Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default More parts in one box for brush mower

28hp vert shaft engine with starter

30" heavy brush blade

2 packs of hay drum cutter blades

2 rear differentials, one geared, one hydro.

6 sets of rear tires to choose a pair from

3 riding mower frames for parts

about 20 riding mowers for odds and end parts.

1) 4'x8' .125" sheet

1) 4'x8' .1875" sheet

2) 4'x4' .250" sheet

2 1/2" round stock

Bearings, flange and pillow

I have yet to decide on whether to make this thing as a single blade of a 30" cut or make up a pair of drums with 4 or more blades on each much like a hay drum cutter.

Of course, I could always make the cutting decks removable and interchangeable to take care of what would need to be cut and rowed for pickup. For broom stalks the drums are the only way to go not wanting to shred the material.

For 2 seasons now I've been growing a small plot, 1/8 acre, of grass for broom making and it's a bit trying to bundle the stuff after cutting it with my SA and sickle mower. Using a dual drum cutter would place the cuttings in a center pile/row and making it easier to pickup and store.

Collector of, shooter of and builder of "TightAir Guns".

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Roving Reporter

What you really need for this is an antique binder. Cuts the plant, lays it on a belt, separates and ties bundles about 10" in diameter, and bunches them before dumping. A precursor to combine threshing.

Hard to find a running unit, and those that can be found are made of gold.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 PM

I have a pto driven Johndeere if you need a project
Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Keep us posted on the project, LW. It sounds interesting.
It is tempting to blame others for all this, especially those in control of the system, but don’t forget that for decades you voted for people who routinely lied before elections, and told you what you wanted to hear, that you could have it all right now and to hell with the future – well, that future has now arrived. Clive Maund

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:45 AM
Lord of the Minions

I see one difference between going with a dual or quad drum cutting system over a shredder type blade system.

The drum cutters will slice the bottoms and just lay all of the cut stalk in between a pair of drums. Allowing the need for less hp or less need for hard work for the engine.

Having a shredder type system will grind/mulch a lot more shit before it gets dumped out of the chute meaning more torque loss and more work for the engine to keep up. Of course a 30" cut and almost 30 hp should not be a problem in that vein.

One pasture is giving up about 40 large round bales and for that I'm using the sickle mower before calling for a rake and baler. The pasture behind the house etc is to be kept clean and cut so a shredder is more to my liking every month or so.

I've been throwing wild flowers in it for a few seasons now for color and for the bee's and gardens sake. Thinking of doing the same for the acre to the West of the house to the road as well next grass season trimming spots and plots to make things a tad nice.

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Director of Languages

I think for the type of cutting you're talking about a brush hog style swinging blade has to be the way to go, will you have a belt drive or some sort of slip clutch along the way to allow a bit of give?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
The drum cutters will slice the bottoms and just lay all of the cut stalk in between a pair of drums. Allowing the need for less hp or less need for hard work for the engine.

Having a shredder type system will grind/mulch a lot more shit before it gets dumped out of the chute meaning more torque loss and more work for the engine to keep up. Of course a 30" cut and almost 30 hp should not be a problem in that vein.
Yup, that's why I made the Thrash-A-Matic the way I did, no enclosure to capture and re-cut (and mulch) the cuttings, I don't have the hydraulic
power to do all that.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've got pulley's for dual belt drive for the blade system and a slip clutch that could be added, but don't think I'll throw the clutch into the mix using belts. A correct pull spring that is placed in the system slack pulley does enough work for slippage when needed.

Stepford Father added springs to a mower I owned saying the belts kept slipping. I soon realized he was trying to mow two foot of pasture grass with it. I fixed it to where he had to buy his own mower to tear up.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Lord of the Minions

I may have a bar in front to lay over what's fixing to get the knife and possibly something on the sides but for sure the back will be closed off for my safety.

I never have to worry about something thrown to the sides or front and in fact no one is here to drop shit in grass but me to worry about it.

I have a pair of leggings that a Catcher would wear behind the plate. lol

Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Lord of the Minions

Question.......... most all of the older single belly mowers of the 50's up to the 70's used single blades of about 4' and a few inches long.

The longest blades I'm seeing now are 4', but most will use a center hub or what's called a stump jumper pan and then have two free swinging blades attached to that to make the full width cut.

My question is 'what/is there a benefit to having two free swinging blades over a single hefty blade doing the work?

I can see that if one of the two free swingers were to hit something there would be the ability to somewhat absorb the shock over one solid blade.

But, is there a difference in the amount of torque/cutting moment between the two with consideration to inertia?