Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 PM

Talking

Dubby,
Aren't you happy that you've helped him get to the point where he can share those thoughts w/you.? (we sure are!) I think MAC hit the nail write on the head. LOL Tom
Old 09-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Ha!!! I'm getting good at this photo taking thing. Got you guys fooled that I actually have a floor and a clean table--at the same time!!! Perspective is everything.

I got nothing on the two bolts thing, particularly because adding it would prove that I screwed up when drilling the holes for them and was too lazy to fix it. What surprises me most is that Cutter knew where I bought the bolts from, it's like some sort of psychic-vise whispering stuff he's got going. The large vise also needed some shimming to take some of the slop out. Sutherlands usually has a decent selection of oddball hardware, but they didn't have a 3/4" ID, 1.0" OD bushing. I splurged and bought a grade 8 washer and turned the OD down to fit. The other bolts I only picked up because I was there. Convenience has a price tag. Gebo's is by far the best buy in town for standard single hardware.

The necessity for having them both in the same location is pretty simple. I need the larger capacity there at times and it also allows me a level of stupidity/abuse. I don't have to worry about tearing up my prized little vise, and the big one will hold a 2x4 on the flat. Hefting it around isn't that bad so long as I never let it hit the floor. I can handle the weight at stomach height but there's no way I could bend over and retrieve it. Even the large vise by itself it too much for me to try that, so I lost the option of just swapping out the little with the big when needed.

www.nfpd.us
Old 09-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Elite Member

Default Sure ain't Cutter's Vise...

Dubby, here is an idea. You might be able to tweak it, but get a piece of 1 1/2" pipe or some 2" od tube. Weld on a piece on the end of the 2" receiver tube, so when you pull the vices out to turn over, the pipe will support the weight so you can rotate the vices to the correct orientation and then slide back in to lock it. Would ease the lifting of the entire weight of the vices.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Dubby, here is an idea. You might be able to tweak it, but get a piece of 1 1/2" pipe or some 2" od tube. Weld on a piece on the end of the 2" receiver tube, so when you pull the vices out to turn over, the pipe will support the weight so you can rotate the vices to the correct orientation and then slide back in to lock it. Would ease the lifting of the entire weight of the vices.
That is a splendid idea!!! Thank you! I'll have to dig through the pile and see what I've got or can make to work. I can sort of cheat it now, letting the end fall down onto my little shelf, but there's not much room to actually turn it over. Even though it's only a 1" drop to the top of that shelf, the less I have to lift the better!

After another long weekend at the range, I am headed to the shop to whip up some holsters. Mostly personal use for an upcoming trip to H-Town. It's been a while since I've done a holster thread--might be time for that today.

www.nfpd.us
Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
What I did notice that bothered me was that each vise has only 2 bolts holding it to the plate, leaving 2 empty bolt holes on each of them.
Cutter ,
Along those lines, what really pees me off is to watch a U tube video where some hack is performing an operation on a component ( hack sawing or filing ) in a rocking bench vice. In these cases the vice is rocking back and forth on the bench mount because it is not stoutly mounted to the bench or bench itself is flimsy.

It just screams a half hearted approach to any vice operation. Call me a grumpy old curmudgeon if you will, but I see very little point in mounting a vice on a bench under those conditions.

A question about The big Wilton Vices like Cutter has. Are they made from cast steel or cast iron. I have a Russian made 5" vice of cast steel .It is nice to use but lacks overhang of the bench edge.I have never seen a Wilton in Australia so I have never been really able to compare.

Last edited by OZWELDER; 09-29-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:28 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZWELDER View Post

A question about The big Wilton Vices like Cutter has. Are they made from cast steel or cast iron. I have a Russian made 5" vice of cast steel .It is nice to use but lacks overhang of the bench edge.I have never seen a Wilton in Australia so I have never been really able to compare.
Well Grahame, I was just joking around with dubby. For his purposes two bolts will work just fine.

While I can't say about other Wilton's, my old vise is cast steel but it was made in 1945.
Today's Wilton's except for the classic "bullet" vises are nearly all made in China or India and they are mostly, if not all, cast iron.
There may some exceptions but the market dictates the quality and today's market is what it is.
The biggest and supposedly the bestest Wilton vise I saw in their catalog in 2012 was an 8 inch classic priced at $3800. There wouldn't be many shops or individuals or hobbyists willing or able to pay for "Made in USA", cast steel vises at today's wages.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Default Sure ain't Cutter's Vise...

For all you guys and gals that have vices, have you spoken to your religious advisers about the problem?
Bead roller shop made, Hydraulic Tube Bender shop made, Beater Stand with tool holders shop made, Century 110V Mig welder, Lincoln AC/DC stick welder, O/A welder, Busy Bee 4x6 metal cutting band saw with some mods. multi drills/grinders, both corded and
battery.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-john View Post
For all you guys and gals that have vices, have you spoken to your religious advisers about the problem?
No need all the answers are in the SFT packet.