Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

JR Welding Tools
SFT Search:   

Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM
tnfarmboy

Default New Welder

I went and picked up my new welder this morning. Barely fit in the truck, for a minute there I thought that I should have brought the flat bed truck, actually I should have because I wound up getting a drill press that I have to go back and get. That's ok, cool shop with lots of goodies and good conversation.

Anyway, I agreed to buy the welder for $100 and then when I got there he said that he would let me have the cooler/cart for another $100 so I got the whole rig for $200. The heli arc don't work and he didn't remember what happened but while we were looking at it discovered the rheostat or whatever on the pedal was busted, so I guess that is the place to start whenever I get around to looking at fixing that. Right now I just want to burn some 7018's…I finally have DC!!!

Anybody know anything about these old workhorses?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Post Fiend

I don't believe you deserve a "you suck" until we see the cooler/cart AND until you get it running (is it?).

That pedal looks totally shot but don't toss it yet! I'd adapt a pedal from something else but you have to know how many ohms this one is to get a comparible unit. Someone else may have a better idea or know of a source.

The High Freq. not working might just be points that are dirty, corroded or mis-adjusted. .010" is probably a good start. Be prepared to take switches apart to clean and lube them which should bring the switches back to life.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Lord of the Reins

That is one bigass welding machine!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Nice find and I'm jealous.

Tool's,...................
Too much to list.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 PM
tnfarmboy

Ok, finally got it unloaded...there has been strange wet stuff falling from the sky all day. Also, had to put the loader back together on the tractor and UPS didn't run until 2:00 to bring two new hyd clys...that's another story

Here are a few pictures. It will sit in that corner for a while, until I get to work on the shop, it don't roll too easy on that gravel. There is a schematic on the back pannel (last pic), guess I need to get a good picture of that before something happens to it. I haven't fired it up yet, I'll do that tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

I have a friend that had a big P&H engine drive. Probably from the 50's. It looked a lot like a SA-200. It was the old county portable welding rig. It had a continental engine.

He ended up trading it for something and I didn't have a place to put it at the time. I would sure love a chance at it now.

Good luck with your new find. looks like it was built with the life expectancy of nearly forever.

Don
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
better w/bacon

Back in '64 working at my buds shop we had a similar P&H machine that looked old at the time, was used only for tig or heliarc as it was refereed to at the time, all stick was via generator machines, GE as I remember. While they no longer build skid mtd. gas compressor units, the machines are still in place.
Good luck
L*S
Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Elite Member

I'm sure that "vicegrip" will be along to help you over on the Hobart board / you could pm him as he has had some experience with the old P&H tig units...
Good Luck,
Mike

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM
tnfarmboy

Got it going today and burned a few 7018's & 6013's. Both both AC & DC seem to work just fine. I think that I'm gonna like this big old thing!!