Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Default Sure ain't Cutter's Vise...

A few months back my mom was handling a garage/estate sale with one of my aunts. Instead of taking any sort of payment for helping, she just picked up a few things she liked--and got all the leftovers to sell in her little antique booth to split the cost. Ain't nobody getting rich off the deal, but I ended up with a project.

I've long told her to be on the lookout for anything Wilton. Mostly because that's what Cutter uses and it's easy to remember--and I've already got a few of them. I sure don't need more vises but they're kinda fun so why not.

Anyhow, she drug home this pitiful looking Wilton 645 bench vise. It's had a hard life and has had a couple paint jobs. At some point the 'swivel' feature was lost due to a broken casting in the foot, which had been repaired with a braze job and then the rest welded into place so you couldn't break it again. About the only thing good was that it actually moved in and out freely. Sorta.

It was covered in rust and farm grease, the jaws were mis-matched and one was hacked out of a piece of steel bar with two different screws holding it in. The other was just hacked, a lot. Pretty sure the whole thing was used to hold a 2x4 when a circular saw was running nearby. Honestly, I didn't have much use for it...until I found a use.

On my holster making gear, I've been bolting one of my foam presses down to my large shop table. Then I have to cover the bolts back up with a piece of foam, hot glued to the press. Every time I needed the table, I had to undo the rig and cut a new piece of foam. That chit is expensive at $20/sq ft. and cutting a 1.5" strip off the side can only go so far. I finally figured out that the jaws of the new vise would open wide enough to hold it in place.

The small vise was sourced locally--through SFT--many moons ago. I remember who I got it from and I'm eternally grateful. It is one of the most used tools out there, as it's just perfect for everything. It can't hold big stuff, but it holds a helluva lot of little stuff. It's been used on every one of the plastic worm injectors (over 3000 of them), and at least two parts would have been more difficult without it. It has been bolted down to a 2x12 block which was then clamped down to the corner of my big table. Simple enough to undo the clamps and remove it, but most times I've just worked around it.

In any case, I decided I needed to mount one of those trailer hitch receivers up under the bench (because it's always looked like a cool worktop addition). And then I fabbed up a little mount to hold both vises. The large vise looked like crap, and I figured I couldn't do it any harm, so I threw it in the new-to-me sandblaster cabinet and cleaned it all up. Then it got a heavy coat of cheap rattlecan paint that sorta matches my other big Wilton vise. I cut out a couple of new jaws from an aluminum bar and then put it all back together.

I don't know how many words the above was--but looking at the two pictures below tells ya pretty much all of it. Was it necessary to write all this? Probably not. It wasn't necessary to mount two vises on a hitch so it'd flip either, but I did it because I wanted to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flipped1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	141044   Click image for larger version

Name:	flipped2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	141045  

www.nfpd.us
Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Da Chief

I have to report a MAJOR clean shop foul. There is clean flat surface on the bottom, no tanglefoot, trip hazard's or slippery spots. In the background, there is a surplus of clean flat un cluttered bench space...

This must not be allowed to continue. the shopmaster is hearby directed to drag in copious quantities of stuff and stack loosly to create the required 2 foot movement aisles.

Oh yea, great job on the double vice, I cobbeled up something similar for the receiver on my work truck. 4 inch, like yours and a pipe vise!

Alright then, I'll go back under my rock again.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 09-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Looks like a nice score Dubby.
I have a Record 4" vise that I don't need, but I rescued from the scrap anyway, and it needs a set of jaws. It is missing one so was thrown out.
I'm thinking of machining one.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:17 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

I must admit I have trouble envisioning the reason, but I enjoyed reading it, and if it works, IT WORKS!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
I have to report a MAJOR clean shop foul. There is clean flat surface on the bottom, no tanglefoot, trip hazard's or slippery spots. In the background, there is a surplus of clean flat un cluttered bench space...

This must not be allowed to continue. the shopmaster is hearby directed to drag in copious quantities of stuff and stack loosly to create the required 2 foot movement aisles.

Oh yea, great job on the double vice, I cobbeled up something similar for the receiver on my work truck. 4 inch, like yours and a pipe vise!

Alright then, I'll go back under my rock again.

RED

I'll second what Red said! Lol.

Nice job. I have been collecting various vices for a while, now you are making me think about mounting them the same way, and then make up several receivers to mount in various places so I can have flexibility, depending on where I want to work that given day.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I have to report a MAJOR clean shop foul...
I'm more than making up for it.

I've actually broken ground on my addition. The block wall guy has been here last couple days. The back yard wall has been raised and repaired, and the gate opening has been widened, much lowering the pucker factor when backing in a trailer behind the dually.

Next is the concrete for the sliding gate that I can build while waiting for an opener to get here when I find one I want.

I've already got a Bobcat lined up to level the yard to where........

The shop addition is going on the back of the existing garage/shop. I'm looking to add at least 500 square feet, with a roll up door in the back that has access to the newly widened gate and lowered yard.

My buddy with the Bobcat used to be the county plans guy and knows what I can do and how. He says I can get much more square footage by adding on rather than a stand-alone steel building. I guess that makes adding the sink and urinal easy since they can go against the existing laundry wall. Gee, I guess I should start a thread now that work has commenced after years of talking about it. It's amazing what I can afford to do around here once I decided I had enough guns...

Last edited by MAC702; 09-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Funny, that's the first thing I thought of, too... Everybody has a vise, nobody has a shop floor that clean...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Curmudgeon

I didn't notice the floor at all when I first saw these pictures but I'm not really sure my shop even has a floor any more. It has a path here & there but most of the floor, if it is still there, has something on it, over it or in my way if I wanted to go there.

What I did notice that bothered me was that each vise has only 2 bolts holding it to the plate, leaving 2 empty bolt holes on each of them. The plate appears to not even have bolt holes drilled through it to accept the missing bolts.

I think this is bad form even if neither vise really needs to be held down on all 4 feet and even though the mounting plate is too thin to be structurally sound under very much stress. While this may be just fine for the intended uses of them I have to think of the psychological impact it must have on the poor little rescued vises.
I can imagine them discussing it in soft whispering voices at night when the shop is dark and empty and they have only each other to cling to:

Quote:
"He doesn't really care about us, you know. Oh sure, he threw a little paint on me and he even took pictures to show his buddies but you know they must be laughing at us."

"Yeah, They know he doesn't really trust us to do anything important or he wouldn't have left our holes empty and exposed."

"I feel so naked."

"I can barely feel my feet! Two of them hurt like hell and the other two are kind of numb, like they don't really exist."

"I feel like I'm falling!"

"I know what you mean. But at least you have a clean floor to catch you, I guess."

"Ha! That damned floor. He cares more about it than he cares about us."

"He didn't even drill holes in our plates for the other two bolts. I mean, that would at least have given me hope that he might have honorable intentions to someday finish making me secure. But noooooooo, it's just going to be like this forever."

"Where did he get these cheap-assed bolts, Sutherlands? They're only grade 3, you know."

"And galvanized! Dipped in gaudy Chinese zinc, that's all they are."

"Mine don't even have washers under their heads. Makes me feel so cheap, the way they're touching me!"

"Sigh. We don't even have names. Do you think he can tell us apart?"

"Why would he care?"

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:10 PM

That's the most entertaining chastisement I've ever read.

I noticed the two bolts thing immediately. My next thought was: "I'm sure he knows more than me if it makes a difference!"
Old 09-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

The first hing i thought of was with my bad shoulders i would need a gantry crane above it to rotate it.
BUT! i did see the clean floor and the clean table,well done Dubby!