Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-25-2005, 01:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to NavyGuy
Talking I'M STOKED....My first TIG welds!!!

Howdy y'all....I had my first "real" TIG lesson today at the welding shop I work at and wanted to see what you guys think of these. The owner of the shop gave me a 30 min lesson and then turned me loose to weld up some fittings on a pneumatic chamber that goes in a new tool that we are fabricating. The pics below are actually my second attempt....on the first one I got crazy with the pedal and blew thur the side of one of the tubes! These welds have to be air tight to hold the pressure...I'll find out tomorrow if any of the 15 I did leaks. So do me a favor...look at the pics and tell me if ya see anything wrong...TEAR'EM UP GUYS...thats the way I learn...btw I already know that I need to work on my "stops"...I keep gettin a bump of metal when I finish the weld and break the arc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The first pic is of 3 of the air chamber tubes...hopefully no leaks!!

Thanks y'all,
Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tig Weld 1.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	6027  

"Failure is NOT an option"

"If you do not want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!"
Old 08-25-2005, 01:09 PM

Here is a second close up up pic of one of the welds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIG Weld 2.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	6028  

"If you do not want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them!"
Old 08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
A Man for All Reasons

Very nice!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Three things I'll mention

First is good job on first starting out in the Tig way. The second is with a foot pedal I always backed off the amps just as I was starting the overlap and walked the puddle off to the side of the bead, as we called it "tailing off". I think I see alittle undercut in the second photo, but my eyes are shot so I'm not sure. Were you using a back purge? The reason I ask is the weld may not leak and look good but on certain jobs sugar is a no-no.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Pit Boss

I'm not a TIG welder/or, but I can't tell if its the pictures or are the welds convex? It may be the picture, but are you just doing fusion welds or are you using filler rod? Looks like you have a nice steady hand either way.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Still on Ritalin

Send a message via Yahoo to texrednek

Rod, you mentioned a bump at the end. Cant see it to well, but id think its porosity. I think you may be bringing your torch up too fast at the end of your weld. Argon is light so when you finish your weld hold your torch there lil longer and just pull the pedal all the way back. Tell me if this does change things. lookin good friend though. A fine tig welder youll become
Chris
Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes girls, he's single!

I see your first mistake. You forgot to take a picture of the beer bottle next to the weld
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 08-25-2005, 06:15 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Rod I'm not a tigger yet either but from what I can see it looks like three stacks of dimes in circles too me for the most part did see the bumps you were talking about in the first pic and am thinking maybe back off on the peddle at the end and let the gas purge a second before pulling off .I do think for a fist time though they look awesome DUUUUUDE .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 08-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Lord of the Reins

Thumbs up

Nice work Rod! You caught on fast! As fatfrank said, it sure looks like you have a steady hand. Maybe we should call you "slowhand"!

I see the little bump you are talking about. Well at least that looks better than the wormholes I was getting! Fixed that by letting off much slower on the pedal.

Okay, here's the only advice I've qualified to give. Since you've been arc welding and grinding a lot now you're probably pretty used to look'in through cruddy window glass. Replace your clear cover plates and get rid on all those scratches and smoke stain. It's like going from a black and white to Cinemax, LOL!

Don'tcha just luuuv TIG, Rod?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrednek
Argon is light so when you finish your weld hold your torch there lil longer and just pull the pedal all the way back. Tell me if this does change things. lookin good friend though. A fine tig welder youll become
Chris
Howdy Chris...thanks fer the advice..and the complement..you know I'll try and give it hell!! I'll try to pull the pedal all the way back and let the gas flow fer a couple of seconds before I lift the torch when I try it again tomorrow.

Thanks again Buddy,
Rod