Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Amalgam

Default Air circulation in the workshop.

Hey you guys,
I came to the forum happy as always because you guys are my mentors and I always find everything that I need here. But some of the previous threads' titles caught my attention and I decided to read them before posting this thread. Well, a black shadow of panic is floating over my head now. I am a very apprehensive person and everything that has to do with hazardous situations scare the Jesus out of me. This introduction came because the question that I have is directly related to some of the situations presented in the previous threads that I just read. Here is the deal. I have the opportunity to build my own studio in my own house. However, since this is a deed-restricted community I must soundproof my shop so I do not bother my neighbors. So far, that is not a problem. Now, in order for the shop to be soundproof it has to be enclosed; that is the problem. I already design a small area inside the shop where I will do the cutting, grinding, and sanding that will have a very good dust collector system. This way I will keep the dust confine to one particular enclosed area in the shop. So I think the first hazardous issue is under control. Now, what about the welding fumes? I use MIG and O/A welding system. So I am thinking about installing a good professional exhaust system very close to my welding table. However how good is a good exhaust system? The dimension of the room is 15’ x 17’ x 9’ tall. I know the companies that sell the system can help me with the calculations, but I want to hear the answer from my great old doctors (you guys) Do you think that it is safe what I am doing?... Cutter, I know I am always short on information, so please let me know if I need to say more about the project so you guys can advise me.

Thank you

Alfredo
Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Alfredo,

Talk with three or four residential HVAC contractors. Tell them that you want an "air to air heat exchanger" built into the ventilation system - this captures the heat (or the cold) that's being exhausted & recovers a large percentage of that heat or cold.

Wood dust collectors are suitable for collecting wood dust ONLY!!!!!!!! One spark from grinding turns a wood dust collector into a high volume smoke generator. I tired that experiment once in a basement shop - got all the smoke out in only four or five hours, spent the next day cleaning up dry chem from the extinguishers, etc. If you plan to collect metallic dusts, buy an approved collector:
http://dust-collectors.globalspec.co...ust_Collectors
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgam
Cutter, I know I am always short on information, so please let me know if I need to say more about the project so you guys can advise me.

Thank you

Alfredo
Alfredo, I always smile when I read your wonderfully polite and thoughtful posts here.
I think you did real good on this one; you might mention the types of metal you work with.
That's about all I can think of to add.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 AM

I am currently doing plasma cutting and welding in a 2 car garage. After a short time of plasma cutting the whole garage will be filled with smoke. I know this can't be healthy. This time of year I can't leave the doors open because the shop is heated. I am seriously considering buying an air filtration system commonly used in wood shops for dust control. This is not the system that hooks up to the machine. Instead it is about a 3 foot square box that hangs from the ceiling and filters the air through filters. The brands I looked at such as Delta claim to filter the air down to 1 micron, which I think would take care of much of the harmful smoke. The also claim to filter allthe air in the garage up to 12 times and hour. I feel these units are reasonably priced at around $200-$300. One thing I am curious about is how long the filters would last before needing cleaned or replaced. Does anyone else think this filtration system might work?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Amalgam

Precisioworks... your answer made me think out of the box. I was looking at the link you sent me and also was googling (I love how we transform everything into verbs ) around and found a bounch of alternatives.

Cutter...Thanks for helping me. So far I only work with mild steel and use a MIG welder. But I am going to start working with non-ferrous and also will be using O/A torches. I also want to do plasma cutting

weldinkurtz... Great question. That is exactly the size of the studio that I am going to build, so we are on the same boat. I do not think one of those Delta hooks will work well for fumes, but it could be great for dust collection. I think you need to look for fumes extractors. There are a lot of them in the market and are special for welding fumes.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Rickairmedic (mia member) would be an excellent resource here.

I fight the same problem in my shop however I am not restricted with the noise issue like you are. So I just open up doors and ventilate. 99% of my plasma cutting is done outside even in winter. IMO grinding will generate more dust/fume than Mig welding clean dry steel or aluminum. If you have to do everything in you enclosed building stay far away from any galvanized material.

Air changes per hour along with a good collection and filtering system is what you are going to have to look into. Lincoln sells some weld fume collection and filtering system as well as Torit. I have never priced them I am sure they are not cheap.

Sorry for not being much help.

Please share with us what you discover and decide on.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Ya know there are times when a fella smiles specially when he feels like his buddies miss him .Ok now onto the important matter of Alfredos air filtering problems .I have a few options here one is a low key low dollar option I have made this set up for several freinds shops locally .I take an old blower assembly also known as a squirel cage out of a used furnace . We cut a hole into the wall up in the rafters of the shop or garage the size of the opening of the blower assembly then mount the unit to the inside of the hole and wire it into a 110 volt light switch so it can be turned on or off when needed . Then we build a screen to mount to the outside of the wall using metal screen and framing for window screens . if you crack the garage door and turn this on it will keep the air in the shop fresh constantly . The other option is a filtration system the manufacturer of which escapes me at the moment they are used in bars to clean the air and work well I will call one of my suppliers tomorrow and get the name of the manufacturer for you and post it here as well .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Ok I found one of the manufacturers I was talking about Well Ok technically Tomgirl found it and instant messaged me with it there are many options on this site I am posting a link to from simple electronic air filters which go into a furnace much like your current filters do now in your home heating and air system I like these filters and can tell you they will remove smoke and fumes .From there they also have several other options if you look around the site and you can spend thousands on fume extraction systems .Check the link and let me know if you have any questions .

http://www.breathepureair.com/electrofilter_res.html

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Thumbs up To Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic
Ya know there are times when a fella smiles specially when he feels like his buddies miss him .Ok now onto the important matter of Alfredos air filtering problems .I have a few options here one is a low key low dollar option I have made this set up for several freinds shops locally .I take an old blower assembly also known as a squirel cage out of a used furnace . We cut a hole into the wall up in the rafters of the shop or garage the size of the opening of the blower assembly then mount the unit to the inside of the hole and wire it into a 110 volt light switch so it can be turned on or off when needed . Then we build a screen to mount to the outside of the wall using metal screen and framing for window screens . if you crack the garage door and turn this on it will keep the air in the shop fresh constantly . The other option is a filtration system the manufacturer of which escapes me at the moment they are used in bars to clean the air and work well I will call one of my suppliers tomorrow and get the name of the manufacturer for you and post it here as well .

Rick
Ears must be ringing,,,!!!!!!The club that im a member of, (private so you can still smoke in there) membership has doubled and they put in 3 smoke eaters,,,thinks thats what they call them? They pop like a bug zapper,,,as Im still in the fight with city hall over the shop,,Sorry empire state building going up,,I wired my hot air furnace in the over 3 car garage so the burner kicks off, and just the blower kicks on,,,open up one of the doors, 2" and go out side,,after plasma cutting for a hour,,or tinning a annode getting it ready for lead,,looks like a fire,,with the smoke bellowing out,,But like Ron,,I dont have a neibor or noise complaits up here,,,and seems to hold most of the heat pretty well!!!!So the recovery time isnt to bad,,,and at the cost of oil,,,OUCH,,and I was lucky and locked in,,Are we kinda talking about the same animals,,,those smoke eaters are big and expensive,,,the door trick is the answer till the muselium gets it building permit reinstated,,,,Thanks,Jack

Last edited by storts; 02-22-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling,,,I should have a button