Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

Default three small projects I finished.

The cart is for my brass cleaning equipment, now all I have to do is wheel it out and wheel it back. The equipment doesn't need to be moved to a table anymore.

The dolley is made from 2X3X1/8 salvaged tube, it's 16" wide and 32" long. Wheels are 3" 330 lb HF, I repainted it rustoleum silver speckle, that ugly blue wouldn't dry for some reason.

The stand is for a 250 lb floor safe I keep my pistols and ammo in, it's to low so I built the stand to raise it.

Right now I'm waiting for the leaves to fall from the trees so I can get started on fall clean up and tree pruning.... fall this year looks like it's gonna be at least two weeks late, the leaves still look beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cart 1.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	6703   Click image for larger version

Name:	cart.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	6704   Click image for larger version

Name:	cart3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	6705   Click image for larger version

Name:	cart 2.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	6706   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	6707  

Old 10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Elite Member

dolley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolley.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	6708  
Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Lord of the Reins

Good work! I didn't understand what you used brass cleaning equipment before until you mentioned pistols. D'uh! Been way too long since I've done any reloading.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Elite Member

Thanks houlibar. Yeah reloading is fun, I get a kick out of it. I guess I can say pun intended.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Curmudgeon

Nice work, tackit - as always.
Say, do you always have your maid clean the shop just before you take pictures? Or do you only take pictures on the 2 days a week, right after she finishes?

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Big Shovel

I agree with cutter. Takit must have some wierd cleaning disorder. and I didn't see any rough torch cuts on the carts and what's with all the shiny paint??

I think good therapy for you my friend would be to come up here to my shop and work on that disorder of yours. a day in my messy shop will cure you of any impulse to clean.

Just Joking

Very good looking work. If only I could be a fraction of that clean. (you might notice half of my handle is "dirt")
Old 10-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Elite Member

Thanks cutter and dirtdigger. You guys are crackin' me up !

It's just that I need to roll about the shop on a stool, a lot of dirt on the floor would make it hard to navigate around the place.

But I do like it clean, as soon as I finish a step in a project I do a fast clean up and re-straighten the tools for the next leg of the project, it seems really easy and fast to me.

Also every night without fail I blow the shop out with a 180 mph leaf blower so the next day I walk into a fresh shop with all the tools where they're supposed to be, a clean floor and clean welding table, really "it's a good thing" hehehe
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Curmudgeon

2 stories come to mind:

1. There is a motorcycle wrecking yard just a couple of miles from my house, run by a guy called Wild Bill that always makes me grin. One time many years ago, I commented on the the hopeless condition of his workbench. He gave me the evil eye & said, "That is not a WORK bench - it is a TOOL bench. There is a difference."
By the way, he buys wrecked motorcycles very cheap & sells the salvaged parts for about 1/3 - 1/2 of list price; his card says "we screw the other guy & pass the savings on to you".

2. I used to have a neighbor down the street named Trent, a fine little fabricator of all sorts of things and a handy fellow to know for all sorts of reasons. One winter, we built a logsplitter and a trailer in his garage. He goes to work early so we quit early but even if we worked later than usual, we cleaned up the mess and swept the floor every night. I was happy to do my part. By contrast, I finished the next-to-last gate on my new fence last week & started the last one Saturday about noon. I began by sweeping up the previous week's mess. But I did some plasma cutting both days & swept up the dross after each session (can't stand to walk on it); well, I can't really say I swept it up because it is still in a neat little pile under the cutting grate. But it is all in one little spot. I don't wear out a lot of brooms.

hmmm, a leafblower .... never considered that. I have a gas one that I found last spring that needs a carburator kit & a muffler but I got my electric one down off its hook today for the first time in 3 or 4 years. I used it to blow a clog out of a guy's clothes dryer vent. I guess I should try it in the shop.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Elite Member

Both good stories cutter.

The blower cleans better and faster than a broom IMO, you develop a knack for bouncing air off walls and around and under things you don't move, it's satisfying seeing the dirt and dust go shooting out the door.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Nice job tackit,I've been using a leaf blower for years to sweep.I just can't get it to blow out all the leftover steel.....