narrower they are the smaller the pipe they fit.
I need to order a 2-1/2" wide one as I have a project coming up that will be mitering some 2" and 2-1/2" pipe.
Too wide a wrap around on small diameter pipe is hard on the wrap around.
Tips and tricks.
The line produced is only as straight as the surface is smooth. In other words remove all the dirt clumps, rust blossom's, and other stuff that stands proud of the surface.
Keep the Wrap-A-Round in a box or tube to prevent it getting crushed, a flattened wrap around with a bunch of creases in it does not work real well.
Do not allow oil to soak into the wrap around, some oils soften the material causing it to deteriorate.
Mud and dirt seems to dry the material out making it brittle.
Practice makes perfect, I had an apprentice practice on a piece of six inch pipe every day for week to get the feel of doing it right while I was welding.
Mark your line so that when you start cutting it you can follow the line without having to guess which side of the line you want to cut on. I mark most of my lines with soapstone for O/A cutting, a Silver Sharpie for Plasma and Port-a-Band cutting. The Silver Sharpie really makes the line pop under the light from the Plasma Torch.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Over the Top

Scott,
Here is a link to a plumber and fitter book.
(google books) might have some of the information you are looking for.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

I think what hes saying, or asking is can you do anything else with it. Besides just mark a strait line. And I don't know of any other uses. All the other crap printed is just quick reference tables as far as I know.

Last edited by RogueWelder; 11-30-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Scott & RW, the Wrap Around is used when laying out many of the cuts needed in pipefitting, the base of a fish mouth is a straight line around the circumference of the pipe. You can lay it out with just one line but I have better luck using two lines
When laying out multiple branch circuits on the same length of pipe the wrap around serves as a very long straight edge.
I need to purchase one of these Contour Center Punch . It is handy to have when "quartering" pipe, meaning marking four lines, at 90 degrees, on a piece of pipe.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank